Is This Every Gun I'll Ever "Need"? - Page 2

Is This Every Gun I'll Ever "Need"?

This is a discussion on Is This Every Gun I'll Ever "Need"? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Nope, If you're serious you NEED one of these! Best up close Hog Leg ever made....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is This Every Gun I'll Ever "Need"?

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Nope, If you're serious you NEED one of these!

Best up close Hog Leg ever made.

Last edited by Sportsterguy; February 2nd, 2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: sp
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

jfl
    It is not what you need, it is what you want.

My most prized gun is a Luger P-08 (# matching) that my wife surprised me for my 50th B'day. I don't shoot it very often.
    It doesn't really have a purpose in my "collection" (arsenal ???) not a good SD gun, not very accurate, a PITA to clean, but I really enjoy having it.
    Did I need it, hell no !
    Did I want it, for sure ! For the last 35 years !!!
    It was expensive at the time and I had always pushed it to "better times".
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Need? Maybe, want? I doubt it.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

I don't know that there is the "ultimate .22 pistol", but I like the 22/45 Ruger Mark II and as far as .22 rifles goes, the Ruger 10/22. There are a number of accessories for the 10/22 that will enhance it's usefulness.
    There is a lot of good advice that has been given out. One thing to remember is to keep it simple. Stick to common calibers .22, .223, 308, 30-06, 9mm, 38, 45 and so forth. Spare parts for all weapons and/or spare weapons. Stock up on ammo and get reloading equipment as well as reloading dies for all the calibers that you have. Then and this is probably the most important, don't talk about it. Nobody but your closest family/friends that you can trust.

Kahr PM9 - My Carry
    S&W 642 - Wife's Carry
    Springfield XD .40 Service w/ TLR-2 - Home Defense
    Mossberg 500 Persuader 12ga. - Home Defense
    S&W M&P15X (AR-15) - SHTF

Lots of ammo.

I feel like my minimum needs are met, for now anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunney View Post
    I don't know that there is the "ultimate .22 pistol", but I like the 22/45 Ruger Mark II and as far as .22 rifles goes, the Ruger 10/22. There are a number of accessories for the 10/22 that will enhance it's usefulness.
    I have a Ruger MKII and the 10/22, both of which are great guns IMHO.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I think a lever action .357 may be almost a need. I think it's rounds out an arsnel but giving you that versatile HD or hunting weapon that's the least likely to be banned and works with the same ammo for a .357 revolver which I do think is almost a mandatory item for any collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I think a lever action .357 may be almost a need. I think it's rounds out an arsnel but giving you that versatile HD or hunting weapon that's the least likely to be banned and works with the same ammo for a .357 revolver which I do think is almost a mandatory item for any collection.
    I'm with you on that, It's a great match for my S&W wheel gun. You can use the same loads and get better pressure and velocity due to barrel length. I could reload for both.
    Thanks for another must have Gideon, this will put a smile on the wife's face. Actually I have thought of it before but you will make a good scape goat.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

My collection thus far...Glock 23, Sig P228, Remington Model 48, 12 Ga. Colt AR-15a3, and a Winchester Model 70 In .270 with a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40. There are still plenty I need to round out my collection.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

You siad "need," so:

the Kobra Carry is pretty and very slick, but high-maintenance. Unless you can smith it yourself, I'd recommend trading for a pair of Glocks or XDs.

the "ultimate .22," in terms of durability, accuracy and overall longevity, would be the Ruger MkII. Browning's Buckmark is nice too...

Have spare parts and the ability to install them. The easiest "registration" would be banning sale of parts to non-certified armorers/FFLs. IOW, need it repaired? Have to log it in with the smith (and the ATFE).

I have been looking for a 357 lever gun and they seem to be as scarce as hens teeth around here. I have a Winchester 94 in 44 Magnum to go with my 44 revolvers, but just can't seem to lay my hands on a 357.

You only "need" the one in your hand. Make the one you carry the best option and the most "do it all" you can! I think that a home deffense shotgun is a fine idea but you had better be profficient at using it or use buckshot and take your chances at a ricochet (I have no idea how to spell that).

I am not of the opinion of "needing" a long range deffense gun, the movies tell us otherwise. If somebody (government included) is that hell bent on killing you then I feel I would be endangering my family by continuing the fight (assuming that I am at home due to not carrying a rifle with me).

That being said, I do enjoy shooting an AR and would like to be more profficient with it (but this is just for sport in my opinion).
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Is This Every Gun I'll Ever "Need"?
    - Kahr PM40
    - Ruger SP101
    - Ed Brown Kobra Carry
    Discuss...
    Depends on your needs. What do you need a firearm to achieve?

Longer-distance varminting? Ensconced defense of a home? Clearing a building? Concealed carry? Defense against large animals? Where do the trade-offs come into play, given how you would use the firearms?

For me, a high-capacity 9mm pistol covers the bulk of the needs, with a lower-capacity .380 or 9mm to fill the concealment gaps; a mid-capacity shotgun helps in defending the property along with the pistol; and a lever-action rifle suits for the mid-distance situations out in the field. One cannot easily fill the role of another, in this short list of mine. IMO, depending on your needs, the short list of yours has some gaps.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"Need" - maybe, but I sure hope not.... right now I'm pretty sure I NEED either a SIG P229 or a Springfield XDm... I'm just not sure which one right now... plus there is my current collection, which I know I NEED!!!
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

VIP Member
    Only YOU know the answer to that!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links