What caliber for Springfield XD Subcompact?

This is a discussion on What caliber for Springfield XD Subcompact? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking to buy a Springfield XD subcompact for concealed carry. It's available in 9mm and .40. What do you all recommend. I like the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What caliber for Springfield XD Subcompact?

Question What caliber for Springfield XD Subcompact?

I'm looking to buy a Springfield XD subcompact for concealed carry. It's available in 9mm and .40. What do you all recommend. I like the thought of .40 for stopping power, but I like the cost of 9mm ammo and the less recoil for a subcompact gun.

I've heard that 9mm ammo can have some feeding issues. Is this true with the XD in 9mm? Can +P+ ammo be used in the gun?

Please give me your opinion on 9mm or .40 for a carry gun, and why? Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I'd buy the 9mm in a subcompact gun. It just more "shootable" in every way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I own the 40, but you won't go wrong with the 9mm. The important factor is how well you can shoot either one. Go get one and be safe.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

I have an XD-M .40 and it's got some kick. I was just assuming that the 3" subcompact would have even more recoil yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post

I've heard that 9mm ammo can have some feeding issues. Is this true with the XD in 9mm? Can +P+ ammo be used in the gun?

Please give me your opinion on 9mm or .40 for a carry gun, and why? Thanks!
    I went for the 9 for cost, shot recovery, and capacity. I've never heard that 9mm guns can have feeding issues any more than any other caliber. The XD9 has a rep for being able to eat whatever it's fed.

I can't recall anything on +P+, wither way. I know that +P is OK, but I don't think it necessary. +P shortens the life of any gun compared to standard pressures, so I would be using it constantly at the range.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I use an XD SC in 9mm. I trust it as much as a .40.
    NBatesDesign.com - Graphic and Web Design

PROJECT U23 - Firearms Training and Discussion

Cobrar97,

I have the XDSC in 9mm as well as a G26.
    I personally don't think you can possibly go wrong with the XDSC9.

My everyday carry is the G17 ( I just like full size) but I still can't resist buying the new guns that peak my interest for one reason or another and this one as well as that G26 did. If I were to offer any advise, it would be to get the XD in the "M" series, if it is out yet. The only reason I say that is because I heard that they did a bit of work on the trigger reset. If they could shorten that up it would be a good thing. Just a personal observation on my end.

Ya know, I still carry every single day a first gen. glock so I think it is basically all in what you get used to.
    Rick

RickP...yea I have an XD-M now...and it's nice...I just want a subcompact for daily carry. I liked the XD sub because it basically operates just like my XD-M that I'm already familiar with.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Like Cupcake I went with the 9 also, same reasons. I have both the XD9sc and XD9 service and both will eat anything I have put into them. I carry Corbon DPX and shoot reg ball ammo of many different bands for practice.

You know, when I first got the XDSC9, I carried it on and off for a couple of months to see how well it would conceal and to be honest I ended up carrying it with the extended mag it it and was able to conceal it with no problem!
    Also you asked about malfs.?? I probably have between 1500 & 1800rds. thru this gun, it has been pulled down one time and cleaned at about 500 rds. and has never failed to feed or fire anything that I have stuck down its throat.

VIP Member
    I'm guessing that you'll like shooting the 9mm better and like you said it's less expensive. The more you shoot, the better shooter you'll be!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I personally carry an XD.40c and love it. The 9 is a good piece too; you won't be disappointed either way IMAO. I chose the .40 because it makes bigger holes in BGs; bigger holes and more tissue damage make them stop being BG's faster. :)

It is more expensive to shoot but I don't put a ton of rounds through it--maybe 100 a month. I know that some guys like to shoot a lot but once you're comfortable with the gun range time is just to keep you sharp. So the cost difference in ammo probably won't be a huge difference.

For an EDC I always prefer to have something that will do the job effectively; naturally depending on what round you are carrying either one will do the job just fine. I personally prefer the .40 but it looks like I am in the minority on this thread!

The XD is rated to handle +P; I wouldn't put a lot of +P through any firearm. I carry Magsafe 84 grain defenders (Your Page Title) because of their wound pattern, but feed mine whatever the cheapest ball ammo I can find is available at the range.

The subcompact will have a good deal of barrel flip in either caliber. Remember that concealment comes not from barrel length but from grip length, and if you put the extended magazine in it you have the same concealability as the 4" model.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I don't intend to use the extended mag...I want it as concealable as it can be. I assumed the 3" barrel w/ regular mag would be as good as it can be.

Additionally, my wife will practice with it also, and I know my XD-M can have some recoil...I'd assume a .40 on the XDsc would be quite worse, where the 9mm will keep that recoil down. Agreed?

9mm. i have one. great weapon. great cc.

My next problem is that I cannot find the 9mm to buy ANYWHERE...and I mean ANYWHERE. Budgunshop.com has them for $430, but they are all out. Other places that generally have them for $450 range are all out also. I just can't get one of the things.

Does anybody know of any places that have them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links