Pistol service life?

This is a discussion on Pistol service life? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Service life is one thing I've never really considered too much. I kind of expected that any quality gun would last me my whole life, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol service life?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Pistol service life?

Service life is one thing I've never really considered too much. I kind of expected that any quality gun would last me my whole life, just changing springs every 5k rounds or so, barrels and other moving parts when they need it. Over on sigforum, someone mentioned something about them wearing out around 20k rounds, and eventually the rails get pretty chewed up. Did some more looking and milspec requires a service life of 20k rounds, and HK claims theirs have a life of 30k rounds.

Maybe I shoot more than most people, but at 20k for the life of the pistol...that's gonna last me about 3-5 years. I shoot once or twice a week, and average probably 250 rounds per session. Anyone have any insight?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Sell your pistol when you've put about 15k through it and buy another one?

True. I've been reading more and I guess it's basically like a car. It wears out over time and there's nothing you can do. I am just real sentimental about things. I guess it's not so bad to have to get a new $1000 pistol after putting near $10,000 of ammo through it...

I bought it to shoot it though, not to be a safe queen, so I guess it's an excuse to buy more guns
    -Ryan

Buy a Springfield. With a lifetime warrantee, they will replace anything except the springs when it wears out.

Sig also has a lifetime warranty. Screw it though, when I get back home I'm buyin another 229DAK, and a 226 equinox.
    -Ryan

VIP Member
    Going to depend on the manufacturer. Here is the service life requirements for the CZ P-01, and since the P-06 is the same gun other than caliber I would expect it to be the same.

The service life requirement from the Czech police was 15,000 rounds of +P ammo.
    The pistol will exceed 30,000 rounds with ball 9mm.

Quick question, when a pistol reaches the end of its "service life" what most commonly fails? What part wears out that necessitates a rebuild or replacement?

Edit: BTW I carry a Bersa 380 which some have said has a service life of 5 to 8 thousand rounds; which is fine for a $200 gun with a lifetime warranty. I believe that each manufacturer will have its own service life for each different pistol it makes and how that weapon is treated will have en effect on service life. It just has to.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Every 5k rounds most of the springs need replaced. After around 15k, firing pins start breaking and the rails get pretty worn and loose. Barrels also wear out around 10k from what I understand...the rifling just gets washed out and doesn't bite anymore. Other "consumables" wear out over time too, and are usually a pretty simple replacement (hammers, sears, trigger bars, etc)
    -Ryan

As long as you maintain your guns, they'll outlast you - and should be there to pass on through the family lines.

I shoot a lot more than most people I know. I replace my springs once a year as preventative maintenence, and clean my carry gun once a week and relube it - same with after I shoot it.

They'll be around for a long time.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

So is the "service life" they are talking about just if you fire without replacing anything at all, it is going to break after 20k rounds? (also, yes, I know it's an average over a bunch of guns so it could happen any time around there)
    -Ryan

Personally, especially if it's a steel framed gun or a loosely built polymer gun - I think they're smoking something strong if they believe the gun will only last 20K rounds if it's cleaned and maintained properly - especially if only standard pressure rounds are used.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

I have / had handguns with well over 50000 and one with over 100000 rounds. They take maintenance and sometimes repairs but most will take the use if you watch them and maintaine them. However, that round count is the exception, most I trade / sell with far fewer rounds. The "GOODS ONES" I keep and shoot the crap out of them. I also have some safe Queens that see limited use. I think the 20000 to 30000 round service life is for average / liability claims. Note that some will last less that 5000 rounds but if you do you homework, you can find the long term keepers.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Sounds like my sig should last then. I clean it thoroughly after every range session, and I keep everything properly lubed. I replace parts when they start to wear out. I'm still getting another one though...I've got the signess
    -Ryan

I know this may be hard to believe, but my dad (born in 1900) bought a Colt's Pocket 32 auto in 1928, and it still shot fine in the 1990's, just before his death. He carried it all over the world with him.
    He practiced with it ocassionaly, and all it got was normal maint. and a spring or two.

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

so what is the "life expectancy" of glocks? they are one of the major manufacturers that werent brought up . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links