I am looking for a 357 Snubby

This is a discussion on I am looking for a 357 Snubby within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Get a S&W 360PD - and have the Hammer Bobbed....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am looking for a 357 Snubby

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Get a S&W 360PD - and have the Hammer Bobbed.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

Can't you buy an aftermarket shroud for the hammered S&Ws?

Someone is bound to still sell those...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

jon
    +1 on the 360PD.
    Very light, weighed mine loaded with .357 at 14.1oz.
    A lot of my friends think it is too "painful" to shoot .357's out of but I'm fine with it.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have a couple of J-Frame steel Smiths. With good grips they are not too punishing to shoot for a few rounds.
    I once shot a .357 in a very light Taurus and that one round was enough for me.
    Regards,
    Jerry

357 Snub = Ruger Sp101 !! If you want an Airweight Smith go with a 38Spl like a 642 or 442. GOOD LUCK
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member
    I went with the M&P 340CT and am very glad I did. This gun is a pleasure to carry and I love the large dot front night sight! It's not likely you'll need to cock the hammer on a snuby but that's certainly up to you.

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I just went down this road and ended up with a Sp101. I shot my buddies 340 with a 357 mag in it once. Trust me you want some weight, if not get a 38spl. Lightweight 357's hurt, there no getting around that.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

You guys are Awesome.

OK I have rethought the lightest weight possible and .357 and took heed to someones post about lightest weight feasible in a .357.

I have come to the conclusion that lightest weignt possible is my biggest thing and that 11oz gun is just the ticket.

I also have to have the smallest snubby possible so I will stay with the 5 shot category and shortest barrel in .38

The bobbed hammer is just something I have always been used to as on my S&W Airweight but I can give that up for a hidden hammer--just CANNOT do exposed hammer due to concealablity in a pocket and need it snag-proof.

So I have re-evaluated and will go with a 38 that can handle +P ammo and forget about the .357 (it was a lot to ask) but hey I figured we can put a man on the mood (and get him back again) lol

Thanks a lot guys I will get one of those 11oz 38 snubbys with a hidden hammer.

I am a decent shot and since most firefights are within 7 feet with 3 shots being fired its all good.

Thanks a lot for all the help !!!

Peace
    An armed citizen is a protected citizen.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

I have had no problem dealing with recoil on my 340CT - 125 gr or 158 grain - the recoil pad on the back makes all the difference. 50 - 150 rounds through it once every two weeks or so and no sore hands, no blood blisters, no bruises. looks like a flame thrower when the lights are low.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    This doesn't meet your "lightest possible weight" criterion, but I think it's the best thing going in the range of things you're talking about, and it's for sale:

S&W 649

The hammer is "shrouded", but I found it easy to operate with the thumb, when using the gun in single action mode. And I suggest that the weight is a good thing, given the recoil of a .357 cartridge.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

VIP Member
    I should have mentioned... I carry Gold Dot .38 +P in my M&P 340CT.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry the 340 M&P with Crimson Trace 405's on it. Very happy with it. A couple of thousand rounds (about 1/3 .357's. No sign of problems at all.

There are times I wish I had something a little heavier for practice. But I'm happy everytime I carry it for a day.

The j-frame triggers suck compared to what you can do with a k-frame trigger. Consider that as well. You'll shoot better with a larger frame. The trigger does smooth out after a lot of dry firing. But it will always "stack" compared to larger frame guns with their leaf springs.

But then - nothing conceals better than the j-frame. Worth a heavy trigger? Only you can judge.

This model costs more money than the others. But, I figure, if it's for carry, a few dollars is nothing IMO.

Overall I'm a happy camper.

P.S. - I shoot the DPX ammo for carry. I practice with POI matching reloads. These are lower recoil rounds than many others and more managable out of the light gun - still offering a big step up from .38+p's.

Do consider the lower recoil .357's in a very light weight snub. I've shot a whole lot of boxes of the really hot stuff. I can do it and I rather like to do it. But I simply perform better with the lighter stuff.

I don't beleive ther is much to be gained in a snub with the super hot stuff over the milder rounds like DPX, Golden Sabre, and Gold Dots for short barrels from Speer.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/can_less_be_more.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/C...DPX%20Ammo.htm
    Last edited by Marvin Knox; February 2nd, 2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Another thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Perhaps the "lightest weight possible" could be changed to "the lightest weight that is still sane and advisable." I can fire multiple shots of some pretty oppressive loads though my SP101 snubbies, with no pain. Firing an Airlite with .38 +P a mere six times caused pain that lasted for a couple of weeks, in the base joint of my thumb.

I don't think I would want to try full-velocity .357 in the current M649, much less anything lighter, unless it had oversized rubber grips, and then, it would be about as big as the SP101, anyway.
    I'm with you on this topic, Rexster. I shot my daughter's Airlight with 38 special and I didn't enjoy it at all. Give me a heavy snubbie and load it up with 38 special! Leave 357 for my 686P 6"!
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Glock 45 asked:Freedom, I have been debating beween the regular hammer and the one you have. My wife may end up carrying this gun in a purse or IWB. I think maybe your hammer is better but the only thing I don't like is not being able to cock it for accuracy. Is it easy to get used to DAO ?
    private message sent

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I EDC a S&W 640 but I carry .38 ammo in it. I have (past tense) fired .357 in it and in my S&W 60. My feeling is that you need to go to at least the Ruger SP101. Shooting .357 Mag in a gun weighing less than 32 oz in weight is not a pleasant experience. A 686 with at least 4 " of barrel is my minimum for .357 Mag. Shooting a J-Frame with Mags is like pulling a trailer with a Corvette: It can be done but your not going to enjoy the car! If you need a truck, get a truck. A 686 or N-Frame is a truck. A J-Frame is a sports car.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links