Para Warthog good or bad?

This is a discussion on Para Warthog good or bad? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I keep getting mixed reviews about the Warthog's reliability and build quality so I thought I'd start another thread. I already know my hand is ...

Thread: Para Warthog good or bad?

Para Warthog good or bad?

I keep getting mixed reviews about the Warthog's reliability and build quality so I thought I'd start another thread.

I already know my hand is big enough to fit one just fine, what I want to know is if it is a good buy as far as reliablitly and build quality.

So to those of you who own or have owned one, what do you think?

Adam

2. Remove Ads

I don't have a Warthog, but recently got a Para PDA in 9mm. I'm still validating the gun for carry, but so far after 200 rounds not one jam, failure to feed, or failure to eject. The LDA trigger is really nice.

The complaints I've read about Para seem to focus on the black finish wearing off and the ejector breaking in the early stages of use. I don't have any first-hand experience with either to tell about.

I've also read Para Ordinance stands by their guns for life, which is really nice to know!
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

Howdy!

I have two Warthogs. That should tell ya something. One I keep by the bedside with a laser on it just in case the BDs come in after dark. The other I carry constantly...I mean 95+% of the time. I fire them about once a month and in three years have only had one jam. Yeah, one is enough, but I've heard worse statistics for "better" models.

All I can say is I'm sold.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot....before Para started making the whole gun, they used to sell a kit ....Frame, springs, mags, ect. to convert your own .45 to a 13rounder. I bought one of these and that gun has been used occasionly over the last 20 or so (more like 30) years with no problems.

Hope that this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Howdy!

I have two Warthogs. That should tell ya something. One I keep by the bedside with a laser on it just in case the BDs come in after dark. The other I carry constantly...I mean 95+% of the time. I fire them about once a month and in three years have only had one jam. Yeah, one is enough, but I've heard worse statistics for "better" models.

All I can say is I'm sold.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot....before Para started making the whole gun, they used to sell a kit ....Frame, springs, mags, ect. to convert your own .45 to a 13rounder. I bought one of these and that gun has been used occasionly over the last 20 or so (more like 30) years with no problems.

Hope that this helps.
    what about the finish? i really like the look of the regal look with the stainless controls. but for that money, the finish should be very durable.

Mine jammed all the time and I could not get over it, so I sold it. Maybe I didnt give it a chance to break it in!!
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Got holster wear at the front end, but nothing spectacular. It's holding up really well.

JD
    Administrator
    Had a Para Nitehawg, first run. The gun ran fine, but the finish was crap. One thing I didn't like was the weight distribution of the gun, with the heavier grip the bbl. needs to be longer IMHO. A better holster would have helped that out, every time I undid my pants the rig wanted to upend.

The one thing I don't like about the double stack Paras is the cost of the mags. $49.99 on average.

I just bought a ss para warthog. I have not taken it to the range yet, but I already have a Para Carry 9 that I use as my CCW. It has performed perfectly for over 1000 rounds.

I have a para p12.45 and I have to say that it's awesome. I haven't had one problem with over 1400 rounds through it. I will be purchasing from para again in the near future (hopefully).

Links