Replacing a MainSpring Housing...

This is a discussion on Replacing a MainSpring Housing... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I could sure use some help... I'm going to replace the arched mainspring housing in my SA mil-spec with a flat one. I've never done ...

Thread: Replacing a MainSpring Housing...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Replacing a MainSpring Housing...

I could sure use some help...

I'm going to replace the arched mainspring housing in my SA mil-spec with a flat one. I've never done anything like this and was wondering if anyone could give me some step by step instructions to follow, or maybe even a pic or two? I know how to get the old one out becasue the gun's manual give directions and I'm assuming I'll have to take some parts out of the old one to put in the new one? I haven't looked in there yet but thought I'd ask the 1911 guys for some advice on this.

I'm also wondering how hard it is to install a different handgrip safety and hammer? Is there good book you can recommend that details this on the 1911?

I love my SA mil-spec but with my hands, I think I'll get a better grip with the flat MSH and with extra slim grips.

Also, if you were going to pay someone to work on the gun, what is the number one thing you'd have done for improving accuracy on the Mil-spec? I'm going to do a few things to this gun over the next year including checkering of the front strap and better sights. Aother than that, I only want to do one or two things that'll make the biggest difference in accuracy. And I guess after the checkering I'll need to get the gun refinished too.

Thanks in advance for the help!

God Bless

Gideon

2. Remove Ads

Ok as for say a beavertail and commander hammer ya got to grind the frame for proper fit of beaver tail unless you go with kings drop in very nasty gaps though..

Ok for mainspring housing change..

If you have ILS cock hammer stick ils pin in hole on right side of frame.

Decock hammer then drive out pin at very bottom of grip.

Grab mainspring housing and pull down out it comes...

Then if your using a non ILS housing you need the housing mainspring cap and mainspring housing pin retainer,mainspring cap pin and a new mainspring .. the parts from ils wont work with a non ils housing...

Assemble housing slide up into frame push up while lining up the hammer strut with mainspring cap.. push up more since you have to overcome some spring pressure then push in retaining pin and bam your done

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    If you don't get the answer you need here, you might give this site a try http://forum.m1911.org/ seems to be lots of good helpful people here.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...cs/1911gov.htm

heres a exploded view of the 1911 plus links to but parts you need

if you want good accuracy a match barrel and barrel bushing and good sights are what i would go for

Follow these directions http://www.m1911.org/full_striping.htm and you'll be fine. I just replaced mine two weeks ago by following those directions without any trouble.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    if you want good accuracy a match barrel and barrel bushing and good sights are what i would go for

I'll second that. Kart or BarSto are probably about the best on the market. Have the barrel and a match bushing installed by a good 'smith and you should be golden.
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    I like my flat MSH and speed bump grip safety on my SA champion. The manual might help you to remove /replace the MSH too.

Gideon, Bill Wilson put out a booklet which I think is still available. The Wilson Combat 1911 Auto Maintenance Manual. If I remember correctly, it was 10.00 or so. They offered it on the website but there may be other sources for it as well. It covered maintenance to complete disassembly. I think you'll find it useful.

Good shooting,

Michael

OD*
    the parts from ils wont work with a non ils housing...
    Bud,
    You can use the ILS parts in a non-ILS MSH, you just leave out the mainspring cap pin as Springer does.

If you do change the MSH internals for the standard type parts, you may or may not get light hammer strikes (I did) the Springer hammer strut is just a little shorter than standard.

"The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I have found that the flat housing goes well with the long trigger and vise versa. Now you will have a flat housing with a short trigger, and the ones I have handled like that felt awkard to some degree. I perfer the flat mainspring housing with the long trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    Bud,
    You can use the ILS parts in a non-ILS MSH, you just leave out the mainspring cap pin as Springer does.

If you do change the MSH internals for the standard type parts, you may or may not get light hammer strikes (I did) the Springer hammer strut is just a little shorter than standard.

The ones ive done ive not had light hammer strikes with but i would swear the hammer strut was same length course one was a old loaded but still had ils i could be wrong on strut length or it might vary by year of gun make

Links