Looking for a pistol for my wife

This is a discussion on Looking for a pistol for my wife within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm pretty new here. There seems to be tons of great info here so I figured I would ask your opinions. I am looking ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a pistol for my wife

Hi, I'm pretty new here. There seems to be tons of great info here so I figured I would ask your opinions. I am looking for a pistol for my wife. She likes the feel of the Walther P22 but we want something with a little more knockdown power. I was thinking of something in the ballpark of .32 to 9mm. I am looking at a P99c for myself. I thought she might like this for herself also but, she is helping to home school 6 children. Because of this, she wants to have a manual safety. It seems like the manual safety narrows our options quite a bit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Whit

My wife and I share her Tuarus 24/7 Pro (9mm). It is small, semi light and has really nice rubber grips. It also has a manual saftey and a key lock saftey that is built in to the gun. It kind of looks like an allen wrench and works great. She would also like the PT111 if she has smaller hands it is the same brand with the same manual lock.

Good luck and let us know what she picks.
    Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?

Ricardo

A Beretta 92FS would be a good, full size pistol. The safety is very easily flicked with your thumb as you draw.

Look toward a 9mm 1911 style pistol. Might be a good bet. Possibly an H&K with a manual safety.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Thanks for your quick responses so far. I forgot to mention that she is 5'2" with small hands so we need to find something on the smaller/compact side that will be comfortable for her to grip.

couple options that I consider for my wife (also see the 22 vs 25 thread about this ;-) )... similar size

Beretta Bobcast .25 - her current primary carry.
    Sig 232 .380 - she likes the way it feels and it is the largest size she feels comfortable carrying
    Sig 239 9mm - what I want here to carry
    Glock 27 or 26 - she just doesn't like it, but its a cheaper alternative to the Sig
    Sig 229 .40 - she likes the way it shoots, but way too big for her to conceal.

Let me know what you are coming up with. My wife is developing a dangerous taste for expensive guns ;-)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

A single stack like a compact 9mm 1911 would be ideal then...but you might also try look at a Browning Hi-Power or clone some of the companies are making a compact version now...even in DA if you want
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
    Thanks for your quick responses so far. I forgot to mention that she is 5'2" with small hands so we need to find something on the smaller/compact side that will be comfortable for her to grip.
    I am small as well, 5'4" and petite with small hands. I've never met a gun that fit my hands as well as my Kimber Pro Carry II.
    Have her try a 1911 series. I find the grip easy to hold, not to narrow nor wide. I've tried holding several Glocks and every one had felt like holding a brick.
    The S&W M&P 9mm isn't bad, the grip is a little shorter in the palm than I like, but more contoured to the shape of my hand.
    but please don't make a decision for her. Take her to a gun shop/range , let her hold a few different guns and choose a few that feel good in her hand. Then rent and fire the ones she feels comfortable holding and narrow down the ones she feels most comfortable firing.
    When I chose my carry gun I had made up my mind I was going to get a 9mm, until I rented and fired the Kimber. I had fired .38's .357Magnums, a .44Magnum, and never thought I would be able to handle a .45. Seven rounds in the first clip changed my mind and I knew right then, it was the gun for me. She will know "her gun" after she fires a few and has a comparision.
    Let us know what she chooses.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rugergirl View Post
    Take her to a gun shop/range , let her hold a few different guns and choose a few that feel good in her hand. Then rent and fire the ones she feels comfortable holding and narrow down the ones she feels most comfortable firing.

She will know "her gun" after she fires a few and has a comparision.
    Let us know what she chooses.
    Best advice I read all day, from a woman too!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I would definately have her handle and shoot as many guns as possible before making a decision!

I think that the 1911 style guns may be a bit heavy for her as a carry gun. I would take a good long look at the M&P 9mm with manual safety option. The safety is a 1911 style and with the three different backstrap options I dare say the the gun will fit her hand quite nicely. I have had a number of smaller women really like these weapons...small, lightweight, UBER reliable, VERY simple to maintain, inexpensive...
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Full size?

Check out Sig Pro 2022.

My tiny GF shoots 1" groups with my 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield View Post
    My wife fits that bill. She carries a Kimber Aegis II Ultra. It has slim grips, a manual safety, an 8rd mag, and easy shooting 9mm Gold Dots. It was worth the price.

Lead Moderator
    Along with the advice so far try

This has come up before, and has a few threads on the subject, with answers from some of our knowledgeable female members. Also, don't discount wheel guns.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Id look at an S&W 38 special, But considering the kids, Id keep it in a locked box..

But it depends on the size of her hands, and how she feels about recoil.

My wife does not do well with recoil, so I gave her a Berretta 22, and she is glad to take it to the range, and has shoot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds through it.

Sure it lacks knock down, but a BG is not going to worry about what caliber pistol it is, should she start shooting him.

Let her pick one out. For SD use the P99c is great as far as recoil goes in the 9mm. and it fits just about any hand size with the different grips.

Now as far as worrying about having a manual safety with 6 kids around---
    Twelve little hands that find a pistol is a VERY bad situation, no matter what kind of safety. Unless it is a key type I wouldn't rely on any.

Get her a fast opening pistol safe and keep it where she can get to it.
    bosco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links