I am looking for a 357 Snubby

This is a discussion on I am looking for a 357 Snubby within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for a 357 snubby but it has to have certain features. 1st--- the lightest weight possible 2nd--- a recessed hammer that I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am looking for a 357 Snubby

I am looking for a 357 Snubby

I am looking for a 357 snubby but it has to have certain features.

1st--- the lightest weight possible

2nd--- a recessed hammer that I can pull back if need be but not get caught up in my pocket (which is where it will be carried mostly)

3rd--- must be snubby (obviously)

Here is a pic of my S&W airweight 38---- something like this-- just in 357 please !!!

Thanks
    An armed citizen is a protected citizen.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

M&P 340 fits your bill...except for it has concealed hammer.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by OrlandoRecon View Post
    I am looking for a 357 snubby but it has to have certain features.

1st--- the lightest weight possible

2nd--- a recessed hammer that I can pull back if need be but not get caught up in my pocket (which is where it will be carried mostly)

3rd--- must be snubby (obviously)
    Lightest S&W® that meets your specs (providing single AND double action capability) is the Mdl 649 OTOH Taurus® offers the Mdl 651B2 and the Mdl 651SS2 for over$300 less cost w/a Lifetime Warranty.

23oz? may as well carry a full size auto.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

.357 magnum in 11.4 ounce gun

For some reason S&W doesn't make the recessed hammer model in the 11.4 ounce scandium snubby, but only the enclosed hammer version with the "340" designation as shown above.

At any rate, I'd suggest shooting a rental gun in the "340" line at the range with .357 ammo before buying one. You should know what kind of recoil is involved before spending the money. Some people (including me) decide that .38 special from a model 642 is adequate, and it also costs a lot less.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Orlando,
    I dont think you are going to get all three features you listed in one particular gun, at least not from S&W. You seem to be looking for the Bodyguard style (Model 649), that negates feature #1, lightness, it weighs about 23 ozs. If you go with the the 340,340 PD you get the light gun ( about 12 ozs) but no hammer, which negates feature two, recessed hammer. I have to agree with Pogo about test firing these snubbies in 357 before buying, they can be punishing. Everything is a compromise, you'll have to decide which features are more important, lightness, recessed hammer, etc. and then pick. I dont know what Taurus offers, maybe you can find a model that has all three features in one of their guns.
    There is one additional point to consider, all the S&W airlight guns Scandium / Titanium frames are limited to jacked ammunition, 38 or 357. S&W advises against using lead bullets in these guns, they have a tendency to unseat the lead bullet heads when firing. No 158gr LSWCHP.

Quote Originally Posted by dawei View Post
    Lightest S&W® that meets your specs (providing single AND double action capability) is the Mdl 649 OTOH Taurus® offers the Mdl 651B2 and the Mdl 651SS2 for over$300 less cost w/a Lifetime Warranty.
    Good luck finding a Taurus 651....I've been looking for over 6 months. Hope they will make a production run soon.

JET

I test fired one of the Airlites that the shop had in used. Put a big bruise and a small blood blister on my hand with one shot.

That nasty recoil is my guess as to why they had it in used.

I then bought the Bodyguard 649.

I have not had any problem with the weight. Been carrying it around for a couple months now.

Both of those have an enclosed hammer so don't meet his 2nd requirement.

OrlandoRecon,
    I'm afraid you're looking for something that doesn't exist. Only options I can see are to get one with an enclosed hammer and live with that or buy one with an external hammer and have a gunsmith bob the hammer leaving just enough to cock but reduce snagging.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Unfortunately, laws of physics dictate that when you have a light weight, but very powerful firearm, recoil is going to be oppressive. I fire my 642 airweight (15 oz.) with +p ammo, and that is the limit of what I want to shoot. Believe me, I'm not recoil shy and I've been shooting for about 40 years, including competitively. Take it from me, you don't want to shoot full load 357s in a 13 oz. gun like the 340!!! I have friends that own the 340 and they carry 38+p ammo which they complain is gruesome to shoot.

If you want a snub that can handle 357s, get yourself a Ruger SP-101.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Unfortunately, laws of physics dictate that when you have a light weight, but very powerful firearm, recoil is going to be oppressive. I fire my 642 airweight (15 oz.) with +p ammo, and that is the limit of what I want to shoot. Believe me, I'm not recoil shy and I've been shooting for about 40 years, including competitively. Take it from me, you don't want to shoot full load 357s in a 13 oz. gun like the 340!!! I have friends that own the 340 and they carry 38+p ammo which they complain is gruesome to shoot.

If you want a snub that can handle 357s, get yourself a Ruger SP-101.

+1 on the Ruger SP 101. I have been eyeballing one for months. Once I get the cash I'm getting one.
    Freedom, I have been debating beween the regular hammer and the one you have. My wife may end up carrying this gun in a purse or IWB. I think maybe your hammer is better but the only thing I don't like is not being able to cock it for accuracy. Is it easy to get used to DAO ?

you don't have to look far. s&w has what you want in 357mag. just go to their web site to see them.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    you don't have to look far. s&w has what you want in 357mag. just go to their web site to see them.
    Do you have a link to one? The only thing I see is the Model 649 and the Model 640, both of which are available in the Bodyguard Series with shrouded hammer but at 23 oz., not sure they meet the first requirement for "the lightest weight possible". I can't find any shrouded hammer in a lightweight model.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Perhaps the "lightest weight possible" could be changed to "the lightest weight that is still sane and advisable." I can fire multiple shots of some pretty oppressive loads though my SP101 snubbies, with no pain. Firing an Airlite with .38 +P a mere six times caused pain that lasted for a couple of weeks, in the base joint of my thumb.

I don't think I would want to try full-velocity .357 in the current M649, much less anything lighter, unless it had oversized rubber grips, and then, it would be about as big as the SP101, anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links