10MM auto

This is a discussion on 10MM auto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Iam relatively new to the pistol market, I have been carring for about six months. I have a few questions about the 10mm auto. Do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10MM auto

10MM auto

Iam relatively new to the pistol market, I have been carring for about six months. I have a few questions about the 10mm auto. Do any of you cary one? Can you buy the ammo in jhp? I have done a little reading on it and found that the cartridge was deemed too powerful for the FBI. Iam interested in this cartridge because i have been told that it is an accurate one. Also what manufactures offer pistols chambered in this round? All feedback is appreciated.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!” - Ben Franklin

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I own a 10, but don't carry it.

You can find any type of round you want for it from lead reloads to FMJ and JHP. No problem there.

Colt makes a 1911 versio. SW and Glock make the more popular models in 10.

I personally like the cartridge, but it got scarcer and more expensive when the FBI went away from it. Many or most of the other agencies that had gone to it also jumped ship shortly thereafter. It's a good SD round if you don't mind the weight and recoil. Going with a .45 is easier because the ammo is cheaper and more prevalent and the firearm choice is much more extensive.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I have a Smith & Wesson 1066 that I carried for all of 2007 and most of 2008. I quit carrying it because I wanted more capacity in my pistol. I really do like the 10mm.

If you do a bit of research you will learn two things about the FBI and the 10mm. First is that the original 10mm pistols were not designed for the stresses the round produced. They were mostly just 9mm pistols enlarged. Second generation 10mm pistols did not have the problems that the first generation did. The second thing is that most 10mm ammo sold today is not to the original FBI specs. It is a lower power ammo. Still powerful, but not the full blown FBI version. That ammo is available, but is very expensive.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Glock 29 here. Winchester, Hornady, Cor-Bon, and others make hollow point ammo in 10mm. It is usually a little harder to find 10mm ammo, but internet sales and even asking your favorite dealer to order it should not cause too much inconvenience.

As a side note, this past summer I was buying all the "dusty" boxes I could find in small shops as I traveled. This new old stock in most cases was priced relatively cheaper than the more popular calibers that had a constant turn-over and were subject to pre-election buying, i.e., higher prices. One dealer sold me an older box of Hornady and told me when he re-ordered it that it would be about $10.00 higher next time. Good luck in your research and take a chance on the 10mm. You will enjoy it. john

reload...too expensive not to.

The 10mm was not too powerful for the FBI. They never tested full power loads.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

bae
    I carry a Glock in 10mm quite often.

Ammunition is easy to come by, I generally order from Double Tap.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    As for ammo. Georgia-Arms canned heat for range ammo and DT for carry. Also, reloaders llike the 10mm a lot. I've got a bead on a new G29SF as soon as my next check comes in. I've already got tons of mags and ammo waiting.

10mm

I have a question about the 10mm. Are they prone more so than others to jam and stove pipe. I know the troopers hear in VA were using them for a short time and I talked to a couple of them and they said they had lots of problems with them. Im just curious. They all switched to Sig's in .357.

VIP Member
    I don't think a given caliber is more likely to jam than any other. Most often it will be the weapon design combined with a given load or bullet type. If they kept experiencing the same type of jam, they most likely needed to find a different load or a different bullet shape.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

good round. ammo price is high. reload to save $. one of the reasons the fbi dropped it was that the females and girley men in the basic agent classes could not shoot it. it was too much of a gun for them. also the guns were 10mm barrels in a 9mm gun. the guns did not hold up.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Why, yes! I carry a Delta Match 10. A Colt factory special built, one of 400. It is a handful and quite accurate. That's a deSantis Thumb Break.

Quote Originally Posted by alteredspeed View Post
    I have a question about the 10mm. Are they prone more so than others to jam and stove pipe. I know the troopers hear in VA were using them for a short time and I talked to a couple of them and they said they had lots of problems with them. Im just curious. They all switched to Sig's in .357.
    Never had that (or any other) problem with my Glock 29.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

I have a 10mm but don't carry it because I prefer to carry a DA. If you're interested in 10mm and accuracy, read up on the .357 SIG. You won't be disappointed with this round. The .357 SIG from my P229 is the only thing I have shot that approaches the accuracy of my 10mm Delta.
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Match10 that thing tucks in nice there. I may have to try that!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links