Defensive Carry banner

Perplexing...

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Bud White 
#1 ·
Man, Smith and Wesson doesn't know their customers very well do they?

Check this out. They have a firearm advisor on their site. Okay, neat idea. I thought it was a sort of search utility like Ruger's site has that lets you narrow it down to a few choices so you can see what they have to offer in what you want.

Instead they give you a set list. For instance here's the choices they offer you for concealed carry.

Come on... I can think of a half dozen more guns in about 3 second that Smith and Wesson makes that would make good CCW pieces.

Oh and and if you're a cop, I feel sorry for you. You only have 3 choices.

Seriously that's pretty bad. I don't think Smith and Wesson understands the CCW market very well at all, or even thier own products if we judge by this.

I much prefer the approach of "Here, these are the guns we make. You decide what they're good for."

#2 ·
I wonder actually if Smith has ever stopped to ''grade'' their products according to usefullness and application. In fact has any mfr?

I guess on reflection yes - of course some have - in fact they make it advertising priority - instance many semi's out there.

Maybe Smith just assumes folks will take their pick, without any push from them - but they could very usefully provide some ''food for thought'' re carry issues - much same as we might here. Not everyone looking is up to speed and savvy over what might suit.

They must have the wrong guy giving this very limited info.

#4 ·
I would think this is less due to S&W policy than the idiot doing their web pages lol

#6 ·
QKShooter said:
It will be a Mighty Cold Day In Hawaii before I would ever let some S&W experts decide what particular handgun would be suitable for me to carry. :biggrin2:
Guess you didn't see the TV story last week on the folks on the "Big Island" skiing and snow boarding! :image035: Seriously!! :hand10:

#7 ·
S&W had allot of problems in the past. Sorry,but I still can't forget that. What they tried to do to their loyal customers is very sad. Anyway,look closely at their prices in the link in Euc' post. Holy $___ !!! Their still tryin' to screw us. I'm not sayin' that they don't make a fine weapon or their management hasn't "come around",but jeeeeze. Their weapons aren't gold. They have still lost this customer.-------

#8 ·
It's also difficult to tell the difference between different models on Smith's website. Try the .22 pistols - many different variations on the same family - up to $180 between variations and very little indication of the differences. No way to compare specs without printing them out for each gun. Have fun going through the 3 pages of 9mm handguns, or 4 pages of .357's.....

Would be nice to be able to select models to compare and view their specs/differences side-by-side.

In all fairness, I've noticed several other firearms manufacturers' websites are about as (un)helpful.

#9 ·
RSSZ said:
Anyway,look closely at their prices in the link in Euc' post. Holy $___ !!! Their still tryin' to screw us. I'm not sayin' that they don't make a fine weapon or their management hasn't "come around",but jeeeeze. Their weapons aren't gold.
Fair enough RSSZ but I say the same thing about HK... Plus I've seldom seen their guns sold at website prices. Street value is usually considerably less.

What miffs me somewhat about their pricing is this whole goofiness with the Model 21... costs way more than it should because you get to pay to advertise Thunder Ranch.

#10 ·
Euc, Am in complete agreement with the above post. Especially the HK part. They are great weapons but they ain't gold either. As beauty is,I figure that value is in the eyes of the beholder also. To me,all the mfg's prices for those Ti and Scandium weapons are very much inflated. I never shot one that I really fell in love with anyway. To my advantage,I suppose. --- P.S. Thunder Ranch (!!) don't get me started.-------

#12 ·
I don't really pay attention to web prices as just about any I see in the shops are well below that. I honestly believe the manufacturers publish these astronomical prices on their websites so that when you walk into a shop and see the same gun for $50 to $200 less you feel like you're getting a great deal. The only thing I use those advertised prices for is to gauge one model against another: If I know Company A advertises Model X for $650 but my local shop sells it for $525 then if they advertise Model Y for $795 I should be able to find it locally for around $625 or so ... (Sorry Euc, I was an Art Major in college. LOL)

I am a little miffed that S&W makes all those 1911s and they don't think they're suitable for CCW though :rant:
Jack

#14 ·
RSSZ said:
NOBODY here has ever paid full retail or MSRP for a firearm ?? I sure have.I have just had to have several when they first came out and I forked it over. (This isn't an apology) --------

Im behind the curve i usually don't find out there out there till after they been out awhile.. Or as in the case of my 500 it could came out in 8/38 i didn't want one that long then the 4" cam out so that was cool..

Waiting for a 6" non pc 460 or it can be a pc if they don't make it as ugly as they are right now ..

#15 ·
10-4 that Bud. On a new offering,I try to wait til the bugs have been rung outta it,but the "just gotta have" syndrome sometimes takes over. I paid above MSRP for the Beretta Storm in .45ACP but I was dreaming of the little SOB almost every night. Would I do it again...?...ABSOLUTELY !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.