CombatMaster Alteration

CombatMaster Alteration

This is a discussion on CombatMaster Alteration within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have been enjoying the heck out of my new D-USA CombatMaster. The only difficulty I've had is that the heel of the frame is MIGHTY ...

Thread: CombatMaster Alteration

CombatMaster Alteration

Have been enjoying the heck out of my new D-USA CombatMaster. The only difficulty I've had is that the heel of the frame is MIGHTY sharp, and it has worn a nice hole in the dead center of my palm. Was thinking about having it bobtailed, until I got a suggestion from a fellow on Yahoo's Detonics Collectors board that I just try installing an arched mainspring housing. After a bit of judicious grinding, I got a Brown housing to fit, and BOY has it helped. Looks stock too. Here are photos of a CombatMaster with the stock flat housing and mine with the arched housing installed. Turned out to be a great, and comparatively extremely inexpensive, fix!

Best,
    Jon
    Attached Images
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Oops. Meant to put this in "Concealed Carry Guns". Guess I hit the wrong link button. Sorry!

Best,
    Jon

XD9
    That looks really good. I used to have a Combat Master and it wasn't the funnest gun to shoot. It HURT!

Anyway, have fun with it.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

I love the darned thing, X9. That was my only complaint, and now it's one of the best shooting pistols I own. I'm sort of funny, in that I tend to do a better job of things out to about 20 yards with shorter 1911s than longer ones. I really enjoy shooting my CombatMaster and LTW Commander even more than my full-sized Kimbers. The little CombatMaster is just slick as a cat!

Best,
    Jon

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    the wife and i love hers, but its a 2nd gen original detonics she likes the flat housing fine tho

VIP Member
    BigJon,

I did the move for you. Nice looking housing.

-Scott-

Thanks, Scott. My apologies (hitting the wrong key is what we older guys often refer to as a "finger fart".)

Best,
    Jon

Assistant Administrator
    Big improvement Jon and one I would do myself with that small of a gun and straight housing.

I know MSH profile is a very individual thing of course but I have never felt a wish to have other than arched. Probably my hand size but it feels so much better.

Certainly too as in your case - keeps a lot of abrasion stress off the contact area between frame heel and palm.

Glad you are still liking it so much.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yep, it's a peach to be sure. Now, it's off to C&S for a SFS system install and a melt to turn it into the perfect pocket gun (for me!)

Somebody STOP me!

Best,
    Jon

Assistant Administrator
    Only way I can stop you Jon - is to be totally magnanimous and take the lil' devil off your hands
    Chris - P95

Your avatar suggests that you may already have the drop on me!

Assistant Administrator
    ''Keep them hands where I can see 'em Big Jon - and pass me that piece" (just for sake keeping doncha know!)
    Chris - P95

Looks like it would be a lot better to shoot with the Arched housing

It really is, Bud. I have average-sized hands, and having shot 1911s for a long, long time, I can tell you that at least for me the arched housing is a definite improvement. From what I can tell, the shorter frame causes a lot more pressure to be exerted on the palm than does a full-sized frame. Just something about the way my fist works. Grab a full-sized and a CombatMaster-framed gun, and see if you don't notice what I did. Didn't notice it as much difference between standard and officers, but with the CM, the difference is quite noticeable, even before you start sending rounds. For some reason, the little frame really bites into the palm with the pinkie tucked under the gun.

If you do this mod, you will have to do a little bit of grinding on the replacement housing. The angle on the top edge of the stock housing is more pronounced than the one that came on the full-sized unit I used for a replacement. You've just gotta get the angles the same and then keep on whittlin' it down little by little until it goes. Also, the "hooks on the front side of the housing need to be adjusted a bit, which tends to grind into the retaining pin, so when you reinstall it, make sure that the ground part of the pin is in line with the ground part of of the housing.

Best,
    Jon

Best,
    Jon

Sponsored Links