25 ACP vs. 22LR

This is a discussion on 25 ACP vs. 22LR within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen this discussion before, and was wondering if someone can help me out on this: Which bullet is better for concealed carry: 25ACP ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 25 ACP vs. 22LR

25 ACP vs. 22LR

I have seen this discussion before, and was wondering if someone can help me out on this:

Which bullet is better for concealed carry: 25ACP or 22LR. I know neither is considered "adequate".

But here is my back-story to this question: My wife just loves her Berretta Bobcat. She actually shoots decent groups with it out to 10 yds. Originally, she got the 25 version, in part due to a mess up at the gun store (she wanted the .22LR). Recently, she got the 22LR mostly for cheaper training. .25cal bullets cost almost as much as my .40s. . But I keep reading that the 22LR has actually better ballistics/stopping power then the .25? Any truth to that? What is good 22LR self defense ammo.

(and how can I get her to carry a "real gun"? :-( . The nice thing about the Berretta is that she carries it all the time. I personally don't like the gun and think it is cheaply made, not 100% reliable. But well, it works for her).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Any center fire round is inherently more reliable than a rimfire round. This due to method of ignition.

I would carry the .25 ACP and try to get her to try a .32ACP

I would buy a Tomcat and see if she likes it, if she doesn't then you've still got another gun.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I second pgrass101 - the 25 ACP is more reliable regarding feeding and functioning. So, if you're trying to shoot with a little tiny bullet, might as well have the one that's more likely to go "bang."

I respectfully disagree;
    There is "Match grade" rimfire that is just as reliable as centerfire rounds.

I, myself, sold a .25 bobcat to buy a .22 bobcat purely because of the less expensive training. And I'm glad I did.

I had the .25 for two years and shot it a total of 4 times. (one box each trip)

In the first month I had the .22 I put more than 200 rounds down the pipe, and my groups tightened up quite nicely.

As far as ballistics go... let's not put lipstick on a pig... neither should be "plan A"... and ""stepping up"" to a .32 or even a .380 isn't really much of a step. (sure, they're better than a 22/25, but still a weak little choice)
    When possible, I carry a .45. But when I can't, I like knowing that I can hit exactly where I aim with the little ""mouse gun"" in my pocket. And unless your quite abnormal... that only comes from a lot of practice.

There's a site called rimfirecentral that has a lot of good info about reliable rimfire ammo. I'll send you an IM with some specific info.
    Heisenberg may have slept here

I'm with Fozzy on this one, I never consider carrying a .25
    To many good match grade .22"s available to trust my
    life with a .25
    Thats just MHO.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I say stay with the .25 because the ".22lr" does in fact stand for
    22 long rifle and the ammo loses about 25% to 40% of its
    energy when fired from a mouse gun because there is no
    time to burn all the powder.IE the powder burns too slow.
    The 25 ammo is faster burning and made to fire from a short gun
    and will give you better energy numbers and reliability.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I respectfully disagree;
    There is "Match grade" rimfire that is just as reliable as centerfire rounds.
    Could you please share with us this brand of ammo. I shoot a great deal of .22lr, both bulk crap and quality match grade. I see misfires in all brands. CCI is the best, but all miss sometimes.

A .25acp pistol in good condition, that is, one that delivers a good primer strike, is without question, more reliable than a rimfire.

Administrator
    If you get any misfires with these rimfire (below) then have your firearm checked.

Lapua Midas-L

Federal Gold Medal

Eley TENEX & Club Extra

Fiocchi Exacta Super Match Grade

CCI Competition Green

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Could you please share with us this brand of ammo. I shoot a great deal of .22lr, both bulk crap and quality match grade. I see misfires in all brands. CCI is the best, but all miss sometimes.

A .25acp pistol in good condition, that is, one that delivers a good primer strike, is without question, more reliable than a rimfire.
    Fiocchi Exacta
    CCI Pistol Match
    Aquila Match Rifle
    Lapua Match
    Remington Eley
    CCI Stingers
    Rapters
    Just to name a few.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I agree with the .22 use CCI STINGERS 1640fps so out of 3 inch barrel ought to get 1000fps & you got a hammer is a + /My inexspensive HP22 gose bang every time so .22 IMO

In my view, due to dimensional configurations, the .25 ACP feeds better than does the .22 Long Rifle which will always be hampered a mite by it's rim and length.

I hope no one will get on here quoting rifle ballistics for the .22 Long Rifle in an effort to show how much more powerful it is than the .25 ACP because it isn't. It's one thing to clock .22 Long Rifle ammo from a rifle barrel or even a six inch handgun barrel but another to test the tiny pistols. From a stub barreled pocket automatic the .22 Long Rifle is weenie in the extreme ... but then so is .25 ACP. That said, if choosing between the two I'm going to say the .25 ACP has a SLIGHT edge due to more bullet weight and larger diameter. Penetration is the same. Splitting hairs over the relative power of these rounds, as used in pocket automatics, is actually akin to arguing over how many spirits can dance on the head of a pin.
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; February 6th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.
    Cuda66 likes this.

Is your wife recoil sensitive? My wife carries an ultralite Taurus 38 special. It kicks like a mule because it's lightweight but then it's not a range gun anyway. I would try to get her, your wife, up to a .380 or 9mm or 38 special. With most people it's a matter of getting comfortable with a 22 then as recoil senstivity adjust moving up the ladder.

Look for a small revolver in 32 caliber. Taurus makes one chambered for the 32 magnum. Charter has one in the new 327 magnum cartridge and it will also fire 32hr mag and 32 sw longs, its a huge improvement over a 22 or 25 and should be easy to handle.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    Is your wife recoil sensitive? My wife carries an ultralite Taurus 38 special. It kicks like a mule because it's lightweight but then it's not a range gun anyway. I would try to get her, your wife, up to a .380 or 9mm or 38 special. With most people it's a matter of getting comfortable with a 22 then as recoil senstivity adjust moving up the ladder.
    She hates shooting my J-Frame revolver and my Glock 27, but loves the Sig 229 (in .40). I was thinking about getting her a Sig 239 in 9mm, but it is probably still too big, and we don't need another gun sitting in the safe :-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    ....... and we don't need another gun sitting in the safe :-)

heresy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links