Am I just a fickle Freddie?

This is a discussion on Am I just a fickle Freddie? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I enjoy many different guns and I want to carry them all. So most of the time I carry my P2k but often have a ...

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

I enjoy many different guns and I want to carry them all. So most of the time I carry my P2k but often have a Commander, or a BHP, or a Sig.
    Oh I practice regularly with all of them but sometimes I feel as if I'm in college and can't make up my mind which girl I want to take out.

At LFI Mas admitted he likes to carry a bit of everything so I guess I'm in good company.

I enjoy many different guns and I want to carry them all.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm the same way. I have found though that range sessions are more productive if I limit my practice to one or two guns per session.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Ditto!! I sometimes think I'd be better off if I just kept 2 guns ea in 2 calibers and stopped! I have quite a few different guns and like them all so switch a lot. I'm not as bad as I used to be and pretty much stick to my Colt New Agent but sometimes I wished I had 2 revolvers in .38/.357 and 2 autos in 9mm and just had them. It would save me a lot of money and time.

I also have started limiting what I take to the range. I used to make 5 trips to load up the car missing long guns, 5 or 6 hand guns, etc. I found myself hurrying, not enjoying myself as much, and feeling like I had to rush and get through it.

Now I normally take any 2 guns plus I always take my P22 just to have some cheap fun. I enjoy it a LOT better and it's less hassle and I'm more likely to clean my 2 or 3 guns as soon as I get home.

I have lots of different guns,but I try to stick with just one EDC,right now It's a compact 1911 45 but as soon as my M&P 45c gets here and I put it thru it's paces then I will switch to it,I also carry a Keltec P-11 9mm for when I need a smaller gun or BUG which is pretty rare.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    At LFI Mas admitted he likes to carry a bit of everything so I guess I'm in good company.
    +1. I pretty much carry whatever fits the bill for the day.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I am the same way.But I have narrowed my primary carry guns to (2) My Colt 1911 and Sig P220.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Most people with multiple guns have, at one time or another, have had the same problem. You aren't any different. Most people that carry different guns, do so because their primary weapon would not work in certain occasions and dress. The primary reason for trying to stick with one weapon is all your muscle training is always the same - when using multiple guns, it isn't. Some require the removal of the safety, others you just pull the trigger. Keep it the same and stay safe.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I am a pretty big advocate of carrying only one platform (2 if you count BUG). Unless you practice and have had 1,000's of rounds of experiance in every platform you own, carrying different on a regular basis could be detrimental to your health. A good test might me to have someone place a different gun each time into a pillow case (of course triple checking to ensure they are all empty and NO ammo is in the same room), then reach in and grip it properly putting it on target. If one platform does not even remotely feel dead on (forgive the pun please)...practice more before carrying it. Repeat process with every gun you wish to carry.

I am guessing that you are fairly new to cc'ing and my guess is that this novelty will wear off over time. I carry one platform (M&P) in a few variations but the egronomics are the same on each. I practice and compete with the same platform on a weekly basis...don't get me wrong, I shoot plenty of other guns but am simply most proficient with the one I depend on as my lpossible life saving tool.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

must be nice to have so many guns that you don't know which to shoot that day. if you need to get rid of a few i'll take a few off your hands no problem! i think between my dad and i we have maybe 8 pistols. when i go to the range i usually only bring my edc and the mark III for cheap fun. lately i've been bringing the 9mm since its being used as a truck gun again. other than that the others stay w/ dad or in the safe

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I'm a retired SFC who worked Hollywood Blvd with the 297th MID for several years and I've had my CCW since 94.
    I just like to carry different guns.
    But, I also believe in gross motor skills so I drill on basic technique with whatever handgun I decide to carry that week.
    The P2K is the most of the time, but running close are the Commander and the 229.

For carry, I've got the choice of SIG P229, Glock 36, Glock 26, Beretta 92G-SD, and occasionally S&W Model 36.

But, like an old shoe, I always come back to the most concealable, comfortable, and one I shoot very well, the Glock 26 in a Milt Sparks Watch Six IWB...while I like to carry the others in some circumstances, it always comes back to my trusty 26.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

Links