Interesting conundrum

Interesting conundrum

This is a discussion on Interesting conundrum within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When my brother turns legal age, I am thinking of, for various sentimental and also practical reasons, finishing what Dad and I started. We were ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting conundrum

When my brother turns legal age, I am thinking of, for various sentimental and also practical reasons, finishing what Dad and I started. We were going to get him a pistol.

Understand this is a guy who will shoot some. I'm not going to give a gun to someone who will never shoot and doesn't really want a gun in the first place. For instance, if she asked me I'd give her one in a heartbeat, but my sister will never want me to give her a gun. And I won't do it because I know it'd be a waste and a liability to her.

But he actually really, really, wants a handgun. As I said we were planning to get him one eventually and I think I will complete this plan since I'm the only half of that partnership that still can, so I've been showing him lots of my little toys and chatting him up for a while now already.

He has professed he really likes my GP100 revolver, but he also thinks the XD is real nice. He didn't care for Ruger semiautos, doesn't like Smith and Wesson anything even though he likes their appearance, didn't like Taurus too much, Glock was semi-okay but he only really liked the model 19, and he was kind of neutral to Sigs as a whole but liked the 226, but not as much as the XD. He digs the black plastic. High Point, EAA, and CZ are just not his thing at all, except he does like my CZ but not a lot.

So anyway, I can't knock his tastes too badly. Picking a GP100 and an XD along with a particular model of Sig and Glock isn't so bad now is it? Any self loader he gets he wants in 9mm. No question about it.

If I go with the revolver I know he'll want it in .357 Magnum. I personally am of the school that a good .357 revolver is the ideal sidearm for the minimalist.

However, I also have the sense to realize that while I'm a revolver person he's a semiauto person. And for a guy that's going to be an auto mechanic living in a city who doesn't care about experimenting with lots of different loads, who isn't going to have a backup gun, and just wants to shoot and protect himself from goblins, I have to wonder if the 9mm pistol isn't perfectly acceptable if not possibly superior for his specific needs.

I know my brother. He's a minimalist. He sees the pragmatic value of having a small arsenal and what he wants to do is quite sensible. He has a .22, a shotgun, centerfire rifles, all he wants and needs is a handgun. After he gets them all he'll be done as far as he is concerned. He doesn't drool over this stuff like I do. His money and energy go into his bicycle.

My inclination is that any of the guns he likes will take care of him nicely. They're all good choices. But in my gut I know that the wheelgun offers a world of possibilities, and if I were to be stripped down to one handgun it would be a .357 revolver.

FWIW this gun will not be cleaned as much as it should be, and he likes to important loose parts, like say detachable magazines, and he uses his gear hard. He's destroyed thousands of dollar's worth of bicycle tires alone. Like I said I know my brother.

Nothing will be bought for quite some time to come. But it's time to start planning... going to put a lot of thought into this.

so watch for a gp100 on the cheep and get it for him nuff said..

he might be a semi auto guy but be really hard to tear up more than the grips on a gp100

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    GP100 is great but ever thing of a 3" smith j frame? Gives you the best of most worlds. Just a thought.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Nah Bud if I scored the GP100 on the cheap, I'd clean mine up so it looked new (which it still does) and give it to him in the box with papers and all and take the used for myself.

Administrator
    A Good Solid Stainless Ruger revolver in .357 sure would do it.
    Pretty much indestructable, very reliable when dirty ~ no rust ~
    & with a .38 Special +P ammo option that will keep him right at 9mm power until he decides to shoot something heavier.
    The Ruger .357 is a breeze to shoot w/ hot 38 Special & is great for somebody that will not practice defensive shooting as often as they should.

Assistant Administrator
    I'd certainly also try and steer him to revo but - well - if semi is his bag then semi it may have to be.

Therefore right now XD seems to have top spot.. I guess continue with your eductaion for him and just see where it all goes. Planning is good but in the end - could be he will easily make his choice.

In a mere 2 weeks time my step daughter turns 21 - and she is coming to do an NRA course in May. She says she will carry and so far has proved she can handle guns well. I have some dilemma over what to get her, but right now it may be another Bersa .380, as per what I gave my wife. Time to decide yet tho.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    looks to me like an ideal home for a 2.5" or if you can find one 3" mod 66 smith from what you have said , revolver and robust but at the same time if he does decide to permit up and carry its small enough to make a fine choice for that . i belive ruger also made a 3" speed six and security 6 in stainless ( keeping with the smaller footprint ) or a sp 101 is another thought

The first handgun I purchaced was the 4" GP-100. I bought it because of its vercitility.

My second purches was the G19. I bought the Glock because I knew I was moving to FL, and I was afraid of rust. I also wanted something I could conceal wearing shorts w/h a tee shirt.
    FWIW this gun will not be cleaned as much as it should be, and he likes to important loose parts, like say detachable magazines, and he uses his gear hard. He's destroyed thousands of dollar's worth of bicycle tires alone. Like I said I know my brother.
    Mabe a "black" semi might suit him well? Just get pleanty of mags.

Eather way any of the handguns mentioned will fill the bill. The important thing is to find something he shoots well, and has faith in.

Have you showed him a 1911?
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

At a store. I don't actually have a 1911 myself. He didn't think much of it other than it looked cool. The .45 ACP isn't something he wants either.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Sounds like the G19 would be a good choice here, given their reputation for durability. Factory mags are cheap, so no worries there. 9mm ammo is cheap and easy to find - so he may be more likely to shoot it. Controls are pretty much idiot proof (not that your brother is an idiot...) so lack of practice won't spell disaster if he's not as familiar as he should be (with say the Sig or the XD). A Glock is practically an auto-loading revolver - kinda best of both worlds here.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Kahrma,

Just for reference, the XD is the same as a Glock, except that to alot of people it 1) points more naturally, 2) is more comfortable, and 3) it has the grip safety in addition to the so called trigger "safeties".

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    Just for reference, the XD is the same as a Glock, except that to alot of people it 1) points more naturally, 2) is more comfortable, and 3) it has the grip safety in addition to the so called trigger "safeties".
    Thanks! Hadn't looked at the XD line features in a while - I just remember the XD's dropping out of contention for me before the Glocks did. Any idea how he'll be using the gun?

Most likely killing paper and protection at home and on the road. I don't see him as being devoted enough to be interested in CHL pursuits. Not that I'm crazy about that, but then again maybe if he can start small he'll build up his interest and decide to get serious.

I'd lean strongly toward the GP-100. You well know how rugged they are so it could stand up to just about anything, less upkeep required, handles light .38spl to hot .357mag loads - even snakeshot if he should decide to use it for hiking/mtn. biking in snake country. There's also fewer (if any) springs that'll need replacing and, like you said, if you could have "only one gun" ....
    Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links