Can I use +P ammunition in my Kahr PM9?

This is a discussion on Can I use +P ammunition in my Kahr PM9? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have totally read the PDF manual, and read all the magazine articles I have on it and still have not come across anything mentioning ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have totally read the PDF manual, and read all the magazine articles I have on it and still have not come across anything mentioning +P ammo.

Can the Kahr PM9 be fed +P ammo? I really hope so because with 9mm I am wanting that extra ummmmph!

CorBon +p. in particular

From Kahr's web site:
    Q. Which ammunition is recommended for use with Kahr firearms?

A. Kahr Arms does not endorse any particular brand of ammunition. However, not every brand of ammunition produces the same results. Please check the markings on the barrel hood of your firearm to determine the proper caliber. Kahr suggests a visit to a pistol range to test fire different brands of ammunition in the proper caliber. Kahr cautions against the use of reloads. Lead (unjacketed) bullets can cause excessive fouling and extra attention to cleaning the bore is recommended after firing lead bullets. The Kahr pistol is rated to +P.
    So yes, although I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of it.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

My CW9 loves it.

Hey Hoss...glad to see you remembered from a similar thread on the Glock Kahr site!

Had a PM9 for awhile. I used mostly DoubleTap JHP +P and Federal Hydrashok Tactical JHP +P+, while reviewing it as a candidate carry piece. While I wouldn't recommend a complete diet of +P in the volumes you'd shoot a larger steel gun, I wouldn't be too concerned with feeding it the occasional box of +P and carrying +P daily.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I talked to a rep of Kahr about my P9. She said it was rated for +P, but not +P+.
    I had some malfunctions with Ranger +P+ hence my query. Evidently the slide velocity is too high with +P+ to be reliable.

Some will now say that they have fired 500 rounds of +P+ without a problem, but I do not use it in my Kahr. I use the +P+ in my G26. It handles it OK. I settled on the Fed HST 147 gr ammo for my P9.

Regards,
    Jerry

+P is fine.

I carry my MK9 with CorBon +P and it is pretty darn accurate. I don't practice with it regularly but feed a mag or two every so often just to get the muscle memory working. Kahrs are fine guns.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Before my PM9 was stolen i used GoldDot SB 124+p in it, my kahr ate it up and shot to poi with that specific ammo.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I use it in my (steel) K9, but not in the PM9, too much recoil for the lightweight itty bitty gun. Also, don't even think about +P+.

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    Before my PM9 was stolen i used GoldDot SB 124+p in it, my kahr ate it up and shot to poi with that specific ammo.
    How'd that theft happen?

My Kahrs shoot more accurately than any other semiauto I've got with everything I put in'em. Best value, in my opinion.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I use it in my (steel) K9, but not in the PM9, too much recoil for the lightweight itty bitty gun. Also, don't even think about +P+.

How'd that theft happen?

My Kahrs shoot more accurately than any other semiauto I've got with everything I put in'em. Best value, in my opinion.
    I drive a Jeep and it was taken out of my truck, someone unzipped the rear window and walked off with it along with other things. The recoil really wasn't that bad. I had filed down some of the checkering on the backstrap area so it wouldn't chew though my hand on range days.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    I drive a Jeep and it was taken out of my truck, someone unzipped the rear window and walked off with it along with other things. ....

Well, that's a drag, I'm sorry for your loss.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHorn View Post
    I have totally read the PDF manual, and read all the magazine articles I have on it and still have not come across anything mentioning +P ammo.

Can the Kahr PM9 be fed +P ammo? I really hope so because with 9mm I am wanting that extra ummmmph!

CorBon +p. in particular
    I fired about 100 rounds of Golden Saber 124 gr. +p through my Kahr PM9 just to ensure reliable operation before settling on that for my carry ammo.

Of course, I mainly shoot normal pressure FMJ at the range.

- OS

VIP Member
    I use Federal EFMJ 124 gr. +P in my CW9 and it likes them real well. I don't notice that the recoil is any greater than when I shoot WWB 115 gr. The Kahr grip was rough on my hand, so I got an AGrip like I had put on my wife's CW9 and that really made the pistol a lot more comfortable to shoot.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    I use Federal EFMJ 124 gr. +P in my CW9 and it likes them real well. I don't notice that the recoil is any greater than when I shoot WWB 115 gr. The Kahr grip was rough on my hand, so I got an AGrip like I had put on my wife's CW9 and that really made the pistol a lot more comfortable to shoot.
    I just wear my archery shooting gloves on my hands at the range after I fire 3or 4 mags barehanded. I really like how that grip locks into your hand and gets cemented into place (aka chewing into your palm). I want that to happen when I am in a life or death situation.
    So I practice without the gloves first off then move to them for comfort after a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links