New Kimber SIS & Range Report

This is a discussion on New Kimber SIS & Range Report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, last night I stopped by our shop when they were about to close and there was a new SIS Pro. I had them hold ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kimber SIS & Range Report

So, last night I stopped by our shop when they were about to close and there was a new SIS Pro. I had them hold it and grabbed it when they opened today.

My carry gun is a CDP Pro, but always wished for the steel frame. Last week I bought a Custom II and posted a report the other day.. I can say this gun is amazing! I was not sure about the SIS cut in the slide, but everything else is perfect.

So, here's my take. This gun shoots soft, not much, but noticeably softer than my CDP Pro and about the same as my Custom II. From the first round out of this gun, it was perfect. Not a single problem. Not one premature lock, FTF, FTE or anything else.

I put 50 rounds of 185 grain Gold Dots since I had them and wanted to get rid of them. 50 rounds of HST+P and 50 rounds of Ranger t-series (not SXT's) I really like the t-series, but carry the HST's. So far have been the best..

Before those 150, I put 150 rounds of Independence 230 grain FMJ that they threw in. They also threw in another Wilson 47D, so now I have 14 of those and 3 EMT mags. It came with a Kimber Tac-Mag which is pretty nice. I bought one of those before and like them much better than the 7 round Kimber mags.

So, not much more to say other than 300 flawless rounds so far. Shoots very soft and feels great! With the memory bump grip safety and what appears to be a slightly shorter trigger (didn't measure, but looks and feels shorter) it feels amazing in my hand..

Here's a pic of the gun and the first target. 50 rounds of Gold Dot and 20 of FMJ's. There was one fly-away due to me. It hit low left, so I threw another 8 rounds at it rapid fire to make a little group from 10 yards. The shots at the top were from 7 yards.

Not world class shooting, but not too bad for a new gun at 7 to 10 yards two and one handed shooting, single shots, double-taps, triple-taps and full magazines at aimed rapid fire..

This will be my main carry gun after another range trip with another 300 to 500 rounds - at least until my Wilson comes in!

For you guys into photography, I apologize that these aren't my best shots, but done in a hurry.. Shot with a Nikon D3 and a Nikon 24-70 2.8 at ISO 800 and 1,600 at f/2.8..

I'd love to hear thoughts on this gun (besides the SIS in the slide!) from guys that own it or have shot it..

Thanks for looking! I'll be throwing some new grips on it in the next week or two...

Jonathan

P.S. I posted this at 1911forum too, just in case anyone sees it there too...

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    gotta say...i'm jealous...that's a sexy piece of machinery
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I'm loving it, great pictures, too.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    Damn Kimbers... won't shoot straight!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Beautiful!!!

Those grips are great! Beautiful gun.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Damn Kimbers... won't shoot straight!

I KNOW! You can always tell it's a Kimber when you see that telltale flyer! ;)

Jonathan

Nice shooting, and a REAL nice gun. I have a question. Where do you shoot? I live in Kingsville and am looking for a place to shoot. Only place I have found is Sharp Shooter.

You got a Nikon D3 AND 2 new Kimbers with one a SIS..sweeet! I am but a lowly man with a couple of D2X(s) and D300(s). AND you have the 24-70 while I still toil away with the old 28-70. (For the non-photo folk this guy is using gear that equates to Ed Brown, Wilson and whoever else is better than that).

Quote Originally Posted by wine6978 View Post
    Nice shooting, and a REAL nice gun. I have a question. Where do you shoot? I live in Kingsville and am looking for a place to shoot. Only place I have found is Sharp Shooter.
    Yep, Sharpshooter.. Only indoor range here. There's an outdoor range called Starry that charges $10 per gun and the Corpus Gun Club with a member fee..

The guy at Sharpshooter are great and they always treat me well, so that's part of why I go there! Email me if you come to town..

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by kingdaddyoh View Post
    You got a Nikon D3 AND 2 new Kimbers with one a SIS..sweeet! I am but a lowly man with a couple of D2X(s) and D300(s). AND you have the 24-70 while I still toil away with the old 28-70. (For the non-photo folk this guy is using gear that equates to Ed Brown, Wilson and whoever else is better than that).
    Sorry to go off topic, but.....

