Defensive Carry banner

Help me pick my next gun.

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  rocky 
#1 ·
Well, the taxes are coming in the next few days....

I'm not going to be in a position to purchase a firearm for at least the next 6 months due to new employment with frequent relocations.

I think I should buy something before I leave.

I really need to "bite the bullet" and get a .22. I'm very comfortable with my two guns for CCW, but they're expensive to shoot. .22 solves that well.

I'm thinking a target style .22 and a revolver is a remote possibility.

Of course, I can't currently afford anything more than say $200, but many .22s are quite cheap.

Help me out.

#2 ·
I have debated this myself. I decided I'm getting either a CZ Kadet kit rather than a dedicated .22, or a Smith and Wesson Kit Gun.

I really don't like the prospect of .22 caliber semiautos although I think they're neat and they make some good ones. Semiautos can't shoot shorts or subsonics or anything truly useful like that. I like my Rossi 518, I just want an upgraded version of that.

The only reason I like the idea of the CZ kit is that by reptuation it works very well, I don't really want or need a super accurate target pistol, and it is more compact to store and easier to take down and clean. It's also cheaper than a new gun. If you don't have a CZ to use the kit on, the CZ Kadet (The gun) is reasonably priced.

#3 ·
Jar, I'm thinking along the same lines. I'm probably going to pick up something in a .22 just for range fun and the cheap cost of shooting it. Haven't made my mind yet as to whether to go the semi or the revolver route, but I'm starting to lean towards the revolver. :35:

#5 ·
Yep - a 22/45 would be great - and if you look you may find one used for a fair price. Gunbroker, GA etc.

Also - if you dig revo's and SA - then look out too for an earlier Single Six - the one you have to carry on empty chamber. They are around and altho for me awful slow to load/reload - very fun guns and pleasant to handle.

I went a bit mad back a ways and got the newer version - but feel is same. Oh and a K22 Smith is very nice but - it'd be too spendy i think.

#6 ·
Yo Chris, not to go off topic but do you have any shots of your photo set up, a behind the scenes look per'se. I have really been enjoying your light and composition, at first I wasn't a fan of the background color, but it has grown on me and I realised the subdued tone was not distracting from the main subject.

I ask because I'd like to do some shots of my own, but I don't have much for equipment. So I'm wondering if you have a pro setup or a more homegrown technique.

#8 ·
WP - My set up! LOL - simple ain't in it really. Embarrassingly so!!

I experimented with many background colors and settled on the red fleece. Nothing else seemed to work so well - plus a smidgeon I guess of the ''royal'' or ''plush'' feel induced by it.

I do utilize the benefits of a ''light tent'' - no more than draped white sheet to diffuse light sources. I have three but often only use two.

The camera helps too a bit - I can set manual white balance to suit tungsten lighting and - change settings a bit for contrast and saturation etc - sometimes useful.

The fabric is draped over some computer gear - very makeshift in some ways - and the camera lives on a tripod most of time so - at the ready! I can take a pic, tweak it in image app and have it on the web in 15 to 20 minutes sometimes - oh three cheers for digital!! :smile:

I'll take a pic (post soon) - but be prepared - it is basic as all get out - but it works OK. So don't expect to see any fancy studio gear!!

#9 ·
World Pax -

(Apologies to others for this bit of further thread vere! :wink:)

OK - quick shot with spare camera. This stuff is all just along from my main puter work station and as obvious - a ''lash-up''.

I can sometimes lay out the fleece bigger if needed but it is very basic. Ideally if I did not have so much stuff going on in office and beyond, I'd make up a more permanent and better set up. But it works reasonably and so - it stays most of time. I can move lights sometimes if required - they are on in the pic. Big discrepancy here between upper and lower of pic - flash didn't help so - this is a ''snapshot'' no more.

Tripod allows use of F11 and whatever shutter speed is needed - usually 1 to 2 seconds depending.

There is clutter everywhere - thus a bit embarrassing but hey - you asked!!!

