Charles Daly 1911 Field EMS

This is a discussion on Charles Daly 1911 Field EMS within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Id like to read some debate here on these by some folks who have owned them or shot... I was in my buddies shop yesterday ...

Thread: Charles Daly 1911 Field EMS

Charles Daly 1911 Field EMS

Id like to read some debate here on these by some folks who have owned them or shot...

I was in my buddies shop yesterday and was just grabbing (fondling actually) everything he had in the case. This thing felt really good in my hand. I mean really good. I wouldnt want a full size and this seemed to be in the middle. The price was right too as I dont see myself dropping what some of the 1911's go for.

I really liked the feel of it though I certainly welcome the comments of the experts here.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

2. Remove Ads

My first 1911 was the full sized Charles Daly EFS. It is considered a lower-echelon 1911 and I knew that going in. I had smithed a number of guns and understood what it would take to get a 1911 going. So, I replaced the main spring, extractor and polished the feed ramp and boy-howdy does it run!
    Some people get the CDs that run out of the box too.
    For about the same money you can consider the Rock Island 1911. The reviews I read about it are somewhat better than the CD. For a little more money you can consider the Springfield, which is an excellent gun.
    Still, with the CD you get a bunch of bells and whistles.

Administrator
    Were I you I would save my money for a while longer and buy a 1911 with a forged frame and slide rather than the Daly which is all cast.

They also have very little resale ralue so whatever money you save initially you'll lose should you ever decide to part with it.

Me personally I'd rather have a pre-owned scratched and beat up Colt Commander than a brand spanky new Daly.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I was just trying to get an education on em... Seeing if anyone had one or had had one. Im not buying it. I am perfectly happy with the Kel Tec.

My guy is ordering up a few RIA's to have at his place though so Ill get to check them out too.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    There are two "camps" on the budget 1911 "issue". Those who like 'em, and those who don't. Like QKS said, the lower echelon are cast frames. This includes the RIA's.

A lot of us into the quality 1911's consider them as a "sub standard" gun, due to the cost cutting measures taken to keep the pricing where it is- low. Obviously I"m in the "don't like them" camp.

Thing about them is, a lot of their owners like them and get good service from them. From what I've read, many say theirs functions fine, is reliable and as accurate as needed. I DO often see the comment "it's a great gun for the money". Don't that much without the caveat.

I think if someone wants one, go for it. As long as one harbors no illusions as to what they're buying, they should be happy. If the want to compare it to something from "the other camp", I'd suggest not trying to compare a Yugo with a Chevy (Springfield), a Cadillac (Colt) or even a Mercedes (Wilson Combat). JMO. YMMV.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

My first 1911 was Charles Daly. Mine was one of the early production runs. It ran fine for the first hundred rounds or so. Then it stopped extracting the empty case. I put an Ed Brown extractor in it and it ran 100%. Great guns for the price.

Administrator
    I'm a 1911 snob. I admit it.

I've owned one for about 7-9yrs now. It has always gone bang! I had some extra cash and had a local smith(a great one) go through it and replace all the internals. For a cheap gun, it sure works. Think I paid about $300 for it new. I'd bet my life on it, yes, I carry it from time to time.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Links