Kahr P45 with ISSUES

Kahr P45 with ISSUES

This is a discussion on Kahr P45 with ISSUES within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been a CCW carrier for more than 15 years have carried everything under the sun from one time to another, my most recent ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kahr P45 with ISSUES

Kahr P45 with ISSUES

I have been a CCW carrier for more than 15 years have carried everything under the sun from one time to another, my most recent
    addition is a Kahr P45. Picked it up on Tuesday 2/2/2009 and did the standard brake down and clean, than used gun grease #3 and headed for the range. Out of 250 rounds of Lawmen FMJ 230GRN rounds I never had one full magazine with out a malfunction!! I understand fully that every now and again you will get a lemon in a bunch, and I consider my self a person that does his home work but I never expected such a bad experience from what I have read was a top notch weapon!! I asked the manager to fire the weapon and told him before we went on to the range what to expect and rite on cue two FTE's and on the second to last round the magazine would fall out every single time. So we put it back in the box and on
    2/3/2009 its on its way back to Kahr!! I believe in giving them the chance to make things rite, on anothe note I e-mailed there customer service that very day and yet to get a reply, any one else have a similar experience, and I will stop sniviling like a school girl!!
    It's easier to avoid trouble than it is to get out of it.

Did you check with Kahr to see if there is a break-in period? When I got my XD45, I couldn't get through two rounds without it jammng up on me. I contacted Springfield and found out there is a 500 round break-in period. I plugged along and around the 300 round mark, it stopped jamming. Since then I've put about 500 more rounds without a single problem. That may be all it is.

Just a suggestion......Good luck with whatever the problem is.

Yes per the Kahr owners manual the suggested break in is 200 rounds hence the 250 I put through it on it's first outing, but let me make it clear I never made it through a single magazine with out a malfunction, there is in my mind any way, something wrong with the weapon!! I also own a XD in a service model 4" 45ACP and have well into the 2000 round mark and rite out of the box never have had a single MF, I am suprised by your experience with your XD thats very uncommon, thanks for your input, any one else have a fun story about there Kahr P 45

Administrator
    Thats why I never recomend any more than a 9mm in the Kahrs. Did you try different ammo?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ammo

Winchester white box, FMJ 230 GRN, and Lawmen FMJ 230 GRN
    and the manager used Blazers in FMJ 230 GRN and all three had the same issues, so lesson learned thanks for the comments!!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Like you said, give Kahr a chance to sort it out. It may be something simple like a slide stop or an extractor problem. As to the email, I don't count on replies (some sites get so many emails they will never get through them all). I'd suggest a telephone call.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Well I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. I hope they make it right for you.

Let us know what you find out. And don't forget to run it wet.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I bought a Kahr CW9, new, eight months ago. After the initial break-in period it's been very reliable with WWB, Speer Gold Dot, etc. and unreliable with some other brands... except when the gun itself breaks. It's been serviced by Kahr under warranty 4 times already. Kahr service has been great, but this isn't what I expected after reading so many positive reports.

Thanks for all the positive feed back, 4 times off to Kahr really!! I have to say that dosen't make me feel all fuzzy and warm inside.
    And yes a call is in order, will be on my list to do for the AM. My gut feeling is that I see a Sig P220 in single action in my near future if Kahr can't make things rite. They are priced the exact same in my local shop, and after speaking with the shop manager they get 1 chance for that weapon to stay in the fold, he agreed and he is trying to do the best he can, on the behalf of the shop.

Were both mags giving the same prolems? Does the P45 have a metal mag release? My PM does. I know initially the plastic mag release was an issue on the PM series in .45.

Kahr will try to make it right for you.

I never understood a brake in period for any Pistol mfg's product.
    I never had to brake in Sig, XD, or Glock!
    It behoves me to purchase any gun that needs braking in.
    Let the factory brake it in, or supply the 200-500 rounds
    to do so on there dime.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
    I'd suggest a telephone call.
    Hah! On hold for 15 minutes before getting a fast busy signal.

They eventually replied to my emails, but replies were slow in coming. Never acknowledged receipt of my pistol (PM9) that I had to ship to the factory at my expense ($40.00). They did polish the feed ramp and return the pistol to me within a couple of weeks.

I to own the very hand guns mentioned above, Sig in P229, SA XD 4"service 45acp, and Glock in 23C, with out any hicups, and now a Kahr with nothing but trouble, hummmm it wont find a place on my CCW or safe for that matter any time soon!! I have plans on giving it back to the shop I purchased it from and go with a SIG 220 in single action, sweet and super reliable!! rite out of the box, funny I don't recall them asking me for a 200rd brake in hmmmm go figure. and have a call in with them voice msg and Two e mails, customer service my A$$ dont plan on supporting such a poor performer, its my belief that money is only good for the xechange for good's and services and to that end I am receiving neither!!

I had a Kahr P9 that would occasionally balk every 40 - 50 rounds. After the 200 round mark it became reliable. So I would agree with you that you got a lemon. Sixto is right about the 9mm Kahrs being more reliable on the whole than the other Kahrs in different calibers. If it comes back still with problems, then get rid of it!
    God bless our troops!

my pm9 was junk. traded it in on a glock 26. a little thicker than the kahr but a more reliable carry gun. 300 rounds out of the box, no cleaning and not one problem. shot speer gold dot 147, winchester white box 115, remington umc 115, ranger 147, and federal classic 115. not one problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links