XD owners...do you carry cocked?

This is a discussion on XD owners...do you carry cocked? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ace5000 Would you guys carry a 1911 cocked and UNLOCKED? I ask because that single action trigger pull is pretty darn light ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: XD owners...do you carry cocked?

Quote Originally Posted by ace5000 View Post
    Would you guys carry a 1911 cocked and UNLOCKED?

I ask because that single action trigger pull is pretty darn light on an XD...

The XD typically has a much longer pull, and is not as light as a 1911, unless you get it worked on. Out of the box, there is no comparison.

If the 1911 was truly drop safe, then I'd carry unlocked. This would require it be the type that has the firing pin block. There are hundreds of stories when a 1911 became unlocked while in the holster, and the person didn't realize it. BHPs too.

I read a post once that said," Keep your booger hook off the bang switch, and you will be fine." Sage advice...

Carry in a good holster that holds the pistol securely and completely covers the trigger. Do not place your finger on the trigger until you are ready to fire. If you do these, and have a drop safe pistol, then a safety switch is unnecessary, in my opinion.
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

2. Remove Ads

cobrar97,

As everyone on this forum will tell you, it makes no sense to carry without a chambered round. However, if you are a new shooter and are not comfortable carrying with one in the pipe at this point, then don't do it. I am sure that at some point you will begin to feel comfortable enough in your gun handling skills to begin carrying with a chambered round. In the interim, learn what has been called the Israeli draw, where you slingshot the slide as part of the draw/presentation movement. This move is never going to be as fast for bringing the gun into action as it would be to simply draw with a chambered round, but its still going to be faster than the alternative of going around unarmed and asking the bad guy to excuse you while you go home and retrieve your gun

TN Mike --- Tell us the story!!!

bklynboy --- What's the slingshot method to the slide?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    TN Mike --- Tell us the story!!!

bklynboy --- What's the slingshot method to the slide?
    1: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...one-today.html

2: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...aeli-draw.html

I carry XD40 Service, with a round chambered.
    Mykel

more later...

I always have one in the chamber just in case.
    "I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it."

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Yes!!! One in the chamber, and top off the mag.
    me too
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    me too
    +1 here as well!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Yes!!! One in the chamber, and top off the mag.
    +1 just like that every day all day Loaded with 230 grain HST
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    cobrar97,

As everyone on this forum will tell you, it makes no sense to carry without a chambered round. However, if you are a new shooter and are not comfortable carrying with one in the pipe at this point, then don't do it. I am sure that at some point you will begin to feel comfortable enough in your gun handling skills to begin carrying with a chambered round. In the interim, learn what has been called the Israeli draw, where you slingshot the slide as part of the draw/presentation movement. This move is never going to be as fast for bringing the gun into action as it would be to simply draw with a chambered round, but its still going to be faster than the alternative of going around unarmed and asking the bad guy to excuse you while you go home and retrieve your gun
    I believe that if a person is uncomfortable with the idea of a semi auto CCW that is ready to fire, they would be better served with a double action revolver as their CCW. Just my opinion...
    Washington Post 06/28/2010 re: Supreme Court Decision
    "The court's decision means that the enigmatically worded Second Amendment... identifies an individual right to gun ownership, like the freedom of speech, that cannot be unduly restricted by Congress, state laws or city ordinances. "

Originally Posted by ace5000
    "Would you guys carry a 1911 cocked and UNLOCKED?

I ask because that single action trigger pull is pretty darn light on an XD..."

The trigger on an XD and a 1911 are quite a bit different even though they are both single action. The XD has a two stage trigger versus the 1911 which is just single stage. The first stage on the XD is about 2 lbs and has about 3/8 of an inch of take up. The second stage is the nice clean 5-6 lb break. A 1911 should have no takeup just a nice clean break. The XD also has a trigger safety and beavertail safety which prevents the gun from firing if it is dropped.

Neither gun is going to go bang without your booker hook on the bang switch, but the trigger mechanism in each gun are very different. No, I probably wouldn't carry it cocked and unlocked.

always one in the tube

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links