Taurus snubbies?

This is a discussion on Taurus snubbies? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I looked at a taurus centennial syle .357 magnum snubby today an liked it quite a bit. It had a nice fit/finish and surprisingly nice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus snubbies?

Taurus snubbies?

I looked at a taurus centennial syle .357 magnum snubby today an liked it quite a bit. It had a nice fit/finish and surprisingly nice DAO trigger pull. I think they call this model CIA or something like that. Is there anything to look out for when doing a pre purchase inspection on these guns?

2. Remove Ads

I don't expect to be owning any Taurus guns personally. The ones I've handled seemed rough and gritty. My brother-in-law smoothed out his Taurus .357 snub though. I don't recall the model number but it's the one configured like a Smith & Wesson Model 19. He put snap caps in it and lubed it up well then spent a weekend dry firing it. I'd handled it on Friday and was back over there on Monday. It was a different revolver and quite nice. I suppose this could work if one didn't want to spend fund on a gunsmith action job.

You've already handled it enough to know that the DA trigger pull is suitable. Other than an inspection for any obvious visible flaws, you could check the barrel/cylinder gap. Many feel that .004 to .006 is optimal. You don't really need it to be larger than .010 starting out with a new revolver.

I have the 605, and frequently carry it. Accurate, and very reliable. The blued finish is actually nice, and has survived a lot of handling.
    Last edited by swiftyjuan; February 7th, 2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I have a 85UL .38 like it just fine.
    Its not a S&W but it does what its intended to do,
    BUG for G23
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I have had 2 Taurus snubbys. Both were M85s. The 85 SS CH would misfire at times. I sent it back at least 3 times, also to Teddy Jacobson, and finally went through nearly a year of attempting to get a replacement from the factory. I finally did and sold it without ever firing it.

The problems I had caused me to not want another. For a little more I bought Smiths and have been happy.

Regards,
    Jerry

I have a steel 85 and an alloy 851. I like the trigger on the 85 better, but it's 12 years old and fully broken in. Both work well, with no failures and no warranty work. I carry the 851 daily and have no doubts it will work when needed.

I have a model 85 UL and am very happy with it.200 rounds through it with nary a problem.

Of the 3 Taurus revolvers I've owned, all have had better triggers than than had a right to and all were accurate and functioned perfectly. In fact, this afternoon we were out back shooting my wife's christmas gift, a 905 DAO with pink Crimson Trace grips. It was accurate, had no failures, and she loved it. I've got no issues with Taurus revolvers.

If the gun you're looking at is new and the price is right I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I had an 850 CIA (lost it in a divorce) and it was a great gun with a much better trigger than the S&W 642 I also owned at the time.

I like the taurus a lot also have not heard anything about the taurus locks causing issues like the S&W lock have. I've even read and heard that the taurus ILS is a much better design than the S&W ones are,can anyone here confirm this?

1911luver your PM box is full, i can do tomorrow.

MODS sorry for the spamming
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member
    Taurus make a decent revolver. I have two with zero problems.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

My Smith's will not allow me to buy Taurus revolvers. They are good looking, but I've heard too many QC issues. The prices on the S&W's are not much more and you're getting more for your money.
    Wreck'em Tech! Go Red Raiders!

I have the Signess!

Sig Sauer P225 Montage Suisse / Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P226 9mm CPO / S&W M&P9c

On that same note new smiths aren't all that spectacular anymore. I had a taurus 44mag that locked up nice and tight and had a great trigger. I go by that gun in hand, not that brand on the side.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I've owned several Taurus revolvers and auto pistols over the years and have had great service from them. The best thing to do is check out the one you intend to buy before buying it. Some Taurus's have better triggers than others and some work more smoothly than others.
    God & Guns!

My edc has become a Taurus 850CIA ultralight. I have had no problems with it and it shoots very well. In fact the trigger is smoother than a 442 that I tried out. I would not hesitate to recommend it for CC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links