Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added

This is a discussion on Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nice gun, Doc. I do not wear bifocals, but here is the collected wisdom I have absorbed on the subject... First, lineless bifocals have less ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Nice gun, Doc.

I do not wear bifocals, but here is the collected wisdom I have absorbed on the subject...

First, lineless bifocals have less usable viewing area because of the transition zone. Putting the lines back in may help some.

Second, Mas Ayoob recommends having your bifocals reversed---reading on top, distance on the bottom. He cites a number of competitive shooters (though I have forgotten whom) who do this. The argument is that is is easy to get used to raising your head a little to focus at distance, but when shooting you end up looking generally through the top part of the glasses, so you get short-distance reading lenses to look at your front sight.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Very nice dr.....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

great Idea

nuf said

steve

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Dr. thanks for the pictures!! they're great an it does intrigue me. I'd love to have a higher capacity weaon if I could find one that fit well. I love CZ rifles so I'm thinking their pistols have to be pretty good.

I have a CZ Ruger .204 and a .22 and I think they're the best rifles you can buy of the dollar.

Thanks

I'd also recommend to you the Big Dot X/S Sights. I installed them on my Glock, along with my LaserMax and I'm a very happy camper.

I'm 63 and my sight picture has become permanently blurry, but with the Big Dots and Laser, I'm GTG.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Nice gun, Doc.

I do not wear bifocals, but here is the collected wisdom I have absorbed on the subject...

First, lineless bifocals have less usable viewing area because of the transition zone. Putting the lines back in may help some.

Second, Mas Ayoob recommends having your bifocals reversed---reading on top, distance on the bottom. He cites a number of competitive shooters (though I have forgotten whom) who do this. The argument is that is is easy to get used to raising your head a little to focus at distance, but when shooting you end up looking generally through the top part of the glasses, so you get short-distance reading lenses to look at your front sight.
    Because of my near sightedness I cannot accomodate the lines that surround the near part of the lens. Massive headaches result from using them.

I have considered having pilot type bifocals for shooting, but that really isn't an option for other uses. Then if I use the inverted for shooting and get used to them, what do I do in a defense situation? My body reacts exactly the wrong way for me to be able to see the front sights because the glasses I have on have the near vision part at the bottom.

Several good ideas and for the right person excellent choices. They just don't work for me because of my particular eye sight and employment situations.

Thanks.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Have you thought about swapping to different sights? There are plenty of companies that make bigger sights than your typical Novak 3-dots setup.

A different way

TruGlow TFO's, on my Glocks, in the sunlight I normally shoot in (gotta love FL)
    it is like someone shining three bright flashlights at you.

Old eyes... I got two of those, 73 YOA! And like others have stated, if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.

Back in 1992 I was living in Toronto, laser surgery (experimental) was an option I took, very painful three days with the then method, now not.

That placed me at 56, trifocals was the other option! Not!

I was now at 20/20 needed reading glasses to read, front sight then became a little blurred, I lived with it, now 17 years later, with the extra aging! The front sight is quite clear, about 80% is still there in real terms. Good enough to drive, and pass the exam.

My Wife had the now painless solution some ten years ago (to wake her up and expect a closer guess on the time frame ain't going to work!) like magic this system. My first purchase after my surgery, the new yuppie wrap around shooting glasses, Oakley's, was I ever cool! Plus safer.

Reference the You can go blind crowd! my Son and Daughter, my Step Son, three friends, my Wife and I, total success. Just a different approach.

Enjoy your 75BD as I do mine. It's probably my favorite shooter in the safe. The CT laser should be a welcome addition as the stock sights are very small.

BTW, if you shine a flashlight on the CZ sights for a couple of seconds they will glow in the dark for a short period of time.

VIP Member

Thumbs up

OK, here goes. I went to the range today and fired what I now believe to be the finest handgun I have ever handled. The CZ 75BD is a dream. I started with some WWB to zero the laser. Shooting from a rest it took 4 shots. Should have taken 3, but I turned the windage screw the wrong way the first time. I took the center of the bullseye out with the 4th shot. 5 and 6 were fired off hand and were touching the 4th at about 10 and 11 o'clock.

I shot about 100 rounds as I was low on 9mm. I used the WWB FMJ 115 gr., Federal EFMJ 124 gr., Federal Hydra-Shok JHP 147 gr., CCI Blazer JHP 115 gr., Remington UMC JHP 115 gr., and Speer Lawman Gold Dot JHP 124 gr. and 147 gr. The CZ digested everything without regard to the order it was loaded. Sometimes there were 10 or 12 of the same round in a mag. At other times there were 3 different weights, three different projectile types and 5 different brands in a group of 5 rounds. No bobbles, no stumbles, no problems. I fired with and without the laser turned on and found that I shoot the CZ better than any pistol I have ever shot. I have always shot my 10mm S&W better than any other pistol, but the CZ easily improved on my best shooting.

