Ruger choice?

Ruger choice?

This is a discussion on Ruger choice? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone CC with this?.... Ruger KP95PR15 (sorry, can't seem to get the pic to size better) I'm looking for my first CCW. I owned large ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger choice?

Ruger choice?

Anyone CC with this?....

Ruger KP95PR15

(sorry, can't seem to get the pic to size better)

I'm looking for my first CCW. I owned large frames for many years, so, that's what I'm comfortable with. However, don't own those anymore, besides, a full sized PT92 might be a bit "bulky".

I'm concidering the Ruger, because it seems to be smaller and more easily concealable yet has some of that "full" sized feel left to it. Plus, I've got a line on one for a price well within my modest budget at the moment.....

Any advice? If I can determine this and a decent holster will work for me, I might actually get to that wally world walk even though I've had my CWP for about 3 months now..

I am a small guy and carry a Ruger 345 as my primary gun. It is about the largest gun that I can comfortably conceal. I am thinking that it is about the same size as the Ruger KP95PR15.

Good luck on your "Wally World Walk"!

I have had a Ruger P95DC for 12-13 years and love that gun. Very accurate and I can never recall it malfunctioning. I rarely CC it, it is mainly my bed side gun. But it is fairly comfortable IMW, but I prefer my PT140 for CC, it's smaller and more comfortable.

I'm thinking I'm going to go back to the store tomorrow and see if they'll let me take one of their stock IWB holsters and see how it fits along with the Ruger.

Should the store have any problems allowing me to do that? I'd think, if it meant a sale, they'd not have any problems.

I know the one I'm looking at seems, at least to me, to be smaller, narrower, and definitely LIGHTER than any of the service sized ones I've owned over the years.

Like I say, I'm just more comfortable and accurate with a "larger" frame firearm. I've tried many of the "compacts" and I just can't seem to get comfortable with them. I'm sure with more practice and time, I could. But, it's beginning to bug me that I've got the permit and I'm still not "protected" as I don't have the tool yet to protect myself. Money's tight, so, I've wanted to really put some time in and make a good decision on what will work best for me. I don't have the luxury of a whole lot of "test drives".

I'm a "larger" than average guy. (read---short, middle aged, fat guy ) So, I'm hoping that I can more easily conceal a medium sized, such as the Ruger KP95, provided I can get a good, properly fitted, IWB holster.

Thanks again

The Ruger P series have a life of their own. Good for the money, dependable and reliable IMO.

I have been carrying a Ruger P95 IWB (small of back) for several months now and it works much better for CC than I ever imagined it would. Add excellent reliability, decent accuracy and excellent price and you have a winner IMHO.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    My EDC is a P97DC (the .45 ACP version of the P95) and it carries very well. The shape of the P-series unfortunately gives an impression that it is much bigger and blockier than it really is.

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    You guys that have the P95 with the rail... have you been able to find holsters? I have a friend who owns one and he can't seem to find a decent holster for the railed version...

Aside from that, I had a P94 for many years in .40 S&W and other than stiff recoil of the .40, it was a fine weapon, I can't recall ever having a malfunction with it... I agree that it's shape makes it look blockier than it is... If I still had it, I'd probably carry it...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I've never cared for the Ruger semi-auto pistols, but I will give credit where it's due. Ruger builds one heck of a tough, reliable gun. I think their customer service is great if you do ever have a problem. On caveat on Ruger service. If you do any custom work to a Ruger (springs, action, etc.), DO NOT send the gun into Ruger with custom parts installed. They will remove your custom parts and put the gun back to original condition. Have heard of this happening to more than one CAS shooter who sent in a gun that had an action job. Luckily, it's a pretty rare occurrence to have to return a Ruger for warranty work.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    The Rugers are not exactly slick and sexy, but like all Rugers, they are built well and will certainly get the job done for a modest price.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've owned and carried a P85 MkII for years, Ruger P Series are tremendous bang for the buck.

Not sure what your holster budget is, but I got a Crossbreed SuperTuck for mine, IWB carry, very comfortable considering the size of the Ruger.

I have been eying the Ruger SR9 for a while now......I have held a few of them and they really are a nice feeling gun. The grip is thin and seems to fit me very well.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have been eying the Ruger SR9 for a while now......I have held a few of them and they really are a nice feeling gun. The grip is thin and seems to fit me very well.

You read my mind. I went to the store today, well, yesterday now, since it's after midnight I guess,.. and they had one I checked out.

It's definitely down to 95 or the SR9. Both closely priced. I really liked the SR9 because it seems to have a lot of that "service sized" feel left to it as well as the 95s, but, seems to be a good deal more concealable. I've shot a 95 and liked it. So, it's still going to be a tough choice. I'll call around tomorrow and see if any of the ranges in the area have a SR9 available for rent first.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your imput. Your advice is very much appreicated. As I say, i can't afford to make any mistakes here. That's why I've taken so long to make my selection.

The CFO, Chief Financial Officer (aka, the Wife) is going to go through the bank account tomorrow. If she approves, I'll likely head back out to the store by Tuesday and, provided I can find a suitable interim holster, I'll make my wally world walk that night.

alienbogey, that makes several votes I've gotten toward the Crossbreed holsters for the Rugers. So, I'm probably going to have to really shake up the banker (again, aka "the wife") and order one.

Thanks again all.

I have an SR9 that I occasionally carry IWB. I love the SR9, and it conceals surprisingly easy because it's so thin. Some people complain about the trigger being gritty, but after a couple hundred rounds it smooths out considerably, and has been completely reliable with all varieties of ammo.

If you're on a budget, check out this IWB holster from High Noon Holsters:
    Bare Asset

I would agree with the poster that said
    The Rugers are not exactly slick and sexy, but like all Rugers, they are built well and will certainly get the job done for a modest price.
    I have a P90 .45, P95 9mm and a LCP and they all fire round after round without issue. All I do is clean them when I get them home and put them away for the next trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links