P226 or G20?

P226 or G20?

This is a discussion on P226 or G20? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am getting a new gun but can't make my mind up. It is down to the P226 Blackwater Tactical or the G20SF. I really ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P226 or G20?

P226 or G20?

I am getting a new gun but can't make my mind up. It is down to the P226 Blackwater Tactical or the G20SF. I really like how nice the Sig is. I don't own one yet and want one. I also like the 10mm G20SF. I've heard nothing but good things about the 10mm. The only thing keeping me from making my mind up is the Sig will be $1134 and the Glock will be $470. So what do you guys think?

Well, the 10mm ammo is about two to three times the cost of 9mm.
    But, the difference in price in guns would let you buy plenty of ammo and mags.
    What do you want to do with the new gun or is it just a new gun, something to have?
    I have been wanting the 20sf for awhile now but if didnt have a 9mm already, I would want the 226. Sigs ARE nice but....a 10mm would be pretty cool too.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

I'm going to try which ever one I get as a carry gun of course. I've just never carried a full size before.

easy.
    g20sf
    its a glock. . . . .no other reason needed :)

10mm Hornady XTP 180grain, 1180FPS, 556ft/lbs, 15+1rds in G20SF

9mm Hornady XTP 124grain, 1110FPS, 339ft/lbs, 15+1rds in P226BT

As long as you're comfortable with the recoil and ammo price, I believe the choice is obvious
    GUN CONTROL IS USING BOTH HANDS

I believe its a shoulder thing that goes up - Carolyn McCarthy (D)

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says go away in every language.
    -Clint Smith

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mutumbo View Post
    easy.
    g20sf
    its a glock. . . . .no other reason needed :)

Typical glockhead response.

From a Sig owner, both guns are very good and reliable. The 10mm is a more powerful .40 S&W basically (actually the .40 S&W is a less powerful 10mm). The Sig comes with a few different trigger and caliber options. I really like the DAK. In function, it's the closest you'll get to the glock...point and shoot. The DAK has a really smooth trigger pull. It also has an alloy frame vice polymer, so it will weight a bit more, but you also get the option of different grips. I don't like plastic guns, but don't let that influence your decision. Shoot both and see what fits you better and shoots best for you. Glocks and Sigs have different grip angles, and some people think Glocks shoot high, some people think Sigs shoot low. You really won't know which is right for you until you shoot it.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Def shoot them both if you have the opportunity. I am not sure about the 226 but the 20 is a fairly big gun. I know some people on here conceal the 20/21 but I don't think I would enjoy concealing my g21 too much and the few times I have tried it seems to stick out quite a bit (and it is a lot colder up here with more clothes than TX). I like the 19 and the 229 sig for carry much better.
    Maybe you could just get a regular 226 and the 20sf?!? Problem solved
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

I probably won't get the chance to shoot this 226 every shop I've talked to never had any and will take 8-10 weeks to get one in IF I ORDER IT. So I would need to pay in full for one. I should try to find a G20 to shoot and see if I fall in love with it.

Lead Moderator
    Gotta ask, is there some reason for the Blackwater Tactical model? You could save some coin with a "regular" 226, and have the same quality.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Gotta ask, is there some reason for the Blackwater Tactical model? You could save some coin with a "regular" 226, and have the same quality.
    I found my 226. used, in really good shape, for $425....there are some deals to be had....a lot of police turn ins on the 9mm 226....great gun, you just need the right holster....and as many on this forum will tell you, it may take a while to find just the right holster..
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

10 mm is obviously a heavier duty round in "stopping power" if that exists. However the g20 is a BIG GUN. The p226 is also a pretty good size gun...but it is 9mm...definitely different than the 10mm. They are definitely both quality guns and will not disappoint you. Don't realy blame you wanting a Blackwater model its ok to want something a little different. Have you looked at a G29 SF? kind of a best of both worlds.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Sig. no doubt

I would not go with a 10mm regaurdless of brand due to media/legal perception of the round. There is just enough "bad" out there abou it being "to" powerfull. I personally do NOT agree.

I would stick with a caliber that LEO's use, I would even stick with ammo that they use. If you were ever in court due to having to discharge your weapon out of self defense it will be MUCH easier to NOT look like a vigilante when you are using a "common" defense round vs. an oddball with "bad" reputation.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

another vote for the G29 here
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    10 mm is obviously a heavier duty round in "stopping power" if that exists. However the g20 is a BIG GUN. The p226 is also a pretty good size gun...but it is 9mm...definitely different than the 10mm. They are definitely both quality guns and will not disappoint you. Don't realy blame you wanting a Blackwater model its ok to want something a little different. Have you looked at a G29 SF? kind of a best of both worlds.
    The P226 also comes in .40S&W and .357Sig. The .40 isn't a whole lot different.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links