Browning High Power Comedy of Errors

This is a discussion on Browning High Power Comedy of Errors within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- As some of you know, I'm "breaking in" a new Hi Power Practical that I recently purchased. First, let me say that I love ...

Thread: Browning High Power Comedy of Errors

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As some of you know, I'm "breaking in" a new Hi Power Practical that I recently purchased.

First, let me say that I love the gun. It's more than I expected in some ways, and not quite what I expected in others. It's not the gun's fault, nor the manufacturers. I attribute what I am expiriencing to "growing pains" for lack of a better term.

I called C & S and ordered a Wide Combat Trigger. When my Gunsmith went to put it in, he said found out that the Trigger doesn't fit, and can't be fitted wiTh the judicious use of a file. It has something to do with the Sear and how the Trigger fits in the Frame.

Since the Wide Combat Trigger was my way of getting around the Magazine Disconnect, I'm stuck with having the disconnect in the gun. I could take it out, but I refuse to, for potential legal issues that could arise from this. So, I'm stuck with the regular Trigger and Magazine Disconnect. That's not too big of a deal for me, as I can live with it and work around it.

When he put the Magazine Disconnect and "stock" Trigger back in the gun, he used a replacement Magazine Disconnect Pin, that I ordered from Brownell's. That fell out when I was cleaning the gun last night. I took it back to him today and he put another one in, and staked it or something, and said that he would play heck getting it out in the future. So, that "issue" is fixed.

When I had him attempt to put in the C & S Trigger I also had him install some Trijicon Night Sights. I love the Yellow Rear/Green Front combo I ordered, and generally favor Trijicon. Two days of shooting, approximately 120 rounds later, the Front Sight goes flying off. I found it easily enough, as when it came off the gun it hit my glasses. I'm lucky that the Gunsmith works at the Range. I took him the Front Sight and he remedied that "issue" as well. He used a combination of LokTite and staking, as well as "roughing up the underside of the Sight" to put it in place.

About this time one of the employees at the Range, who was there when I dropped the gun off to have this work done, and knows me, commented that maybe this gun was "jinxed". The funny thing is, warts and all, I'm loving this gun. After I got these "issued" remedied today I put another fifty rounds through it and even noticed that I could get rounds to load using the "slingshot" method. If you recall, I had an earlier post where I was unable to do that with this pistol.

I'm thinking that this pistol is just "breaking in" and all that I'm expiriencing are just "growing pains". I also had him move the Rear Sight over, just a hair, because I'm left eye dominant, but shooting right handed. Besides the loading issue, this gun has fed rounds with consistancy, and seems to like any ammo I put through it. The only malfunctions, once loaded, have been shooter induced due to my grip. That is being rectified, as I am altering where I place my support hand, especially the thumb.

I think I may have found the one and only platform for me, unless I go back to Revolvers. I like my 1911, but I love the feel and consistancy of the Hi Power. What I don't like is the little things going wrong, but that can be fixed, IMHO.

I called this post a, "Comedy of Errors" because today at the Range it seems that the Gunsmith had to "fix" something on my gun every time he turned around. I even told him that I was going to have him come home with me, so he could fix my gun after I cleaned it tonight.

I'm not knocking his work, and stuff can go wrong that is nobody's fault. When I got done shooting, 175 Rounds toatal tonight, I think I saw him breath a sigh of relief that I was leaving. He darn sure earned his money with me, and I'd use him again in a heartbeat. Talking with him, I feel that he knows what he's doing, I just happened to have that "One gun that you can never get right no matter what you do."

Take care and stay safe,

Biker

You need someone else to work the gun. The wide trigger doesn't have much of anywhere that would need "filing, to fit..." the frame is the same as the other MkII/IIIs, so the only real alteration might be in the height of the trigger lever (part 46)
    Brownells - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories and Gunsmithing Tools

If you have serious tolerance stacking, where the neck of the trigger is too wide, and the frame cut too small, you might have some work to do, but the parts should mic out to roughly the original part's dimensions.

The wide trigger does have to be canted in, from what I remember, it doesn't lower directly into the trigger slot- but that it is why it's called the "wide trigger."

