Any BENEFIT to stainless slide on XD over black?

This is a discussion on Any BENEFIT to stainless slide on XD over black? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm going to buy an XD subcompact tonight for concealed carry. Question is...they have both the black and stainless slides in stock. For concealed carry, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any BENEFIT to stainless slide on XD over black?

Question Any BENEFIT to stainless slide on XD over black?

I'm going to buy an XD subcompact tonight for concealed carry. Question is...they have both the black and stainless slides in stock.

For concealed carry, I'd assume the black is hidden a little better if your shirt comes up accidently or something. But is there any benefit to having the stainless if not considering appearance?

The stainless is $20 more, and if there's a good reason to get the stainless, I would. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Ads

The biggest advantage I can think of for a stainless slide is that the finish won't wear off from repeated holsterings. Any applied finish will eventually show some wear, though I've found the XD black finish to be very durable.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I'll add to my question then...for a daily carry weapon, would you pay $20 more for the stainless slide?

Does anyone believe the stainless slide to be BAD because of it's shininess for a concealed gun?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrar97 View Post
    I'll add to my question then...for a daily carry weapon, would you pay $20 more for the stainless slide?

Does anyone believe the stainless slide to be BAD because of it's shininess for a concealed gun?
    No and no.

The black XD is Melonite and is one of the most durable finishes available.

The stainless slide is just a matter of preference to some for being more visually appealing. Some actually LIKE the more visual gun and feel that if they have to draw it the stainless will make it look bigger and that the bad guy will KNOW that it's a gun being pointed at him.

Agreed, no and no. I have a two tone XDm simply because the wife liked the look better and I wasn't going to argue if it meant she was even more supportive of the purchase.

I recently purchased an XD Subcompact 9mm all black and I love this thing. My Walther PPS broke after 200 rounds and had to be sent back for repair so I picked up the XD and I love it. Black was my choice for concealment purposes and I like the way it looks.

As long as it is concealed, it doesn't matter what it looks like. I have a stainless slide on my polymer pistol. I just like the looks.

Stainless vote

I personally like the looks and durability of a stainless slide, and have a number of semiautos in that configuration. So I would opt for the stainless XD.

As for the "stealth black gun" argument, I would point out that a concealed gun is not visible, regardless of slide color. And if you draw the gun, you probably want the other party to see it, as it might deter them without your having to shoot.

Of course if you do night work as a ninja, the all black gun will probably match the rest of your outfit better.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

VIP Member
    I think "black" has the advantage, especially from a concealment standpoint.

Melonite will last as long as the rest of the gun will.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

i always buy stainless steel weapons. xd9sc bi-tone. stainless steel S&W 2" 38 police special. dont worry about cc. I just like them because the finish does not rub off and they clean better and faster.

I forgot about my night job as a Ninja...maybe I SHOULD go with the black. No one likes a ninja with a gun anyhow, let alone a shiney gun.

I have an XD9 SC in stainless and it's much easier to see when you've got it clean. No more checking the wipes for residue..........

What JD said..

and Bad Monkeys wear black.

You might also find this thread at XDTalk interesting.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

I got my first stainless slide gun awhile back (an XD .45ACP Service) and I did find one advantage over my Melanite coated XD: it's easier to tell if the slide is clean after shooting. Oh...and, I think it looks nice.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

For all those interested, I bought my new XD subcompact tonight. I decided on the stainless slide. That's what my XD-M is, and not only does it look a little nicer, but I agree with it making the cleaning after shooting easier...or at least easy to tell when it's clean.

So thanks for all the info, but the SS won...and it was only $20 more than black.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links