#10 ·
Thanks for that! Don't be embarassed about that setup, it's the results that count. I've always been better with the action shots, but my results shooting still-life have been sub-par. Having a look at your setup has been very helpful and informative. It also shows that you don't have to have the most professional equipment to get good results. Just a little imagination and a good eye.

Maybe you can split these posts into a new thread. Then others can post their tips and tricks.

#12 ·
Conversion is Good!

I have a number of 1911's and recently purchased a Marvel .22 conversion. Really sweet unit that is very accurate and a nice supplement to the .45's. I have burned about 2500 rounds through the conversion and consider it one of the best purchases I have ever made.

Irighti

#13 ·
I'm also planning on picking up a .22 soon. I'm more interested in a semiauto, and as such am not too familiar with the revo options. In general, I'd go with whatever balances, points and fits your hand the best. As for barrel length, I'd go with whatever balances best. The long barrels (6-7"+) offer a longer sight radius, but otherwise are no more accurate than their shorter brethren. If you plan to mount a scope, the sight radius won't matter. Many target shooters go with a barrel in the 5-6" range topped with a scope.

So far I've considered the Browning Buck Mark, Ruger Mark II/III or 22/45, Beretta NEOS, Sig Trailside, or S&W 22A. All but the Sig can be had in many configurations, some relatively inexpensive.

The Browning fits my hand almost perfectly - this is probably what I'll go with. Field stripping is easy, but not as easy as the Beretta or Smith. Requires a screwdriver. Field stripping involves removing the rear sight, but supposedly it doesn't NEED to be re-zeroed each time. I've generally heard good things about reliability and accuracy with this gun.

The Ruger models don't feel as good in hand, to me. Maybe a different set of grips? Every time I've heard this gun mentioned, the difficulty of reassembling it has come up - those who have worked with them for a while say you get the hang of it eventually, but it definitely takes some practice to get proficient. I actually heard one shooter say that he sends his to his son to reassemble!

The Mark III has a magazine disconnect, a loaded chamber indicator, and an internal locking mechanism which works via the manual safety. Purists seem to prefer the Mark II, which does'nt have these safety features. There may still be some Mark II's NIB, but it's my understanding that Ruger has discontinued these (they're still listed on the Ruger website). The 22/45 has a grip molded to resemble the angle and feel of the 1911 grip, and the magazine release is located similarly to the 1911. I've generally heard good things about accuracy and reliability with Rugers.

The Smith has a very blocky grip - too big for my hands. Along with the Beretta, this is one of the easiest of the bunch to disassemble for cleaning. I haven't heard good things about the reliability of this model. I haven't looked into it very much due to the grip.

I haven't handled the Sig/Hammerli. Supposedly, it is the most consistently accurate of the bunch out of the box - Sig won't let them out the door if they don't group well at the factory. The test target/group is included with the pistol. The frame and barrel are all one piece - so no switching barrels later. I've heard RUMORS that Sig won't be distributing these much longer, so as not to distract from their own 22's.

Hope this helps.

#14 ·
Can't go wrong with a Ruger Super Single Six with the sp barrel for 22 WMR. I've seen 'em at gunshows for about $170. Great "truck" gun. Extremely accurate.

Myself, I'm thinking about getting a 1911 conversion from Kimber for that 17 Mach 2.

#16 ·
DirksterG30 said:
Jarhead,

What guns do you have for CCW? You might be able to get a .22 conversion kit for around that price.
Well, I have a Bersa .380. There is no .22 conversion for it. It comes in .22,though. Will cost about $200.

I have a Taurus PT 24/7. Haven't heard of a conversion kit for it either.

I'm really leaning toward a target style gun so I can have lots of fun. I like marksmanship style stuff, so I'll probably go with something like that. I just gotta get to the gun store.

#18 ·
I'm going to second the opinion that a Ruger 22/45 is a great pistol. I have a 22/45 Mark III, and I want to pick up an older 22/45, and then scope the Mark III :)

But I'd rather shoot my 22/45 then my HK... it's more controllable, and far more accurate :)

--Jim

#20 ·
The Rugers are nice for .22's. I like my Browning Buckmark too. Nice accurate gun for an affordable price. The single action gun is fun too, but I can't get as accurate with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.