Pistol service life?

This is a discussion on Pistol service life? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Had a Browning BDM 9mm pistol through the 1990's and put nearly 40K rds through it. Did little other than swap the recoil spring, magazine ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pistol service life?

Had a Browning BDM 9mm pistol through the 1990's and put nearly 40K rds through it. Did little other than swap the recoil spring, magazine springs, and keep it clean and lubed. By the time I sold it, it was time for a gunsmith's attentions on all the (internal) springs, but otherwise it was nicely broken-in and worked flawlessly. While some have reported the thinner steel frame of the BDM could experience cracks early in life, I've never had a pistol so utterly reliable as this one. Once it was broken-in (after ~8-10K rds), everything settled to near perfection. Kept getting more accurate and reliable after that point. Haven't seen such performance since, on any gun.

Had I kept it, and I should have, I would simply have had a gunsmith give it the once over, then continued as normal. By now, I'd likely have another barrel or two and 100K rds through it, unless the frame were to develop cracks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

me
    I would look at this another way. If a firearm has a service life then this is the time period which the manufacture will expect that the gun will be reliable.

Maybe we should look at the service life as when we should consider retiring that firearm from it's carry duties and let it be a range gun.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Sounds like my sig should last then. I clean it thoroughly after every range session, and I keep everything properly lubed. I replace parts when they start to wear out. I'm still getting another one though...I've got the signess
    REMEMBER - you can not own just one, or two or ten.

You must own as many as you can fit in your safe and then buy a bigger safe and start over. It's a GREAT illness to have! It will last a life time.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    so what is the "life expectancy" of glocks? they are one of the major manufacturers that werent brought up . . .
    Some people out there have Glocks with six figure round counts through them.

Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    so what is the "life expectancy" of glocks? they are one of the major manufacturers that werent brought up . . .
    That depends on who you ask and how it's used. I've heard stories of unbelieveable number of rounds and seen videos of absolute abuse.
    I personally have had 2 MAJOR failures out of the 18 or 19 (I lost track - maybe more) Glocks I have owned. The 1st was a cracked slide on my 1st M17 (at 100000+ rounds) - replaced free by Glock. The 2nd was a broken frame rail on an E series M23 (at over 25000 rounds) - replaced free by Glock. Please note that they both continued to function even when broken. Everyone will experience something different but overall Glocks are dependable and durable. Start shooting and counting - let us know what happens.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

My G22 duty gun has over 9000 rounds through it and is still running perfectly. The finish has a good bit of holster wear, but that's ok. I had one of the receiver pins break and I found it on a random detailed inspection. I have no idea how long it had been broken since it was still running fine. It seems like you can't wear out a Glock. I use them for rental guns in my CWP classes because of that.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    That depends on who you ask and how it's used. I've heard stories of unbelieveable number of rounds and seen videos of absolute abuse.
    I personally have had 2 MAJOR failures out of the 18 or 19 (I lost track - maybe more) Glocks I have owned. The 1st was a cracked slide on my 1st M17 (at 100000+ rounds) - replaced free by Glock. The 2nd was a broken frame rail on an E series M23 (at over 25000 rounds) - replaced free by Glock. Please note that they both continued to function even when broken. Everyone will experience something different but overall Glocks are dependable and durable. Start shooting and counting - let us know what happens.
    at the rate im goin here lately its gonna take me a good little while, since ive had my glock for 6 months now and maybe have 500 rounds thru it, and that is a high guess, lol. having no money makes it hard to shoot as much as id like :( but ill keep yall posted :D lol

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's Chuck Taylor who has a G17 with over 250k through it?

If we maintain it properly, most of us will never wear out a well-built gun.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Service life is one thing I've never really considered too much. I kind of expected that any quality gun would last me my whole life, just changing springs every 5k rounds or so, barrels and other moving parts when they need it. Over on sigforum, someone mentioned something about them wearing out around 20k rounds, and eventually the rails get pretty chewed up. Did some more looking and milspec requires a service life of 20k rounds, and HK claims theirs have a life of 30k rounds.

Maybe I shoot more than most people, but at 20k for the life of the pistol...that's gonna last me about 3-5 years. I shoot once or twice a week, and average probably 250 rounds per session. Anyone have any insight?
    Agencies may have specs on service life but that often doesn't match up with reality.
    A lot of it simply depends on the design.
    I have Glocks that have far exceeded any so called "service life" and they run just fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links