True Ambidextrous Sub-Compacts

This is a discussion on True Ambidextrous Sub-Compacts within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New guy here and need some help finding a truly ambidextrous sub-compact semi-auto. Right now I have a Taurus PT-111 Pro, but being a southpaw ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: True Ambidextrous Sub-Compacts

True Ambidextrous Sub-Compacts

New guy here and need some help finding a truly ambidextrous sub-compact semi-auto. Right now I have a Taurus PT-111 Pro, but being a southpaw I just don't like the mag and slide release being on the wrong side...especially if ever confronted with a high intensity situation that would require a tactical reload.

I'd really like to find something with an overall length of 6-inches or less in 9mm with a single-stack magazine. The Kahr PM9 would be perfect, but alas no ambi options. Ditto with the Kel-Tek PF9.

Are there any others in this size range that are comparable and offer full ambi controls?

2. Remove Ads

I know it's a little bigger than what you want, but a S&W M&P 9c is a true ambidextrous handgun.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I'd really like to find something with an overall length of 6-inches or less in 9mm with a single-stack magazine.
    These are close...
    HK P7
    Walther PPS
    Rohrbaugh

Hold your gun in your right hand. Try to hit the mag and slide releases with your right thumb. If you have to skooch the gun around to reach them, you have a left handed auto!
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Ok, there are a few guns out there for those of us who shoot leftie. Ambidextrous slide releases aren't common, but mag releases and safeties are. The trick is to slingshot the slide rather than uses the slide release as it uses a more basic group of muscles which is easier to utilize during combat. That being said, I'd take a look at S&W M&P9C, Springfield XD subcompact, Walther PPS, and or a commander or officer style 1911. Then I would practice, practice, practice!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Lead Moderator
    I use my trigger or middle finger for those levers that are meant to be RH used.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I think that you're going to have a challenge with the single stack. Without the single stack I really love my XD because it is comfortable to shoot as a lefty. I carry the .40c but the 9sc is almost identical in a subcompact.

Once it is broke in just a little I found that I could easily work the slide release with my left index finger. And it has an ambi mag release and thumb rest. However, the mag is not a single stack.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

I use my trigger finger on the controls of most any gun, and curl my middle to hit mag release buttons. I used to worry about the slide release on certain guns that weren't lefty friendly (Sig, ahem) but in reality, if you have a round set and ready to go at the top of the mag, you can just rack the slide with your support hand (or whatever you can/want to) and its in the pipe.

I carry the M&P 40c, and I've found that the left side of the gun has the much stronger slide release button. Even if I felt like hitting the right side with my thumb, it would be hard to make even engage. No leverage over there!

x2 on the S&W M&P 9c, 40c or 45c. All are true left or right hand guns with a reversable mag release and a slide release on BOTH sides. NOT single stack but the 9c and 40c are very compact for their class.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

I'm a lefty and have no problem with a Kahr PM9 using my trigger finger for both the magazine and slide release

I shoot everything lefty after my right hand was paralyzed,try switching from right hand to left hand shooting,like bklynboy said I use my index finger to operate mag release and grab the slide and pull back to chamber
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Try a Bersa or Firestorm( same Gun)ultra compact, u can switch the mag release to make it fully left handed,SA and DA, Some people dont like Bersa because they cost less, they think this makes them a "cheap" gun, well I own 2 of them and I can promise u that the only thing cheap about them is the price.It may be hard to find one though ,I think the Secret is out.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

First let me elaborate a little here on my needs. My M&P40 FS and Taurus PT-111 Pro are adequate for most of my carry needs, but neither really works well for me when I'm on the motorcycle. The M&P is just too big to carry and keep concealed on my waist, and the Taurus is just a bit too tall in the grip to tuck into the inside stash pocket of my jacket (mainly due to the grip extension on the magazine). It fits, but you have to put it in just right and getting the zipper closed becomes a two-handed job to get around the extension. It also prints a little more than I'd like due to the thickness.

I've checked out the M&Pc, both the XD's, and the sub-Glocks. The problem is that they all print where I'd want to carry. Thus the realization that I'm going to need something with a single-stack magazine to keep the thickness down.

I've considered something in a sub-caliber, but thus far I've been less than impressed with their accuracy and terminal performance. The sub-calibers would be suitable as a back-up/last resort piece, but I definitely want at least a 9mm for my primary.

Right now I'm leaning towards one of the Kahr's, but as I said I'd really prefer to find something that's truly ambidextrous (my one gripe with my Taurus). That may be an impossible request, but thought I'd at least check first. The Kel-Tek is always an option, but from what I've read they seem to be kind of hit and miss on quality. I also like the Boberg XR9 that's in the works, but when they'll be available is unknown and it sounds like they're going to be pretty pricey.

The HK P7PSP is worth looking at. It's a single-stack 9mm with a bottom mag release. Completely ambidextrous. They can be hard to find though, so when you find one don't spend too much thinking it over . . .

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    That may be an impossible request, but thought I'd at least check first.

MrFurious, I gave you three suggestions that are all ambidexterous 9mm Two are a bit bigger and one fit your requirements to the T. Don't say impossible. It's just expensive.

HK P7
    Walther PPS
    Rohrbaugh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links