New Sp101

This is a discussion on New Sp101 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my Kahr PM9 stolen out of my Jeep so i needed a new pocket piece, which has become my favorite form of carrying. ...

Thread: New Sp101

New Sp101

I had my Kahr PM9 stolen out of my Jeep so i needed a new pocket piece, which has become my favorite form of carrying. I was going to replace the Kahr with another PM9 but i have always like the idea of a small snubby revolver. Smiths aren't what they used to be, all of the ones i played with had crap lockup, Looked at an older Colt Det. Special which had great lockup but weighed a ton. Found a dealer locally that had a few Sp101's in stock and went to take a look. Nice solid snubby, points so natural it should be considered cheating . I like the fact that it can handle the full house magnum loads. Its currently residing in a uncle mikes size 4( Kahr's old home) while i decide what holster will work best. Any suggestions on a good pocket holsterand what ammo i should be using, currently i have Speer 135gr SB 357 in there.

كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice Ruger! Try a Mika pocket holster, it's one of the best.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

nice gun. hard to beat.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    GREAT GUN! I have one and love it but can't imagine for the life of me how you'll be able to pocket carry that. They're heavy which makes them great shooters, even with stout .357 loads but pocket carry

I would have gotten another PM9 for pocket and then gotten this one for IWB carry.

Anyway, enjoy it and consider getting the wolf replacement spring kit. It's cheap and very easy to replace the main spring so the trigger pull is a lot lighter but still totally reliable. You'll be pleasantly surprised how much better it makes the trigger pull (instantly).

Mine was very sharp. Don't be afraid to take some 600 grit to some of the sharp edges. My trigger had sharp edges to the point it cut me after a 100 rounds or so of .38's.

+1 on the Mika good holster & as for ammo 125grn jhp Federal

Its really not that hard, it disappears in the pockets of my jeans. I don't notice the extra weight compared to the Kahr. I looked at it like this, a little bigger gun with a more potent round and a more reliable action that will have lint, etc in it all the time. The trigger really isn't that bad, its smooth just a little heavy, i will look into springs and i need to do something with the front sight, its impossible to pick up in low light. I may look into a smaller grip but the stock rubber one actually feels good and does a good job with recoil.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member
    That'll last you, your kids, your grand kids and their kids a lifetime!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I actually carry carry 100 gr. 38 spcl. Corbon Pow'r Ball in my .357.

I just skip the pocket holster if I am going to throw it in my pocket. No way it is going to have an AD with the stock trigger. I would replace the front sight with something aftermarket. Big fan of XS.

Quote Originally Posted by Danimal View Post
    I actually carry carry 100 gr. 38 spcl. Corbon Pow'r Ball in my .357.

I just skip the pocket holster if I am going to throw it in my pocket. No way it is going to have an AD with the stock trigger. I would replace the front sight with something aftermarket. Big fan of XS.

If I might ask, where did you purchase the front sight? I couldn't find a listing for the SP101 sight anywhere. Approx cost?

I bought it directly from XS. I am pretty sure it is on their website. If not just call them and they will send you the right one. Actually, now that I think about it, I am pretty sure I had to call them anyways and the only sights they let you order on their webpage are for rifles and bottom feeders.

I think I paid $65 bucks delivered. I shelled out an extra $30 to have my gunsmith install it for me. You have to push out the old one, drill a hole in the new site and pin the new one in. If you dont have experience doing this, I would recommend paying the extra money. Otherwise you can really bugger up either the gun, or the sight.

If you are in KC I would take it to Mike Allee in Mission. Do a google search with that name and it is the first hit.

Links