The big surprise was how well I could shoot with the small CZ sights. The dots do flouresce after exposure to light and seem to glow a little even in bright light. When the three dots line up the bullet will hit right where the front sight is aiming. I got comfortable enough shooting the CZ that I was able to use any part of my glasses and get consistent good shoots. Even if they sights were fuzzy they were lining up well enough for me to use them with very good results. I think the fact that the dots are so small made lining up even three fuzzy sights an easy thing to do.

I need more ammo so that I can go back and improve my shooting with the Crimson Trace laser. It requires getting used to the fact that you don't have to line up the sights and will require some more work on holding the laser steady. Even without having the laser still getting good shots is easy. The laser would waver on the targer for me, but I concentrated on having the waver move in a small circle and usually could hit just about where the center of that small circle was. I have got to get back to the range and shoot this pistol some more.

I am extremely happy with both the CZ 75BD pistol and the Crimson Trace laser grips. This is a great combination for me. With this gun and some practice I may be able to keep up with my wife for a mag or two. Both products highly recommended. Two thumbs up!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

George,

I have a very similar problem. I can shoot my single action Blackhawk all day and be quite accurate, but for some reason, I have a very difficult time focusing on the front sight for semi auto shooting.

Like you I have bi-focals, and have resolved the issue in 2 ways. I point shoot for fast defensive shooting and I have now put a Crimson Trace grip on my CZ P-01 (very like a CZ 75 compact). The CT grip is a great practice tool also forcing me to make my shots as steady as possible. I can now put a whole clip in a 3" circle offhand at 21', just point shooting and smoothly squeezing that trigger.

The point shooting works particularly well for me in that I can focus on the target rather than the frontsight which is more difficult for my glasses situation. I do give up accuracy, but the CT grip helps with that.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you will undoubtedly have the support of Paul.

Congrats on finding a setup that works for you.

As we age our eyes seem to do some weird things that you don't really notice unless you shoot. I've worn glasses for years to corect long distance problems. Then when I couldn't read I went to progressive lenses. I shot well with those as I could move my head around to find the sweet spot. When I changed jobs my new insurance wouldn't pay for those so I went to lined bifocals. That really messed things up! Now I can't see the sights with either part of the lense. So now I actually see the sights better without the glasses. Of course the target out beyond 7 yards is pretty much a blur. O.K. for self defense but definately not for precise target shooting.

Your experience and advise of others has me thinking XS sights and a laser as well. Thanks.
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
    I will be 62 in a few days. I went to my EYE GUY with my handguns - he developed a percription so I could see the sights and the target out to about 20 yards. I also swithed to TruGlo TFO's (big improvement) plus crimson trace on the J-frames.
    Not as good as I once was but I am still kicking some young guys butts in IDPA and USPSA (not many but some)
    Having a special set of shooting glasses made for range/competition works quite well. I did this a couple years ago and am very happy with the results when competing or fun target shooting. However, I would caution anyone who has to wear glasses every day that your defensive practice should take place with that same prescription. If you ever find yourself in a defensive situation, it is those glasses that will be on your face and those glasses that you will have to shoot with. If all of your training has taken place with a special set of glasses, you will find yourself ill-prepared for the shooting situation at hand.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I am 62 and have worn some sort of eyeglasses since I was a teen, Now I am in progressive lens.

I have XS 24/7 Big Dots on my carry G30 and I can hit just fine with them out to 30 yards or so.

My pocket carry is a S&W 442 with CT Laser Grips, I can shoot the 442 sights out to about 15 yards but it gets prety blurry after that.

I also shoot IDPA with a 1911 or a S&W revolver and was having problems hitting those head shots. I bought a set of the ESS ICE shooting glasses and an optical insert for them. My eye doctor (A shooter and hunter) put my dominate eye lens so the sights are crisp and the target slightly blurred, the whole lens is that prescription so no matter my head position the sight picture stays clear. The other eye has my regular Progressive prescription and this set up works very well for me and I do shoot with both eyes open.

That is just another option. I did shoot for a while with a 1.25 stick on bifocal on my regular eyeglasses positioned to where I looked through it when sighting. This actually worked very well but I decided to get something more permanent so I went to the Eye Doc.

That is great news George! I am very happy that you like your new gun so much and that it works so well for you!

Do you mind telling us what the whole package cost?
    Don't you wish you had transitioned to the CZ75BD years ago? I always think something like that after I get a new gun that works well for me. I wonder why I didn't do this years ago.....go shoot that CZ some more and tell us more about it!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links