XD owners...do you carry cocked?

This is a discussion on XD owners...do you carry cocked? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting.... I didn't realize the XD had no second strike capability... In that case it is exactly like SA pistols, just without the hammer because ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XD owners...do you carry cocked?

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Interesting.... I didn't realize the XD had no second strike capability... In that case it is exactly like SA pistols, just without the hammer because if it doesn't fire you have to rack the slide to recock the striker... furthermore, it is drastically different from a Glock in that case as a Glock is true DAO (unless I'm really forgetting how my brother's Glock shoots)... so lumping the two together really doesn't make sense...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Kevin,

Glock is the same as an XD, has no second strike capability. If you pull the trigger to the rear and no boom, you have to rack the slide again.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

JD
    Administrator
    I could go on a rant, but it's too much fun watching this train wreck.

FYI, the Glock is not "TRUE" double action.

My wife carries the XD9sc unloaded in her purse. I carry the clip with the ammo. When we are attacked I will ask her for the XD. She will unzip her purse and hand it to me. As this is happening I will get the clip out of my pocket and load the XD by racking the slide, hand her the weapon and run like hell in the opposite way to save myself.

Apparently I stand corrected and have made a horse's backside out of myself without knowing... Enjoy the remainder of your evening everyone

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

VIP Member

slightly off topic/ p99 decocker re: bigjake

Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    i personally liked the walther p99 at the time due to its decocker, and "double action" trigger first pull, but when i went in to buy it, they had changed the design, so if decocked one would have to re-cock by pulling the slide back,
    Slightly off topic, but I want to comment on the above remark. I keep my 99c decocked with one in the pipe. First, the DA on the initial shot will fire the weapon. Second, it really really takes very little movement of the slide to cock this weapon. It isn't a matter of fully racking the slide. It is more like moving it a half inch to an inch, and against very little resistance.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    I don't carry an XD yet... I'm considering a XDm right now... probably a winter carry option, but all of my Glock's I carry with one in the chamber - loaded and ready... otherwise it would be like carrying a revolver with an empty chamber.
    Carrying a revolver with an empty chamber is not the same, upon pulling the trigger it is now loaded with a hot cartridge and will fire, pulling the trigger on an auto will not give the same results.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

locked and cocked with a round in the chamber, ALWAYS.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Mr.K. Dolley: We love you man!!!! We all have questions and doubts about what to do and not to do. This is a great board, with some "VERY" knowledgeable individuals. Please keep an open mind an forgive me for offending you.

Yes.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Hey auburn... not you - you were hilarious!

Always.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Always have a round in the chamber - that is why you have 3 safeties on the gun and two on your body - is that not enough? (for those of you math impaired like I was - trigger safety, grip safety, striker safety plate AND your finger is a safety, your brain is the ultimate safety)

Glock is a partial Double action weapon - when the gun is cocked by running the slide the striker is pulled about 80% or so to the rear, the remaining 20% is pulled back by the action of the trigger.

XD's are single action, the striker is cocked all the way to the rear by the slide action.

Double action = 2 actions (one movement to the rear, 1 back forward) to cause the firing pin to strike the primer.

Single action = 1 action of the gun (release of the firing pin) to allow the firing pin to strike the primer.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Without a round in the chamber, you are just packin' a club.

One of the main reasons I bought an xd over a glock was it had a better trigger due to being a "true" single action.

always

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links