Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added

This is a discussion on Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was back at the range during the late afternoon today and put another 100 rounds through the CZ. What I have discovered is that, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added

VIP Member
    I was back at the range during the late afternoon today and put another 100 rounds through the CZ. What I have discovered is that, as strange as it sounds, the small CZ sights are perfect for me when in normal light. I went late afternoon to test how the sights and the CT laser worked under different lighting conditions. Before dusk I actually was shooting better with the CZ sights than with the laser. Not a lot better, but a bit better. Part of this I am sure is not being used to the laser and also not having practiced enough with it.

After the sun dropped below the trees and it started to be what's called dusk the laser made a big difference in my shooting. I wasn't too bad with the sights, but my groupings spread a good bit. With the laser I shot just about the same as I did when the sun was up. If I had stayed another half hour I'm sure that I would have seen an even bigger difference because I would not have been able to see the target without the laser.

I have tried to figure out why the CZ sights work for me and I think it is the fact that the three dots are fairly small and that they have the green glow to them. Even when they are fuzzy they are small enough that the fuzziness does not really affect the alignment of the dots. The dots being small also helps me to see when they are aligned. What ever the reason, I like the CZ sights.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Tritium nites with white outlines are even better for CZs, laser or not.

At 46..they have really improved my shooting.

I didn't mind having nites and a laser, either.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkston_cz View Post
    Tritium nites with white outlines are even better for CZs, laser or not.

At 46..they have really improved my shooting.

I didn't mind having nites and a laser, either.
    I have trouble focusing on night sights with the white outline. That is just another problem that my vision causes. I was really surprised at how well the standard CZ sights functioned for me. I think that I will have to keep them because they do work for me. Thanks for the info.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    What a Joker, I m losing my ability to see so I am going to buy some CT grips. Oh wait they don t make them for my gun, Well I guess I will buy the Gun to. Did she buy all that ? Just kidding hope you enjoy. BTW I am envious of the CT Grips.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    What a Joker, I m losing my ability to see so I am going to buy some CT grips. Oh wait they don t make them for my gun, Well I guess I will buy the Gun to. Did she buy all that ? Just kidding hope you enjoy. BTW I am envious of the CT Grips.
    Don't worry. She understood. Especially after I explained that I was selling the Beretta CX4 carbine to finance it. I actually sold 4 guns to finance 2. Sold a Norinco 1911, Maverick 88 shotgun, a Kel-Tec P32, and the Beretta. Bought the Steyr M357 and the CZ with CTs and had some money left over. 1050 rounds of 9mm will be delivered tomorrow by UPS. Now I'm broke. Oh, and I bought the pearl necklace that I told dukalmighty about in this thread. http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...statement.html

I could sell the Beretta because I got her an AR with 6 position stock back before Christmas. I had another home defense shotgun I like better. I had two Norinco 1911s. And the Kel-Tec was redundant since she and I both have Kahr CW9s.

In reality she doesn't complain too much as long as what I spend doesn't affect the general budget. Most of my gun money comes from extra work like computer repair and ministry things like weddings, funerals, and concerts. We split those and she buys things for the house and I buy things for the range. She is currently saving hers to buy a queen size bed for the guest room. I'm just saving mine to buy.
    George

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Glad to hear things are working out so well.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    I turn 58 next month and suffer the same problems, aging eyes, right handed, left eye dominant. I'm looking to buy the crimson trace for my Kimber, but rather than a red laser, I'd like a green one. Problem is that I can't find any Green Laser's that are mounted in the grip, they all seem to come installed in the barrel mounts.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I am told that is takes a crystal to turn the red into green. Therefore they are unable to reduce the size down small enough for the grip or for a Laser Max system. You can only mount them on a rail under the gun, well for now anyway.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Nice, I have CT's on ALL my carry guns( LCP, 642, SP101 & Glock 27 )as my eyes ain't what they used to be either. I've also got a Glock laser/light on my home gun, a G 23. ENJOY your new gun & set up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links