Differences of Kahr tp9 to others

This is a discussion on Differences of Kahr tp9 to others within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've done some research on this...and yes tried the search button. I've learned a decent amount on specs, but when I specifically search for threads ...

Thread: Differences of Kahr tp9 to others

Differences of Kahr tp9 to others

I've done some research on this...and yes tried the search button. I've learned a decent amount on specs, but when I specifically search for threads on the tp9, there simply isn't much out there!

So for those of you that have experience in comparing the tp9 to other similar weapons, I'd like to hear your input.

Here's my particular needs. Need a first ccw. I was looking at the PM9, but its too small for my hand and in the back of my mind a longer barrel is something I'd like. 4" was a bit long, so I thought, but having this weapon in my hand (the tp9) it actually changed my mind. Its just slim enough to ccw and fits my hand well. 9mm is a must. I've considered the xd sc and the walther pps at one point in my research too. I've played with others too, but i like the slimmer profiles and really don't want to get beyond an inch really (the XD was beyond that). Capacity is a plus, but if I can't rely on 6-7 rounds...i'm in trouble anyway, so its not too big a deal for me. I will be carrying IWB....probably close to 3 o'clock as thats how I carry on duty.

I'm noticing there are alot of Kahrs out there, but with very slight differences. The MK was also another I had in my hand and I didn't like it's chunky feel compared to the TP9. But the dealer I went to didn't have much more selection for Kahr. So I'm thinking maybe there's a similar version to the tp9 that might be a little better.

I haven't shot the tp9 yet, which will obviously happen soon, but maybe feedback on any better/smoother similar 9mm would be appreciated. Any thoughts?

Sorry, I realize my questions are all over the place. I'm hopefully thinking someone has some actual experience/opinions in comparing the tp9 to others in its class.

2. Remove Ads

Look at the Kahr P9. I carry it daily and have found that it fits me perfectly. Everyone has different preferences. For me it is light and very slim. It's easy to carry IWB. Funny though in the near past I have found myself enjoying OWB much more. My P9 has been exceptional. Never FTF or FTE. Personally I would reccommend the P9 for sure.

hmmm, seems like the only real difference is the 1/2 on the barrel.....and of course corresponding slight differences and height and weight (negligible IMO because in my hand it works, and the TP didn't seem too intrusive in the waist). Thanks for the suggestion in pointing out the p9 though. What about other Kahr models similar in model number and stats. Or even other suggestions. I'll soak it in before making a decision :-)

I liked my TP9. It was reliable, adquately accurate, light and pleasant to shoot. If I remember correctly, I bought an IWB holster from Tucker...
    Only reason I sold it was because I never could get used to the idea of not having some sort of manual safety. ( To each , his own)
    I eventually ended up with an H&K P7.
    I have no complaints about the TP9.....fwiw. mike

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I don't know what kind of grip the T9 has on it but before you commit to it, I'd seriously try to get my hands on the K9. The MK series all have hard plastic grips. BUT, the K9 has a hogue softer grip. I don't think it would grab clothes at all but it FEELS SO GOOD compared to any of the MK grips. If the T9 is made of the same thing, if not, I would stick with the K9, in an all black format with night sights. I don't think the accuracy difference will be much between the two.

I went through a similar search for a small 9mm semi-auto last year. After trying lots of guns, including the Kahr PM9 and Walther PPS, I bought a Kahr CW9.

I like this gun a lot, but in it's first eight months of life it's been back to Kahr for warranty repair four times.

I've decided I can't count on it for self defense, so while looking for a different, small 9mm to try I've been experimenting with my full-size gun.

It turns out that, for me, a Springfield XD-45 4" Service pistol in a Comp-Tac M-TAC holster IWB at 3:30 conceals and carries very well...

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Nothing at all wrong with the TP9 as a CCW. It has a longer grip and will prove a bit harder to conceal, but certainly not difficult. It is about the same size as a HK P7. You may have a really hard time finding holsters for it. You give up little in accuracy by going with the much more popular P9, and you can always use the longer 8 round magazine if you wish.

yeah, researching holsters for it now. any thoughts on that as well?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MavZ28 View Post
    One place to start is Galco... they make several.
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

I can tell you that shooting the TP45 is a real pussycat to shoot, so the TP9 ought to be a hoot (easy and fun).
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by MavZ28 View Post
    Tucker makes a tuckable IWB , I think ??

Links