My new EDC

This is a discussion on My new EDC within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you may have read my thread where I reported my beloved old Mercedes Diesel burned up and took out my G27 and holster ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new EDC

My new EDC

Some of you may have read my thread where I reported my beloved old Mercedes Diesel burned up and took out my G27 and holster with it. Was in the glove box because I work on a Campus where it is a zone. So it was too late when I thought of it and it was destroyed. Was my favorite with the Rhome Desbian made Pancake holster. They both were lost. I was going to get another but my Kid had one that was his back up when he worked at the University PD where he had to furnish his own. And now that he works over at a City PD where they furnish a back up its sitting unused. So I will probably get that one. So that left me with an open spot to try something else too.

I always wanted to try a Officers or Commander size 1911 so was going around town today collecting current prices (for insurance purposes) on G27s all the while sort of looking to see what was out there. You rarely see one of these in stock so I broke down and bought it. Had a Jitt Slide laying around for it.

Came home and cleaned it, and checked the extractor tension and oiled it up nicely and proceeded to fire off 40 rounds of 230 grain WWB without a hitch. Then tried a mag full of Hornady Tap Personal Defense in 230 grain as well. Had one Failure to Feed the very last round. Switched back to WWB and ran another 40 rounds through without a hitch. Then cleaned it up and took you guys and gals some photos of it. Shoots well. Nice and crisp! I think I am going to like it. Appears a good one once I get the thing to like HP or find the right HP. Going to run another 100 round of WWB through it first before I waste any of the good stuff again on it. Currently just carry it with Ball ammo just to be sure its dependable. Loves the WWB but it sure is dirty stuff but better than a sharp stick I imagine.

Colt Defender - Series 90 - lightweight.

Whats left of the G27

Here is the car on fire (and yes... the rounds did cook off)

And here is what it looked like a few weeks before it caught fire and burned up. Was a total loss of course.

2. Remove Ads

Nice!

Nice! Sorry about your Glock, but I think you come out better with the Colt.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I am more sorry about the car... but... whatcha gonna do?

LOL.. that's what I meant.. Sorry about the car...No Glock fan here.. you upgraded your piece now go get a new Benz
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Did you ever contact Glock or send the remains of the G27 back to them?

Sweet! Save those pics and throw in your best for next months Pic Of The Month thread!

Sorry. That is sad. The picture of the Glock, especially. Thank God you or none of your fmaily were in the car.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

I have to keep the remains of the Glock a little while longer until I am though dealing with the Home owners insurance but I might then talk to Glock. But I do have another one available already so was not planning on purchasing another.

I was driving the car (home from work and alone) when I smelled smoke and pulled over in that Church parking lot when the fire broke out under the dash and quickly spread. I tried to figure out how to stop it, had no fire extinguisher, and by the time I attempted to douse it with what was left in a jug of water in the trunk, dialed 911 and only then thought about the Glock. It was to late and dangerous to try and retrieve the Glock. I was afraid it was going to start cooking off any time. I wasn't worried about the ones in the Magazine but I was concerned about the one in the chamber. They did all cook off though. I didn't see anything exit the Vehicle. They all cooked off before the Fire Dept got there.

The first thing I did before buying this was buy Halotron fire extinguishers for each and every vehicle I own.

Thats the wifes E320 Wagon I took the photo's on. For some reason the Tri Star just went with the Colt I thought.

I am indeed looking for a replacement but finding one solid as that one was to start on, and thinking about all the time and effort I had put into that one sort of finding it hard to get motivated to start over. The insurance company took care of be well though. Gave me more than I was thinking they would.

Another thing I can advise you on, if you ever do a restoration like that, is take lots of pictures and document everything and keep it safe. It made a huge difference in proving the value of a 25 year old car. Thousands of Dollars difference I can tell you. Like perhaps 6 thousand more than I would have gotten without documents and pictures. Normal valuation of that car was $1800. With documents and many high resolution pictures and tons of receipts...... $8500. Yea.... thats how much difference it was.

Assistant Administrator
    Very sad demise of a beaut automobile - seems fires can take hold very fast when they start as dash fires ... possibly even an extinguisher may not have saved the day.

The Glock - pity too and yeah - polymer burns!!!

Nice Colt - great gun in a totally different league. Nice pics.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Personally I'd take that over a Glock any day!

Very nice looking weapon. Congratulations!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yes... its perhaps the Mecedes of EDC's and the Glock being the Honda Accord of EDC's.

Hey... answer me this one... does the Defender accept standard 1911 grip panels? I am thinking not. But it will take officers sizes?

I know its a round shorter mags so... just wondering.

This set that comes on it looks like Houge wrap arounds to me.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Very sad demise of a beaut automobile - seems fires can take hold very fast when they start as dash fires ... possibly even an extinguisher may not have saved the day.
    In this case I believe I might could have. I saw it burst into flames from smoke as I came to a stop and shut the key off. I could see the light of the fire start. Had I responded immediately I might could have saved the car. But, I agree, its all conjecture. But at least with an extinguisher you do not feel helpless while you stand there. You can attempt to do something.

It appears now that the Climate control system overheated and ignited the wiring insulations that passes over it. This all due to an Auxiliary water pump that it controls for its own use that likely went out and shorted back. It now appears this wire is not fused in any way so thereby continuing to flow current. It was as simple as knowing this and adding a fuse. But, I had never heard of this before. Had I known it would have been corrected. It appears rare but it has been noted before. Not that its always resulted in fire but it has been noted that they have burned themselves up.

This also points out the importance of a battery quick disconnect. Like they use in racing. Should be on any car really. How fast can you disconnect a battery if you had to due to a short?

When you think about it...there is a TON of fuel in the interior of a car. Plastics and Foams and Carpet. All highly flammable. Worst place for one to start. Lots to burn.

Rhome just emailed me today that the Holster for this one is done and should be on its way first of the week. It will be a 15 degree cant pancake with Sharkskin trim. Black of course. Can't wait!

I'd be willing to bet that you can get that slide up and running again. No refinishing will be allowed.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links