I love my D3's.. Just sold my 2 IDs Mark II's and my 2 5D's for my 2 D3's and a D300 plus all new lenses.. It was rough but well worth it! That 24-70 is tack sharp, as is the 70-200 2.8 and 85 1.4, although I really miss my 85 1.2L from Canon!

Here's my website - • Texas and Destination Weddings :: For the Discerning Bride • - Are you a photographer too?

Jonathan

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs up

I Like It!!! Grips look great and very functional. What don't you like about them? One sharp looking pistol IMO and I'm not a big Kimber fan. Hope she serves you well. Congrats!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

tp stay off topic for another sec.

The 70-200 is my favorite, but the 85 1.4 a close second. The only reason I'd go to the dark side would be for the 85 1.2!

Yeah I do some, mostly sports but a dozen weddings or so a year just to add a little drama to my life. I looked at your gallery....beautiful. I saw some great 85 1.2L examples!
    Last edited by kingdaddyoh; February 8th, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: forgot something!

Hah! I used to say that about Nikon and the D3.. Now, here I am. What an amazing camera with some amazing lenses. The 85 1.4 just feels old-school with the aperture ring!

I've shot so many weddings using 6400 ISO. I never thought that would be possible. I used to stay at 1600 and below with my Canons.. I've shot a handful images at wedding using 12,800 and a couple at 25,600, but those always go to B&W. I usually add some grain to images that are too clean anyway, but the D3 at 3200 and 6400 seems to have more of a grain structure than digital noise.

If I wouldn't have went to WPPI in Vegas last year and been lured over to the Nikon booth, I'd still be a faithful Canon shooter.

Jonathan

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    So, last night I stopped by our shop when they were about to close and there was a new SIS Pro. I had them hold it and grabbed it when they opened today.

My carry gun is a CDP Pro, but always wished for the steel frame. Last week I bought a Custom II and posted a report the other day.. I can say this gun is amazing! I was not sure about the SIS cut in the slide, but everything else is perfect.

So, here's my take. This gun shoots soft, not much, but noticeably softer than my CDP Pro and about the same as my Custom II. From the first round out of this gun, it was perfect. Not a single problem. Not one premature lock, FTF, FTE or anything else.

I put 50 rounds of 185 grain Gold Dots since I had them and wanted to get rid of them. 50 rounds of HST+P and 50 rounds of Ranger t-series (not SXT's) I really like the t-series, but carry the HST's. So far have been the best..

Before those 150, I put 150 rounds of Independence 230 grain FMJ that they threw in. They also threw in another Wilson 47D, so now I have 14 of those and 3 EMT mags. It came with a Kimber Tac-Mag which is pretty nice. I bought one of those before and like them much better than the 7 round Kimber mags.

So, not much more to say other than 300 flawless rounds so far. Shoots very soft and feels great! With the memory bump grip safety and what appears to be a slightly shorter trigger (didn't measure, but looks and feels shorter) it feels amazing in my hand..

Here's a pic of the gun and the first target. 50 rounds of Gold Dot and 20 of FMJ's. There was one fly-away due to me. It hit low left, so I threw another 8 rounds at it rapid fire to make a little group from 10 yards. The shots at the top were from 7 yards.

Not world class shooting, but not too bad for a new gun at 7 to 10 yards two and one handed shooting, single shots, double-taps, triple-taps and full magazines at aimed rapid fire..

This will be my main carry gun after another range trip with another 300 to 500 rounds - at least until my Wilson comes in!

For you guys into photography, I apologize that these aren't my best shots, but done in a hurry.. Shot with a Nikon D3 and a Nikon 24-70 2.8 at ISO 800 and 1,600 at f/2.8..

I'd love to hear thoughts on this gun (besides the SIS in the slide!) from guys that own it or have shot it..

Thanks for looking! I'll be throwing some new grips on it in the next week or two...

Jonathan

P.S. I posted this at 1911forum too, just in case anyone sees it there too...
    And I thought my twin Pro Crimson Carry II's were sexy. That's gorgeous
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links