I think I might have something wrong with my 1911

This is a discussion on I think I might have something wrong with my 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a used Springfield 1911 Loaded LW, and I was running a function check on it using the 1911 function check link. When ...

Thread: I think I might have something wrong with my 1911

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I just bought a used Springfield 1911 Loaded LW, and I was running a function check on it using the 1911 function check link. When I got to the sear engagement test, I let the slide slam forward using the slide stop to release it, and the hammer fell to the half cock notch. It is a good thing I have not fired this thing yet, I'm afraid it will go full auto on me if I do. What should be done?

Thanks in advance.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

JD
    Administrator
    The sear or hammer hooks are off, take it to a smith, better yet call Springfield...

Administrator
    How familiar are you with the 1911 regarding doing a complete disassembly and reassembly?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have never completely disassembled a 1911. I will certainly be taking it to a gunsmith.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I have never completely disassembled a 1911. I will certainly be taking it to a gunsmith.
    See instructions here: http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

I'd have it looked at as you're not familiar with the parts yet, but as it's a Springfield if there's something wrong, contact them and they will fix it.

Administrator
    OK
    Absolutely then that is the best and safest thing to do in your case.

I was going to suggest that you buy a mated aftermarket hammer and sear combo that already have the engagement surfaces honed and polished.
    And while they USUALLY drop right in...sometimes you need to slightly refit the thumb safety.

But, since all of the parts that you would be working with are critical regarding function/safety you had best let a qualifed gun smith handle it.

Administrator
    You have a few ways to go regarding a gun smith.
    You can have the smith recut and fit the existing hammer/sear engagement surfaces or have the hammer & sear completely replaced.
    OR sometimes just a replacement high quality sear will do the trick and you can keep your existing hammer.

I should add that if the gun-smith that you pick seems high priced - remember that a best quality tool-steel aftermarket hammer and sear retail for about $90. and you can expect to have some labor added on top of that.

On the bright side you'll never wear them out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Or...as JD suggested. You can just contact Springer and send it in and say "FIX IT"

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Unless you are up for beginning customization on the pistol. send it to Springfield and let them do the work for free. New or used, they'll cover shipping both ways, and fix it like new (only issue might be if it's been altered, but I've heard of them picking up the tab even then). Won't cost you a dime (spend the $ on ammo to shoot when it gets back!). The warranty is lifetime.

Kudos to DC for keeping the function test posted as a sticky, and to you for having the presence of mind to check it.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I ended up taking it to a gun smith who happens to be a die hard 1911 guy. He told me there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the sear, except for some minor wear on one side. He put the gun back together, and it functioned as it should, and I can't seem to get the problem to occur again. He did adjust the trigger over travel I think its called, and that might have done the trick. If not, the smith suggested an Ed Brown sear and hammer kit, which will set me back about 150 dollars.

I don't think anyone should own a 1911 without knowing how to take it apart and put it back together. It is fairly simple to learn and a must to know how it works and how to mildly tune it when you need to. Do yourself a favor and learn. There is plenty of online information that should teach you all you need to know. Also remember that Springfield has excellent customer service and, when it doubt, ship it out (if you don't feel confident enough to learn). I would bet you half the guns they work on are just simply a small adjustment to the Extractor. If not more than half.

Administrator
    Ed Brown.
    Some of The Very Best aftermarket "parts" available out there in my opinion.

Shoot it a bit and then function check it again and see if it's OK.

The hammer will always get caught by that half-cock notch so go ahead and shoot it.

If you want to play it extra safe.
    Load your 1st magazine with only 2 rounds - then three & so on.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    C&S is also a great company for 1911 parts. Glad she's running for you. As already stated SA's customer service is second to none. My Recently departed Chamion (stamped Brazil) made 5 trips there. You call their 800 #, they send you a shipping labe via e-mail or regular mail. Ship it off and they will fix it. All of which is free of charge.

My 1990 5" Springer has Never been to the Doctor since birth. He turns 19 this July. Think I'll buy him a 100 rds. of Ranger 230 grainers as he likes them alot.
    Last edited by Sportsterguy; January 31st, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: sp
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Sponsored Links