25 ACP vs. 22LR

This is a discussion on 25 ACP vs. 22LR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i got a beretta jetfire 950 and two 21 bobcat. the 25 acp has never given me any problems. it will shoot any and all ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 25 ACP vs. 22LR

i got a beretta jetfire 950 and two 21 bobcat. the 25 acp has never given me any problems. it will shoot any and all brands of ammo. it even shoots my reloads. yes, i do reload 25 acp. i can make some hot loads. now for the 21 bobcats. two guns from the same company in the same cal and they shoot different from each other. both guns are funny on what ammo they like. but after i found what ammo they liked, they never gave me any more problems. also they do not like a full mag. load them one round short and all is ok. it is the same with any and all mags for the two guns.

be happy that your wife is carrying a gun, no matter the size, make and cal. just have her to be the best with what she is carrying. i do not see anything wrong with either gun. i carried the 25 acp while on the job in the florida keys in the 80's as my "bug" and as the only gun while doing uc work. hard to hide a big gun in shorts and t-shirt while on a boat.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    She hates shooting my J-Frame revolver and my Glock 27, but loves the Sig 229 (in .40). I was thinking about getting her a Sig 239 in 9mm, but it is probably still too big, and we don't need another gun sitting in the safe :-)
    why is the 239 "too big?" For that matter, what's wrong with her carrying the 229? If she doesn't like the Glock 27 why not have her try the 26?

To steal a quote from a member on another forum: "pocket pistols (.22 up through .380) basically just allow you to inflict a penetrating wound at range...kind of like shanking someone with an icepick from accross the room.
    Maybe you should sit her down and explain that just because it's easy to carry doesn't mean that it's a good choice for defense.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

My 21A didn't like the CCI stingers-I always thought because the case was too long. I never had a misfire with the mini-mags though. Any one else? The case is shorter.

Ballisticly they look pretty similar. The 25acp looks to be ever so slightly better, but the 22lr appears to tumble after impact.

Walther P22 with 3.4" barrel:
    Walther P22 versus ballistic gelatin block

Beretta 21a with 2.4" barrel:
    Various .25ACP loads

I like the 22lr because of the cheap cost of practice ammo. My 2008 model P22 has shot close to a 1000 rounds without a single failure.

When I get my CHL, I'll carry my M&P40c, but if I had to carry the P22 I'd feel perfectly safe with it.

My wife has a Beretta Cheeta in .380. She likes it. It is easy for her to shoot. It goes bang every time. It is loaded with Gold Dots. It is light and compact. Light recoil. It conceals well too. I carried it last night to a formal dinner. It is no .45 but with modern ammo it is no slouch either. Sure beats not having anything.

Have your wife shoot and carry what she is comfortable with. That way she will be proficant with it and carry it.
    I tried a lot of guns on my wife. Learned the hard way.

Semper Fi

I got rid of my 25 for a 22. The 25 jammed all the time and the ammo cost too much.
    I would not carry anything smaller that a 380.

I consider them to be in the same "stopping power" class. No way I'd pay the extra for .25. .22 and practice the heck out of it because she could afford to.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

aguila SSS

They make a 60 grain bullet on a 22 short case that will still do over 1000 fps. I use that in my bobcat 21 and have had no problem. I can maintain a 6 in group at 20 ft with stock sites. Adding a crimson trace grip to it makes it even better. (the stock sites stink).

Just food for thought.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

INteresting thread here. I'm inheriting several Baby Brownings (like 4) from my father. I was thinking of adding two to my Bug-Out-Bag. Does any of you think I should keep them or should I sell to get a another...... maybe a 380? How are the Baby Brownings.

They're 25acp but after reading through this thread I'm having a few second thoughts.

One of the baby browings was carried by his Mother (my grandma) it's chromed out.

I would think 25 over 22lr.....but I know little about these calibers....but this thread is helping me learn.

Administrator
    Hold on to them Frogbones. They are getting even more collectible year by year.

Anybody ever see the solid turned brass deep hollowpoint bullet .25acp or the .25 with the hollowpoint capped off with a ball of Lead Shot?

Don't think either one is being made anymore.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Hold on to them Frogbones. They are getting even more collectible year by year.

Really? In that case I'll keep them in thier respective boxes and store.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    why is the 239 "too big?" For that matter, what's wrong with her carrying the 229? If she doesn't like the Glock 27 why not have her try the 26?
    A lot of it is perception, but then its also about not wearing a belt. The Bobcat fits nicely in one of these "belly wrap" style holsters. The Glock 27 will not fit it securely and the 26 would have the same problem (so does the sig 239, which is about the same size but heavier).

I am getting too far off topic here :-). I think the solution to the holster problem is to take her to a gun show so she can try a lot of different holsters.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Will the 60 grain bullet do 1000 fps from a sub-2-inch barrel?

The little Browning Baby gives very reliable function.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Will the 60 grain bullet do 1000 fps from a sub-2-inch barrel?

The little Browning Baby gives very reliable function.
    Aquila says it needs a 9:1 twist and is rifle ammo, not recommended for pistols and gets 950fps from a rifle. If it did feed in a pistol OK then the actual speed would drop. I'm guessing it would be less stable and keyhole a lot from a short barrel. An interesting round to be sure.

Get yourself a good .380. My wife loved my old Walther PPK and shot like a champ with it. The new Ruger LCP I hear is good too. But make like it's for you (a bug), then let her "try" it out while you're at the range. I'll bet she asks to keep it. .380's are still a little under powered but a damn sight better than .22 or .25!
    Just IMHO
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links