XD owners...do you carry cocked? - Page 4

XD owners...do you carry cocked?

This is a discussion on XD owners...do you carry cocked? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; caddisflinger - The trigger pull is something I am still debating with myself about! To me the XDm trigger is better for precise shooting, but ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: XD owners...do you carry cocked?

caddisflinger - The trigger pull is something I am still debating with myself about! To me the XDm trigger is better for precise shooting, but the Glock trigger has a faster reset for follow ups. granted I have shot probably 5 times as many rounds out of my glock 22 than I have out of my XDm .40 so time will tell.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

I do.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I could go on a rant, but it's too much fun watching this train wreck.

FYI, the Glock is not "TRUE" double action.
    JD -- you've got a lot more willpower than me. I just have a real obsession about mis-information.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy13 View Post
    And the XD has no Double action capabiltiy, as in you pul the trigger the striker does not operate.

I am not sure why you rolled your eyes. That is pretty much my understanding of the way a striker pistol operates. (1)It is not really single or double action in that when the action is cycled and a round is chambered the striker is set to fire. (2)The trigger pull is consistent on the first to the last round. (3)Double action would imply that during the pull of the trigger that the hammer is drawn rearward and not already set to go, which doesn't happen in these guns. and (4)Single action would imply that the hammer (or striker) would have to be drawn back to ready the pistol for a shot which doesn't happen either. So I think the guy at the gun shop was actually correct.
    I added some numbers to the quote above so I can address the items specifically.

(1) Not accurate. There are SA striker fired pistols, DA (more accurately DAO) striker fired pistols and some striker fired pistols that don't actually fall completely into one category or the other. A Kahr is a DA(O) striker fired pistol. When you pull the trigger, it cocks and releases the sear to fire the gun. A XD is a SA striker fired gun. When a round is chambered, the gun is at full cock. Pulling the trigger only releases the sear to fire the gun. Don't own Glocks, but as I understand them, they fall in between the two in that they are partially cocked when a round is chambered and pulling the trigger completes cocking and releases the sear to fire the gun.

(2) This one's true.

(3) Not accurate. As noted in (1) above, Kahr pistols are true DAOs.

(4) Misleading. In a SA auto, the gun is cocked (be it hammer or striker) by the action of racking the slide and chambering a round. No further action is necessary to make the gun fire other than pulling the trigger which does not cock the gun, only releases the sear. On a SA revolver, the hammer must be cocked manually each time before pulling the trigger which releases the sear.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I could go on a rant, but it's too much fun watching this train wreck.

FYI, the Glock is not "TRUE" double action.
    JD -- you've got a lot more willpower than me. I just have a real obsession about mis-information.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy13 View Post
    And the XD has no Double action capabiltiy, as in you pul the trigger the striker does not operate.

I am not sure why you rolled your eyes. That is pretty much my understanding of the way a striker pistol operates. (1)It is not really single or double action in that when the action is cycled and a round is chambered the striker is set to fire. (2)The trigger pull is consistent on the first to the last round. (3)Double action would imply that during the pull of the trigger that the hammer is drawn rearward and not already set to go, which doesn't happen in these guns. and (4)Single action would imply that the hammer (or striker) would have to be drawn back to ready the pistol for a shot which doesn't happen either. So I think the guy at the gun shop was actually correct.
    I added some numbers to the quote above so I can address the items specifically.

Edited to add -- And now, I'll correct my own mis-information. The Kahrs are not actually a true DAO. According to the Kahr web site, they are partially cocked. Pulling the trigger completes cocking and releases the sear, much like my understanding of how a Glock works. This leaves me at a loss trying to think of a true DAO striker fired pistol. One that actually fully cocks the striker and releases the sear for each trigger pull. I'd appreciate anyone letting me know of an example if they are aware of one. I left my original references below to Kahrs intact to show my error.

