Looking for a pistol for my wife

This is a discussion on Looking for a pistol for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; one of the hardest things in life is the time when the wife/girlfriend wants a gun. we as men start at showing her what we ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pistol for my wife

one of the hardest things in life is the time when the wife/girlfriend wants a gun. we as men start at showing her what we like and what we want. but these actions in the end will not work. now is the time for you to "keep mouth shut" and have a pocket full of money when it is time to buy the gun. your job is to take her to many gun shops so she can feel and hold the guns; the guns that she likes, not the guns that you like and/or want. take her to the range to shoot friends guns also. when the time comes and she picks out the gun that she "likes"; no matter the brand and cal; you need to "keep your mouth shut" and pull out the money for the gun, ammo, and the holster she "likes". the only thing you need to say is "let go to the range and shoot some". remember it is her gun, not yours. if you go foward with this in the back of your mind, things will work out.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    I am small as well, 5'4" and petite with small hands. I've never met a gun that fit my hands as well as my Kimber Pro Carry II.
    Have her try a 1911 series. I find the grip easy to hold, not to narrow nor wide. I've tried holding several Glocks and every one had felt like holding a brick.
    The S&W M&P 9mm isn't bad, the grip is a little shorter in the palm than I like, but more contoured to the shape of my hand.
    but please don't make a decision for her. Take her to a gun shop/range , let her hold a few different guns and choose a few that feel good in her hand. Then rent and fire the ones she feels comfortable holding and narrow down the ones she feels most comfortable firing.
    When I chose my carry gun I had made up my mind I was going to get a 9mm, until I rented and fired the Kimber. I had fired .38's .357Magnums, a .44Magnum, and never thought I would be able to handle a .45. Seven rounds in the first clip changed my mind and I knew right then, it was the gun for me. She will know "her gun" after she fires a few and has a comparision.
    Let us know what she chooses.
    She will definitely be making the final decision. I'm just trying to narrow the field. There are so many choices and options that it can be rather daunting for a beginner. I had originally planned to get her a S&W 642, I quickly learned that I was wrong when she didn't like it. She tends to gravitate to the semi-autos. I like the Kimber too but she doesn't like the trigger. Her favorite that she has picked up so far is the Walther P22. I'm planning to get a P99c for myself this weekend so we'll see how she likes that. Still the P99c does not have a safety. Thanks again for the advice. All recommendations are welcome and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    one of the hardest things in life is the time when the wife/girlfriend wants a gun. we as men start at showing her what we like and what we want. but these actions in the end will not work. now is the time for you to "keep mouth shut" and have a pocket full of money when it is time to buy the gun. your job is to take her to many gun shops so she can feel and hold the guns; the guns that she likes, not the guns that you like and/or want. take her to the range to shoot friends guns also. when the time comes and she picks out the gun that she "likes"; no matter the brand and cal; you need to "keep your mouth shut" and pull out the money for the gun, ammo, and the holster she "likes". the only thing you need to say is "let go to the range and shoot some". remember it is her gun, not yours. if you go foward with this in the back of your mind, things will work out.
    Agreed. The only thing I worry about with the Walther P22 is if it will do the job when it's needed. What do you guys think about .22 cal for a defense/carry weapon?

Senior Moderator
    I would rather she carry a .22lr than have a .357 that she leaves at home.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I would rather she carry a .22lr than have a .357 that she leaves at home.
    Yes, excellent advice. FWIW, My wife's carry is a P11 but she is 5'-7"
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

My wife loves our S&W 3913 which is a medium sized 9MM single stack pistol. It is brushed aluminium/SS, doesn't weigh very much, has a small diameter handgrip, manual safety, and is DA/SA so the first shot is DA unless you just racked the slide. Pretty darn accurate and easy on the recoil.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Conceal (9UC) or a Bersa 380 Compact Carry (380CC). They are very accurate, durable, and are a pleasure to shoot. I own both in addition to a Glock 23 (40 S&W)
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

wife options

I carry a Bersa 380 which I like alot because it has a manual safety/decocked. It does not recoil very much and has sufficient power for a defensive weapon. My wife will start carrying one soon after she has had a little more time on the range with it. She had a Kel-Tec P32 but wanted the safety feature as well which the Kel-Tec does not have. The Bersa is a Walther PPK clone and a quality one at a better price then the Walther. The concealed carry version of the BT380 is a little smaller and lighter then the stnadard BT380. Carries 7 rounds in a single stack mag. The Cor Bon DPX is an excellent SD ammo for this weapon.
    JimH
    Kentucky
    S&W 442, Bersa 380, S&W 9mm M&P, Springfield XD40c
    Member: NRA, USCCA

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I would agree w/the Bersa 380 IF 1)you feel comfortable starting her w/an auto and 2) you're comfortable w/the limitations of the cal. I started my wife w/a S&W wheel gun, 38 and it has Crimson Trace grips. She really liked the red dot, got her playing w/the gun, shooting w/confidence. We've since moved to auto's for her but it was a nice (and safer) way to get the process started. BTW....she didn't want a wheel gun til I showed her one w/laser and that's all it took. Finally, the folks that carry the Bersas swear by them. For the money you can't beat it. And they work well (after break-in)
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
    Agreed. The only thing I worry about with the Walther P22 is if it will do the job when it's needed. What do you guys think about .22 cal for a defense/carry weapon?
    if she wants the p22, i would buy it as fast as i can. i would get as much ammo i can and head to the range. let her shoot it up. let her get a holster that she likes and at this point be happy. later,,,,later,,,, you can show her something in a bigger cal. but i would let her carry the p22 for several months before trying to move her to "her second gun". and remember as with the first gun, she will make the final pick, if any.

my wife started with a beretta jetfire (25acp), then she went to the beretta 21a (22lr), then she went to a s&w model 36. now she is looking at my glock 26 safe queen and/or my kel tec p11 safe queen. but yesterday she had her hands on my kel tec p3at, saying it was lite and small. so i know before the month is over there will be a gun change in my house. i know to keep my mouth shut and have ammo ready for the range. time to change out the safe queens.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

my girlfriend bought her first pistol a couple of days ago it was a cobra ca380 its chambered in 380 the smallest id let her get and the darn thing is so damn small it almost disapears in my big hands. we walked in the the shop looked at all the guns and was like OH CRAP they had this little PINK gun i said sweet jesus anything but that! but hey she loves the thing and at $200 brand new it was a good deal
    either fight or flight and i aint got no damn wings!

How much of a difference is there in the Bersa and The Walther PPK? I've heard they are pretty similar. We are going to shoot a friends PPK 380 this afternoon to see how she likes it.

Springfield EMP is my recomendation. Wonderful little guns.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would let her try a bersa .380 dad carries one along with the .45 and its darn reliable and a blast to shoot.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

me
    When mom just bought a new gun I was lucky. Her Marine Brother and my Father did the hard work of laying out the "You Can't have less than" (She listens to her brother better) and all I had to do was give her some ideas to look at and say if the reputation on it was good.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links