Whats in your mag - Page 4

Whats in your mag

This is a discussion on Whats in your mag within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry Speer Gold Dot 147 grain JHP ammo. I also have Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP as well....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats in your mag

I carry Speer Gold Dot 147 grain JHP ammo. I also have Speer Gold Dot 124 grain JHP as well.

VIP Member
    I back load my .380 with fmj 90 gr. First 4 are "self defense rounds."

I have a full mag of hollow points in my .40 and a spare mag of fmj.

9mm either Ranger Bonded 147gr. or Golden Saber 147gr.
    .380ACP - Golden Saber 102gr.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbtide View Post
    I found a box of .40 black talons for a good price. That's what I have loaded now.
    FYI:

While Black Talons are a wonderful defensive round, in Florida they are illegal to carry in a pistol that you carry outside your home, or business.

Florida statues prohibit any ammo that is explosive, or armor penetrating, being carried in your pistol.

Just thought you should know…

For that reason I carry the new Winchester T’s.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    FYI:

While Black Talons are a wonderful defensive round, in Florida they are illegal to carry in a pistol that you carry outside your home, or business.

Florida statues prohibit any ammo that is explosive, or armor penetrating, being carried in your pistol.

Black Talon's are just SXTs without the coating, they're neither explosive nor armor penetrating, has Florida outlawed them for some other reason?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    Black Talon's are just SXTs without the coating, they're neither explosive nor armor penetrating,
    +1
    However Black Talons are not just SXTs, the Supreme SXTs do not
    have the same talons ,they just peel back when they expand.

The Ranger Talons or the new Ranger Ts are the replacements for
    the Black Talons , but the talons are shorter than talons on the original Black Talons to give them better penetration.

I do carry two types of ammo in one magazine , I alternate
    PowRer Ball (100 grains)and the original Black Talons(147 grains)
    in my M&P9C and CZ 75 P01.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    in both my .45acp, and 9mm, I carry corbon pow'r ball ammo.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Black Talon's are just SXTs without the coating, they're neither explosive nor armor penetrating, has Florida outlawed them for some other reason?

Yes, only the old black talons with the Teflon coating are illegal… The newer Ranger T’s or the other replacments that had no teflon coating are not

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ASSA9 View Post
    +1
    However Black Talons are not just SXTs, the Supreme SXTs do not
    have the same talons ,they just peel back when they expand.

The Ranger Talons or the new Ranger Ts are the replacements for
    the Black Talons , but the talons are shorter than talons on the original Black Talons to give them better penetration.

I do carry two types of ammo in one magazine , I alternate
    PowRer Ball (100 grains)and the original Black Talons(147 grains)
    in my M&P9C and CZ 75 P01.
    Precisely what I meant when I said I carried the new and improved descendant to the Black Talon (RA45T).

The Black Talon was killed off by Winchester when it began to be vilified in the press (hence the beginning of rumors that cause misinformation like "it is outlawed"). They were handling a PR issue in what they felt was their best interest. At the time, it was arguably some of the best defensive ammo on the market. But it has now been improved upon with the Ranger Talons (does not say Talon anywhere, it is part of the Ranger SXT family, product code is RA45T for the .45 ACP version). It is restricted by Winchester as a LEO only round, but fortunately there are sources for us civilians who feel we also deserve top notch defensive ammo. BTW, the Federal HST is also listed by Federal as LEO ammo.

On mixing mags, I just don't see the need for any of my primary carry calibers .45, .44 spl. or 9mm. Might make some sense in .380, but that is generally a BUG for me when carrying, and the defensive HP's fill both mags at this point.

In my household 870, there are five rounds of 00 Buck on top of 2 1oz. slugs. But that's about it.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Yes, only the old black talons with the Teflon coating are illegal… The newer Ranger T’s or the other replacments that had no teflon coating are not
    Are you certain? For the record, the black coating was not Teflon. Are you sure you're not mixing these with the famed "Cop Killer" Teflon coated rounds from KTW? Talk about a P R nightmare....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

FYI:

I believe even Federal law prohibits armor penetrating bullets (AP) that can be used in any handgun from even being made, sold to general public or imported and it defines these as well. Even lists some specific ones and some specific exemptions as well. I don't believe you can even buy a clearly defined AP handgun round as it stands. I would think that Florida law is simply restating the obvious if so.

Most of the hullaballo lately has been over "Pistols" that are firing Rifle cartridges though. Not specific handgun rounds. As those handgun rounds are not even made, sold or imported anymore by Federal law. And I don't think they were ever available to the general public anyway.

I'm with Jim. I don't worry at all about my 125 grain JHP .357 SIG ammo penetrating from my Glock 33. Or overpenetrating my intended target.
    In my 9mm, it's EFMJ from a short barrel.
    My spare mags are loaded like my primary mags.
    There's no disparity in loads in the same mag, either.

15 Speer Gold Dot.

No, they have not. It was a voluntary pullout by winchester to remove them from circulation and it's not illegal, not anymore than shooting HST, DPX, TAP, GD, or Golden Saber.

Unless there's a link proving otherwise, there is no law that specifically outlines the brands you are and are not allowed to shoot so long as they are not armor piercing, incendiary, or in any way explosive.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

nothing but hornady 124gr JHP/XTP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links