(1) Not accurate. There are SA striker fired pistols, DA (more accurately DAO) striker fired pistols and some striker fired pistols that don't actually fall completely into one category or the other. A Kahr is a DA(O) striker fired pistol. When you pull the trigger, it cocks and releases the sear to fire the gun. A XD is a SA striker fired gun. When a round is chambered, the gun is at full cock. Pulling the trigger only releases the sear to fire the gun. Don't own Glocks, but as I understand them, they fall in between the two in that they are partially cocked when a round is chambered and pulling the trigger completes cocking and releases the sear to fire the gun.

(2) This one's true.

(3) Not accurate. As noted in (1) above, Kahr pistols are DAOs.

(4) Misleading. In a SA auto, the gun is cocked (be it hammer or striker) by the action of racking the slide and chambering a round. No further action is necessary to make the gun fire other than pulling the trigger which does not cock the gun, only releases the sear. On a SA revolver, the hammer must be cocked manually each time before pulling the trigger which then releases the sear.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Absolutely! The reason that I went to the trouble and expense to get my CCW, including the cost of the guns and holsters, was to always be able to defend myself and m family. If the striker is not cocked, or there's no round in the chamber, I am not prepared to accomplish my goal of carrying. Should the situation call for me to draw my gun, I don't know if the BG will be polite enough to wait for me to pull back the slide in order to be able to use the gun. If you carry, you need to be able bring your gun into play at a moment's notice. If I cannot do that, I don't need to carry.

VIP Member
    Anyone wanna bet on how many more times this year someone ask this question again?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Yes. Chamber loaded. Striker cocked. 16+1 ready to go.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

Senior Member Array KevinDooley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Anyone wanna bet on how many more times this year someone ask this question again?
    LOL... with the influx of new people... once every week or two?? Bringing us to somewhere between 52 and 26... I know, it's a wide range, so I'll throw out my personal guess... 38.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

The will to win is worthless if you do not have the will to prepare. -Thane Yost

I'm the one that asked...so I'm obviously new.

What's exciting to me is that in about two weeks, someone else that's new will ask, and I'll be able to put in a reply...with a big 'ol YES.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It is the same classic question as "do you carry with one in the chamber" this question has been around forever it was even discussed in my CCW class ten years ago. So yes, it will come up again and again especiallly in light of the typical general firearms training that teaches "never store a loaded firearm".
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    It is the same classic question as "do you carry with one in the chamber" this question has been around forever it was even discussed in my CCW class ten years ago. So yes, it will come up again and again especiallly in light of the typical general firearms training that teaches "never store a loaded firearm".
    That's because people confuse "Stored' and "In use" for potential self defense. If I cam carrying the gun, or plan on using that gun for self defense, it is in use and should be loaded. If I don't plan on using that gun it should be stored, and I do "store" my guns with empty chambers.

Ok then...how about the home defense gun that's kept (stored?) in the nightstand?

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Preaching to the Choir

That's because people confuse "Stored' and "In use" for potential self defense. If I cam carrying the gun, or plan on using that gun for self defense, it is in use and should be loaded. If I don't plan on using that gun it should be stored, and I do "store" my guns with empty chambers.
    JD, I am on page, my point was that many people new to the idea of carrying firearms revert to their original basic firearms handling "rules" and become confused by the necessary realities of carrying for self defense purposes.

Cheers,
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    JD, I am on page, my point was that many people new to the idea of carrying firearms revert to their original basic firearms handling "rules" and become confused by the necessary realities of carrying for self defense purposes.

Cheers,
    I know, see below...

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    Ok then...how about the home defense gun that's kept (stored?) in the nightstand?
    If you plan on using the gun for defensive purposes, keep it loaded.

VIP Member

Home defense gun

Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    I keep rounds in the chamber. I keep both my .40 and .380 decocked when they are in the house. When carrying, the .380 is cocked and locked.

I am not sufficiently familiar with either the XD or the Glock to know if either has a decocker and easy way to re-cock without completely cycling the slide. My recollection is that Glock does not. Don't know about the XD. IN any case, both are designed for one in the pipe and safety isn't an issue. I particularly like the grip safety on the XD.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links