Sounds like the gun is having hickups due to being fiddled with. 'If it ain't broken don't fix it'.. and if you have to fix it when it isn't broken, make sure it's fixed by someone who won't break it in the process.

How is the BHP compared to the 1911 in your hand? I have conflicting reports, some stating that it's the slimmest 9 mm double stacker, to others stating that it is blocky and uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by joffe View Post
    How is the BHP compared to the 1911 in your hand? I have conflicting reports, some stating that it's the slimmest 9 mm double stacker, to others stating that it is blocky and uncomfortable.

The Hi Power fits my hands better than the 1911. The 1911 is a "good" fit, the Hi Power is a "great fit". For me the better "fit" is in relation to my fourth and fifth digits.

As far as the "fiddling, monkeying with" and what not. This is 'smith #2 to look at this Trigger. I'm fairly certain, as are they, that this Trigger will not work in this gun. I'll keep this gun as close to "stock" as possible, since if I ever have to use it, I fully expect to lose it to a Police Evidence Locker. I also have to consider the various gun attitudes of the various courts in all fifty states, since it's an off duty carry gun.

I do shoot a little better with the Wide Combat Trigger on another Hi Power, but not enough to matter unless you are using a micrometer to measure things. It's a very small difference in my hand, maybe 5 X's as oppossed to 6. The 6th one will be just off the X, but still so close it almost makes it.

Biker

Ahem...

Continue. :)

-JT

I'd love to see pictures as well, now that you've got it "right". I'm going to have to put a few hundred rounds through my 469 and make sure my hand filed dovetail holds that front sight in.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Here's a link to PICs.

Browning Hi-Power Owners Forum - New Practical

Biker

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Biker,

I love my HP also. It, like your's fit's my hand perfectly and is a great shooter. I would suggest talking to Cogan at AP&W. AP&W worked over a HP for me years ago and the trigger went from horrible to a very nice one thanks to his crews handiwork. They did remove the magazine disconnect and I have had removed the one on my current HP.

I'm not a lawyer and don't know what state you are in but I do not believe you'll be crucified if you have the trigger set at a crisp 4.5 - 5 lbs. that has been installed by a reputable gunsmith. The disconnect is IMO a nuisance and if it is a justifiable shoot should not present a problem. You could also talk with the PBA or FOP and run this through a lawyer for your own peace of mind. JMO

Good luck as that HP is one fine pistol. Mine was to pretty to carry and I went to a H&K P7.

Here are 2 links for you to check out:

Hi Powers and Handguns Great info on the HP and info on removing the disconnect

New Page 1 Great guy and outstanding gunsmith!!

Good luck and stay safe,

Roger
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Here are a couple of pics of BikerRN's HP:

Nice looking gun!

-JT

I've got two just like that, one in 9 and one in .40. Both are great shooters. My first HP I shot comp with for years and later gave it to my preacher as a gift. He loves it too. My .02 cents --- the best all around weapon ever built.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    My .02 cents --- the best all around weapon ever built.
    I agree.

I think the fact that there is so little in the way of after-market accessories for this gun is a testament to just how perfect it is. This one is a shooter, as they all are, and I'm keeping it.

I plan to make this one my off duty carry gun, and BTW, it's a .40.

Biker

Cthulhu

I'd like to take a moment and thank Cthulhu for posting the PICS of my gun that I E-mailed him.

I'm a technological moron and every time I go to a photo hosting site, my computer crashes worse than if it was at the Stock Car Races. The computer, like me, is old and has less memory than my 97 y/o senile Grandma.

Thank you mate.

Biker

That's a great looking gun. I can see why you fell in love. Old school is cool!

Most of my guns are older styles but they are the ones I cherish the most! Actually, the only truly modern firearm I own is a Glock. All the rest where manufactured between 1899 and 1985. Boy am I getting old!
    Question Everything!

Hey BikerRN, I just picked up the same gun from Gander's used guns for a little over $500. In mint condition, .40, adjustable sights. It grips, points great and is insanely accurate. Once yours "calms down" I'm sure you will like it.

Sponsored Links