Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added

This is a discussion on Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I turned 61 in January and that means I have been wearing glasses for over 50 years and bi-focals for at least 15 years. So ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Eyes Require New Gun - Range Report Added

VIP Member

I turned 61 in January and that means I have been wearing glasses for over 50 years and bi-focals for at least 15 years. So I finally admitted to myself what I had known for a while - I can't see well enough through my glasses to shoot as well as I want to. I wear lineless bi-focals and to focus on the front sight I have to sight right through the section of my lens where the transition from distance vision to close takes place. I read the instrument panel in the car the same way. One difference is that being right handed and left eye dominant means that I am only using one eye to see the front sight. All it takes is a little slip of the glasses or any minor head movement to take the front sight out of focus. That is a pain and in the right situation a major problem. Having admitted the need for a better way to shoot I had to figure out what to do.

I have seen Todd Jarrett's commercials for Crimson Trace dozens of times or rather I had glimpsed and ignored his commercials dozens of times. Now that I was looking for a sighting system I actually stopped and paid attention. I did some research and decided that I would get a set of Crimson Trace laser grips.

Fine, now I needed to determine which pistol I would get them for. After looking at the choices I discovered that only one of the guns I have had grips made for them. And I wasn't going to put them on my 1911. So back to the drawing board. My current EDC is a Tanfoglio (EAA) Witness in 9mm. The Witness is a clone of the CZ 75, so I checked to see it the grips that fit the CZ would fit the Witness. No, they don't. So I decided since I was getting a new sighting system I might as well get a new pistol to go with it. Since I like the Witness I decided to look at the CZ 75B. After handling the 75B and the 75BD I decided on the BD with the decocker. I got used to using one with the Sig P239. So yesterday I picked up my new pistol the CZ 75BD and my Crimson Trace laser grips. I put the grips on last night, but won't get to fire the pistol until Tuesday afternoon (provided the weather cooperates). I'll get to try the new Steyr M357 at the same time.

But rather than make everyone wait until I can give a range report I'll post some photos now. I'll post the double CZ / CT review and range report Tuesday night if all goes well.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Good as excuse as any to get a new gun enjoy your new gun and laser sights.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Looks like a great combo!
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Very nice...is that a single stack? I'm wondering how much thicker that is through the grip compared to a 1911? I have small hands so pretty much have to stick to single stack..

I can sympathize about the eyes! I'm only 48 but wear progressive lenses. I can see great real close without them but then my target is a big blur so I too am for the first time considering a laser.

You ought to see what a Eotech or Red dot scope looks like with my eyes w/out corrective len's!!! It's like an exploding shower of red streaks!

Getting old isn't always too much fun!

I'll be real curious to see how you like the laser after you've got it sighted in and have been able to practice with it a little.

I'm seriously considering getting a set for a 642.

SWEET love the CZ line

dr cmg,
    When you have a chance to try them please give us a report.
    I have worn trifocals for years, and while I cannot shoot at 1 inch bulls eyes I can do well enough for defense shooting out to at least 25 yards.

I have just accepted the fact that at 76 I cannot shoot like I once could or the younger generation, but all I really need to do is be able to hit COM at realistic ranges, and even the "credit card" out to 7 yards.

I have never tried the crimson trace.

Regards,
    Jerry

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    I have never tried the crimson trace.
    Me neither. I've thought about it before, but I just can't give up my Hogue rubber grips. Now if only Hogue teamed up with Crimson Trace and came out with a line of grips, I'd be all over those.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I'm about to do the same but with a Glock.

your biggest problem is?

Your transition bifocals. You do not have enough area in width to focus on in a combat situation. Regular bifocals would do better I think.

Plus you are old like me

steve

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stolivar View Post
    Your transition bifocals. You do not have enough area in width to focus on in a combat situation. Regular bifocals would do better I think.

Plus you are old like me

steve
    Steve, the transition area works great for me in most cases and the bottom of the lens is great for the close focus situations because it covers the whole width of the lens. Having been extremely near sighted from childhood I have always had a problem with scratches, spots, and specks on my lenses. This is the reason I originally went with the lineless bifocals. I knew the regular version would drive me quickly insane. I am not so bad now, but for 40 years of more I washed my glasses two or three times a day to get the lenses free of any particles. My sight was only good close up and anything on the lens I saw very well and it just distracted me to no end. Now after over 15 years with the lineless I don't see changing especially since the middle area is so good for things like the speedometer and other things out at arms length to about 5 feet.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    Very nice...is that a single stack? I'm wondering how much thicker that is through the grip compared to a 1911? I have small hands so pretty much have to stick to single stack..
    The CZ is a double stack that carries 16+1. I know what you mean about single stack vs. double stack. Until I got my Witness I couldn't hit anything with double stack pistols. The Witness proved to me that double stack did not necessarily mean real thick. The CZ is actually a little thinner than the Witness. Below are some photos of the CZ beside some single stack pistols. The first two are with my Norinco 1911. Admittedly the grips on the 1911 are a little thicker than standard grips, but not much. The second two are the CZ along side a Sig P6 (225). There is not a lot of difference in the thickness there either. The last two are the CZ between a S&W 439 (9mm) and a S&W 1066 (10mm) with Hogue grips. I probably shoot the 1066 better than any pistol I have and am very comfortable with it. It appears to be a bit wider than the CZ.

As you can see I'm not the world's greatest photographer, but I think you can see that the CZ if thicker is not by much. Just to make sure that we were comparing apples and apples I did one more thing. I got out my wife's cloth tape measure and measured the grip all the way around just below the trigger guard. I measured the 1911 and the CZ is as nearly the same location as I could and even though I measured the CZ over the laser activation switch I basically got 5.5" around for both pistols. The .45 ACP round is both longer and thicker than the 9mm round, so it is possible for the grips on a 9mm double stack (misnomer it is really a staggered stack) to be just about the same size as those of a .45 ACP single stack.

I would suggest that you handle a CZ 75 before dismissing it because it is a double stack. It really is pretty thin.

I'll be posting my experience with both the CZ and the grips as soon as I get to do some real range work with it. Here is a podcast that has an interesting discussion about the CT laser and along with it several good clips about training with and sighting the laser. The CT segment is at the bottom of the page and is dated Jan. 4.ProArms 2009 January
    George

Good choices! I believe you'll like the combination!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Doc, just a strong suggestion- put a set of XS Big Dots on there too. Trust me, sans eyewear you'll appreciate the combo.

I will be 62 in a few days. I went to my EYE GUY with my handguns - he developed a percription so I could see the sights and the target out to about 20 yards. I also swithed to TruGlo TFO's (big improvement) plus crimson trace on the J-frames.
    Not as good as I once was but I am still kicking some young guys butts in IDPA and USPSA (not many but some)
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Doc, just a strong suggestion- put a set of XS Big Dots on there too. Trust me, sans eyewear you'll appreciate the combo.
    Spot on advice mate.

Getting old isn't for sissies, as I'm discovering. I'm not there yet, but I see what it's doing to some friends and family, and it scares the crap out of me. Makes me re-think my youth and how I treated myself.

Biker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links