Guess what followed me home?

This is a discussion on Guess what followed me home? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, no pics yet - I'll try to get those up after I clean it tomorrow. Well, after talking with Gary Brommeland, reading Stephen ...

Thread: Guess what followed me home?

Talking Guess what followed me home?

First off, no pics yet - I'll try to get those up after I clean it tomorrow.
    Well, after talking with Gary Brommeland, reading Stephen Camp's review and all the other positive reports online I drove up to the gun shop to see what they had.

I took my S&W 66-5 to use as a trade in. There were plenty of 1911s to choose from so I started looking at the used ones (had to force myself to pass on the SA SS GI Mil-Spec ... sure was pretty though!). Debated a used Para Ord P13-45 ($469) but decided I'd stay with the single stacks for concealability and familiarity. Had the guy pull out the used park'ed SA Mil-spec I mentioned in the other thread ($400). The aftermarket extended slide release will have to go and possibly the thumb safety too, I'll go std. config, Wilson's Bulletproof.

The gun came with two mags (crap of course) but no original box (they gave me a comparable aftermarket one. All function and safety checks passed and field stripping showed no excessive wear or dremel work - decided I'd trade for it. They offered me $350 for my M66 - I'd only hoped to get $300 so I was happy. Did the 4473 and went to the register - grand total after tax ....... $64.83!

Went down to the range (they included that in the cost): I'd brought 150 rounds of 230gr. WWB and 15 rounds of Fed. Hydrashock Def. loads (185gr.?). Everything started well enough but as the gun started getting dirty I started having ftf problems with the WWB and mags hanging BADLY! Had to pry them out with my fingernails. No problem at all with the Hydras. Ejection was perfect so I don't think it's anything terrible and I strongly suspect the cheapo slide release is the culprit as one mag would fail to lock the slide back after the last shot and the next mag would lock the slide after every shot (hit the slide release and it went firmly into battery each time) - both mags were CMC Shooting Stars that have worked in two other 1911s.

Next range trip I'll spring for some quality ammo and make sure the slide release has been changed out. Not terribly upset at this early stage as there's some simple fixes to try first and I suspect they'll take care of the problems.

I also plan on relegating my 8 round CMC Shooting Stars to "range use only" as they lack slam pads and are due for new springs (that's my excuse anyway ). These will be replaced with either 8 round CMC Powermags or Wilson 47Ds with slam pads for carry, depending on prices. Brownell's here I come!

The only truly upsetting part of today is that the web of my hand looks like hamburger. As much as I like the look of the Mil-Spec look I'm going to have to least bob and sand the hammer and bottom edge of the safety (like Stephen Camp did on his) - if not install a Commander hammer and beavertail. Hammer bite sucks!

Even with the problems I had today my overall impession is still pretty favorable (pending the results of replacement parts). I spoke with the clerk and he agreed with my plans for upgrades. He said "We make our living on repeat business, so we'll do whatever it takes to make it right." Sounds like a few holster makers around here, doesn't it?

Jack

2. Remove Ads

Sorry i had to post it ..

Congrats on your new purchase i would replace the slide stop if it is a crappy looking one and get some 47D's there what i use when i caryy my 1911

Sounds like you did all right. Silly aftermarket slide stops.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar
    Did you use some oil like breakfree at range? I have made it a habit of using it after every 50 rounds while at range.

I also have started using a pair of Hatch shooting gloves and a weight lifters wrist support. It sure helps this shooters hand and wrist.

Glad you found a good 1911 I don't think they can be beat I am sure you will get it working after the changes.

My choice for Mags are the Wilson Combat or Metalforms the Ed Brown Mags are Mfg. by Metalform.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - sorta good result Jack!

I hope the outlined fixes will do what is wanted - sounds like they should, so you finish up with an A1 shooter - and less hand hamburger!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Thanks all. I keep a small cleaning kit in my range bag, "kit 'n kaboodle" I think it's called. I've added a 1/4 oz. bottle of Militec-1 to it. When I field stripped it at the counter the rails were bone dry, if anything I may have over-lubed it. Also tried using a solvent dampened patch on the feedramp/barrel throat, that helped some but not for long.

I'll be hitting Brownell's tomorrow for the Wilson parts.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    Thanks all. I keep a small cleaning kit in my range bag, "kit 'n kaboodle" I think it's called. I've added a 1/4 oz. bottle of Militec-1 to it. When I field stripped it at the counter the rails were bone dry, if anything I may have over-lubed it. Also tried using a solvent dampened patch on the feedramp/barrel throat, that helped some but not for long.

I'll be hitting Brownell's tomorrow for the Wilson parts.
    Jack

Go with Ed Brown Hardcore instead of wilson

Jack...........YOU DID OUTSTANDING on that deal!! NOW........ Go shoot the heck outta that piece!! It will take it.......and you'll have a great time........you did very well with the 66 Trade.. I LOVE IT when I hear somebody got a great deal like you did! Congrats!!!!!
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

OD*
    Bud,

I bought three Ed Brown Hardcore slide stops a number of months back, damn things were cast! When did they go to castings?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Congrats Jack.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

You got me OD ..

used to be bar stock well ok go with the wilson then maclean3

Thanks guys! I think it's the first time I've sold or traded when I didn't feel like they owed me flowers or something. Think I'll be dealing with this shop whenever possible from now on.

Schweet!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Just ordered the Bulletproof slidestop directly from WC, Brownell's was out of stock ... $52.95 + $8.95 std. shipping. Gonna have to wait on other parts for now (thumb safety, spare Bulletproof extractor, beavertail & hammer).

Need to run to the store then I'll clean her up and get some pics posted.
    Jack

Links