Kahr PM9 Magazine

Kahr PM9 Magazine

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 Magazine within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at the range yesterday and first off I wanted to shoot a box of my latest SD ammo for testing (Hornady TAP 147gr) Worked ...

Kahr PM9 Magazine

Was at the range yesterday and first off I wanted to shoot a box of my latest SD ammo for testing (Hornady TAP 147gr) Worked great except for one thing... In my 7rnd mags of which I have two, the slide failed to lock back after the last round. This was not an issue with my 6rnd mag. And also was not an issue with any of the mags using my 115gr practice ammo. My thought is that the mag was not quick enough (or strong enough) at locking due to the increased recoil of the 147gr rounds. Anyone agree? I have just ordered two replacement mag springs from Wolff (5% XP) and hope this cures it. I have another box of Hornady TAP to test again. I also have a box of Winchester SXT 147gr to see if it's the brand of ammo.

Hmmm... Wonder if I shouldn't just get Wolff springs for the six rounders too?

FYI... The gun is broken in at +350rnds

Any thoughts? Anybody else have this issue?

Thanks,
    Last edited by johnsonabq; February 1st, 2009 at 05:48 PM.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Seems like sound theory to me. I've even been thinking about picking up Wolf recoil springs for my PM9 too, if they have them. With the price of springs, I'd probably get two, and get one for each mag too (I have a 6 a 7 and an 8 round mag for the PM9).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

For those of you interested in new springs, here's the Wolff Gunsprings website.
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump

A friend of mine had a similar issue with his PM9 and that same mag. I might see if he has any ideas and is able to chime in here.

It may be that the follower is not making contact with the slide stop. Remove the slide and re-insert the slide stop into the frame. Insert the problem magazine and check to see if the metal tab on the follower is making contact with and pushing up on the slide stop. If not, replace the follower. If it is making good contact then replace the magazine spring. The magazine spring works in concert with the recoil spring, feeding rounds at the right speed. If the mag spring is weak, it usually results in feeding problems. If your friend's weapon is feeding properly with the 7 round mag, then it's probably the magazine follower and not the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    It may be that the follower is not making contact with the slide stop. Remove the slide and re-insert the slide stop into the frame. Insert the problem magazine and check to see if the metal tab on the follower is making contact with and pushing up on the slide stop. If not, replace the follower. If it is making good contact then replace the magazine spring. The magazine spring works in concert with the recoil spring, feeding rounds at the right speed. If the mag spring is weak, it usually results in feeding problems. If your friend's weapon is feeding properly with the 7 round mag, then it's probably the magazine follower and not the spring.
    It's my 7 round mags that were the issue, and only with the 147gr. rounds. All worked fine with 115gr. rounds. And the 6 round mag had no issues at all. I'm replacing all my mag springs with Wolff anyway. I've got more of the same 147gr round and a box of another in that weight to test with the new springs. Will also get a box of 124gr to test too. I'll practice with the 115gr but I want at least 124gr for SD. I know it's a process to find what works best for you and your gun.

I'm not such a big fan of the 7 round mags anyway. They change the feel of the gun and look funny.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Kahr recently made a replacement slide stop pin available for PM9, I suspect because of that problem. It's available for free, last time I checked (I got one).
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Problem Solved!

I got Wolff springs for the 7rnd mags and it didn't fix the problem. Then for the hell of it I concentrated on my grip. Made sure it was extra firm. Shot several more mags and Damn! I was limpwristing! Aaarrrggg!
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Kahr recently made a replacement slide stop pin available for PM9, I suspect because of that problem. It's available for free, last time I checked (I got one).
    Ya know? Just for the hell of it I've emailed Kahr on this replacement slide stop pin. We'll see what happens. Thanks.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Exclamation Update

Update... 6 hours later I've gotten an email from Ian Burr in the service dept. at Kahr. I thought it would've taken a lot longer. We're exchanging emails on the problem (if there is one )
    Jeff
    NRA Member

I've added a Hogue Handall Jr. onto the PM9. I like the way it feels now. Seems to grip better without the abrasive feel of the original grip. Plus it added a groove for the middle finger. We'll see how it helps. I'm still not absolutely convinced I'm limp wristing. I hope I am. I'd rather try to correct myself than deal with getting the gun fixed.

FYI... After the one email from Ian Burr @ Kahr I have not heard back from him.
    Jeff
    NRA Member

Today, I watched a brand new Kahr .45 go click about 10 times out of a 50 rnd box of ammo and the primers did not even have a nick. Could be the pistol.

Links