S&W 442 Lock problem-what to do!?

This is a discussion on S&W 442 Lock problem-what to do!? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I went to dry fire practice with the 442 last night and when I pulled the trigger, it didn't move! (It acted like my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 442 Lock problem-what to do!?

S&W 442 Lock problem-what to do!?

So I went to dry fire practice with the 442 last night and when I pulled the trigger, it didn't move! (It acted like my dad's 642 with the lock engaged, it moves 1/16" or so) Turning the factory lock doesn't change anything. I took the side plate off and I can't get the hammer to rotate to get it out so I can look at the lock guts.
    So now what? A gunsmith to get it apart and remove the lock or off to S&W? It's one of those things that I read about it happening to others but not me, hmm guess i'm a statistic now.
    And to think I sold the kel-tec cause I couldn't rely on it

2. Remove Ads

Send it to a gunsmith, you pay.
    Send it to SW, they pay.

Jamie

You probably won't be able to do much unless you remove the mainspring first.
    If you're inclined to do that, you'll be able to remove the hammer etc. If you're not inclined, just button it up and send it S&W. They'll fix it for free, and I believe even pay return shipping.

Also, once you have it apart, it's easy to remove the lock if you want. But at this point it's not clear that the lock is at fault.
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

get on the web and read how to break it down. once you do it one time, it will be easy for then on. grips off, mainspring out, hammer out, then remove the lock. put all back togeather, except leave the lock parts out.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    If you would like to tackle it yourself, view this youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

It is a very simple, concise film on how to remove the lock. I'm thinking of removing mine.

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

I have had the hammer out before so when this happened I took the side plate off and took out the main spring. BUT since the hammer will not rotate counter clockwise I cannot get it out.
    And I am not sure that I want to remove the 'flag' and have the hole in the case as this is a pocket carry gun that gets full of lint.
    If I send it back to S&W I assume they will put it back to stock and they would not disable the lock even if I asked for it? At this point I have lost all faith in the factory lock!
    Thanks for the thoughts so far

The only hope I can offer is at least its a Smith. You will get to deal with the best customer service in the business.

IIRC, you have things "out of time." I believe you've got your hammer out of place in relation to the trigger hook. From what I recall, the easiest fix is to remove the trigger transfer block (behind the trigger) and use a driver to pull your pawl out of the frame slot.

From that point, gently work the trigger up and out of the frame. Do the same with the hammer. Make sure your cylinder stop is fully seated in the frame; make sure the pawl is seated fully against the trigger whem replacing. Reassemble.

Again, I haven't worked a Smith in a couple of years, but I believe your cylinder stop or the pawl are out of alignment. I've experienced the problem myself.

Exactly why I had the hammer changed on my PT1911. It could engage at the worst time. Just my .02
    Good Luck
    Sam.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Quote Originally Posted by johnica View Post
    So I went to dry fire practice with the 442 last night and when I pulled the trigger, it didn't move! (It acted like my dad's 642 with the lock engaged, it moves 1/16" or so) Turning the factory lock doesn't change anything. I took the side plate off and I can't get the hammer to rotate to get it out so I can look at the lock guts.
    So now what? A gunsmith to get it apart and remove the lock or off to S&W? It's one of those things that I read about it happening to others but not me, hmm guess i'm a statistic now.
    And to think I sold the kel-tec cause I couldn't rely on it
    Send it back to S&W.

They are really good about warranty issues, and this is definately a warranty issue. When you get it back, carry it and use it for a year or so. Then sell it and buy a Ruger LCR or a Used S&W with no "Hillary Hole".

The reason I say to not buy the Ruger for a year is because Ruger has a history of releasing guns before all the "bugs" are worked out. It takes a while, but they finally get their guns "ironed out".

Heck, it took me almost twenty years to buy an SP101, and I loved it from the start.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    GOOD LUCK. I'd send it to Smith and THEN REMOVE THAT LOCK.. Now I DEFINITELY KNOW THAT I'LL BUY ONLY A NO-LOCK Smith J-Frame(new or old)or a Ruger SP101 !!! That Lock is BAD Ju-JU!!!!!!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

VIP Member

Lint - No Worries

I have had the hammer out before so when this happened I took the side plate off and took out the main spring. BUT since the hammer will not rotate counter clockwise I cannot get it out.
    And I am not sure that I want to remove the 'flag' and have the hole in the case as this is a pocket carry gun that gets full of lint.
    If I send it back to S&W I assume they will put it back to stock and they would not disable the lock even if I asked for it? At this point I have lost all faith in the factory lock!
    Don't worry about the lint. I've pocketed carried for some time. Lint does not get in the hole. Just keep it in a good holster, it will be fine.

S&W has begun selling some j-frames without locks I believe. So it's possible they might be willing to remove the lock in yours. But again, you don't have proof yet that it's the lock that's at fault, do you?
    Gun control is not the answer. Gun control is the question. The answer is NO.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel View Post
    S&W has begun selling some j-frames without locks I believe. So it's possible they might be willing to remove the lock in yours.

No, S&W will not remove the internal lock.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I figured that Smith would not remove the lock so I will keep you posted on what the gun smith says.
    On the disassembly note, I can pull the trigger a bit, get the hammer to move back a bit then lift the hammer up a little, but then when I pull the trigger some more it hits the case, thats why I gave it to someone with experience, because I can't get it to rotate more to get it out. From this point I have no faith in that d@mn lock, as a personal protection piece I need to count on it, otherwise I may-as-well carry a 12 oz piece of lead in my pocket!
    Thanks for the insight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links