EAA Witness Full size 10mm?

This is a discussion on EAA Witness Full size 10mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been thinking of getting a 1911 hi-cap, either Para-Ord, or Springfield. Then I stumbled on the EAA Witness made by Tanfoglio. This seems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAA Witness Full size 10mm?

I had been thinking of getting a 1911 hi-cap, either Para-Ord, or Springfield. Then I stumbled on the EAA Witness made by Tanfoglio. This seems to be an interesting firearm. You can get it in .22LR, 9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45ACP, and 10mm Auto. Not only that, but if you buy one gun, you can get conversion units for all the other calibers, essentially having 6 guns in one.

All the reviews I've seen of this firearm have been running about 95% in favor of it. I am seriously thinking of getting one of these.

Anyone here have any experience with one in any caliber?

Years ago, I sold a Customer a 9MM gun, and it jammed so much, I took it back and never bought one again.. I'm not sure about today's guns, but the Customers still pass them by when they see em at the Store... For the $$$.........they look and feel like the CZ75. I'd spend the extra and get the CZ, since the Tanfoglio is a Clone of the CZ..
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Years ago, I sold a Customer a 9MM gun, and it jammed so much, I took it back and never bought one again.. I'm not sure about today's guns, but the Customers still pass them by when they see em at the Store... For the $$$.........they look and feel like the CZ75. I'd spend the extra and get the CZ, since the Tanfoglio is a Clone of the CZ..
    Well, I might, but I don't think CZ makes one in 10mm. On the CZ forum (ezboard), they've got a subforum for CZ clones, and there's a ton of people there who swear BY the Witness. Very few complaints.

Assistant Administrator
    Never heard a whole lot about these - good or bad.

Superficially sounds interesting. Ideally I think I'd want to see and shoot one.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Most folks I know go withthe CZ. Even Jeff Cooper, famous for his disdain of the 9mm grudgingly admitted that the CZ is the best example of a 9mm crutchinticker as he calls the 9mm. Most of the folks in my IDPA club stay away from the EAA in favor of the CZ but I think that's only a couple to start with. I was contemplating getting a Witness 45 compact in the all steel variation, but I looked at the price (does cheap mean cheap?) and the potential resale prices (low) and decided to save for an H&K USP!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I had a Witness in .45ACP the only time it jammed was with loads that were in the low end category as far as powder charge.

As for the 10mm version a local shop has the polymere frame models for something around $249, IIRC. And I've been thinking about them. Because the all steel large frame guns feel like a lead brick as far as weight when loaded.

VIP Member
    I own a blued, full-sized steel Witness 10mm which has suffered some issues that I've posted on 10mmtalk.com:

http://www.10mmTalk.com/index.php?sh...710&hl=witness

Despite my problems with my Witness, I know of others with little to no problems with their guns. I think the Witness are diamonds in the rough, which is why I haven't sold mine.

With a Wolff extra power recoil spring and a Sprinco recoil reducer, my Witness (when firing the single ten-round mag that came with it) is the softest shooting 10mm in my collection.

When I get off my butt, I will send the gun to Cylinder & Slide to get worked on.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

What I'd really like to see is a conversion for the CZ-97 into 10MM. THAT would be THE 10MM to have.
    The 97's accuracy is amazing.

I own a Witness Tactical II (all steel) in 40 S&W and think it is one of the best made guns I own. I've seen guns costing 2-3 times the price of the Witness that weren't as well made. I also own a CZ in 40 and would say that the Witness is at least as well built as my CZ. I've only fired a few 100 rounds through the Witness since I got it last year, but it has never had a failure of any king and was perfectly sighted in (at least for me) straight out of the box. I am seriously considering the Witness as the gun I'll use the next time I qualify for my CCL.
    Attached Images
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

So far, since I started my search. The recommendations to buy one, versus those who tell me to avoid it have been running about 20-1 in favor of buying one.

I think, when I get in IRS refund, I'm buying an EAA Witness steel frame, Wonder Finish full size 10mm.

you should be happy. I had one in .40 about 13 years ago. A sweet all-steel pistol. I think I traded it for my first .44 mag....

In case I forgot to tell anyone

I did get an EAA Witness. Only it's not in 10mm, it's in .45ACP. I could have ordered one from out of state, but came across this one in a local gun store and just couldn't walk away from it.

It shoots pretty darn good. Since I bought it this past March, I've put 500 rounds through it, and it hasn't jammed or failed to fire once.

Hopefully, I'll get the 10mm conversion kit for it next month and see how it works then.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    I did get an EAA Witness. Only it's not in 10mm, it's in .45ACP. I could have ordered one from out of state, but came across this one in a local gun store and just couldn't walk away from it.

It shoots pretty darn good. Since I bought it this past March, I've put 500 rounds through it, and it hasn't jammed or failed to fire once.

Hopefully, I'll get the 10mm conversion kit for it next month and see how it works then.

Very cool the conversion kits seem like a cool ideal to easy to change caliber ..

Only think i have read and seen negitive on the EAA is some 10mm's have cracked the slides and i have seen one cracked at the range.. Now this have been few years ago so that might be fixed by now

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Very cool the conversion kits seem like a cool ideal to easy to change caliber ..

Only think i have read and seen negitive on the EAA is some 10mm's have cracked the slides and i have seen one cracked at the range.. Now this have been few years ago so that might be fixed by now
    The problems may stem from the recoil springs. Everyone I've chatted with on this, who has one, say to get Wolff springs in 20 or 22# weights. They especially say to do this, if I plan to use DoubleTap ammo in it. I'm way ahead there, already got the springs, now I just need the conversion kit.

By the way, if you go to 10mmtalk.com, you'll read mostly good stuff about the EAA Witness in 10mm.

Ive been over there never read up on the witness was looking at glock 20 to get a eaa here its order only never seen one even at the gun shows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links