New Sa XD Subcompact .40cal report

This is a discussion on New Sa XD Subcompact .40cal report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to the gun show today to pick up a new carry gun. Bought a SA XD subcompact .40cal. It was NIB and came with ...

Thread: New Sa XD Subcompact .40cal report

New Sa XD Subcompact .40cal report

Went to the gun show today to pick up a new carry gun. Bought a SA XD subcompact .40cal. It was NIB and came with one hi-cap mag and one 9rd mag, breach lock and all the paperwork. I think I got a fair deal at $389.00. A guy 2 tables down was selling the same gun without a hi-cap mag for $529.00. The slide to frame fit is not as tight as my H&K but tighter than my glock. The barrel lock up is very tight, tighter than both my H&K and glock. The finish looks good but time will tell if it will hold up. The only thing I dont like is the rear slide rails are plastic molded into the frame, the front rails are metal. Will take it to the range later in the week and post a full report on how it runs. would like to hear others experiences with a SA XD subcompact.

Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

2. Remove Ads

Kat
    I carry it every day (my first carry gun). I haven't had any problems with shooting or finish. I wipe it down with a silicon rag every couple of days.

Started out shooting low/left (I'm right handed) and have worked that kink out by:
    - loading some snap caps in with my live rounds during range time
    - have squeezed the gun harder (death grip)
    - moved my finger further across the trigger
    - learned to focus on the front sight more (even though most of my practise is point & shoot)
    - added the Pierce mag extention. This allows me to add my pinky to the grip and doesn't take away concealability.

Federal's 165 gr. Hydra-Shok are my carry rounds.

Carry in Fist #1 leather holster, IWB.
    Last edited by Kat; February 4th, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like a very OK deal.

Most that I have heard re corrosion probs does seem controllable with silicon cloth or as I would probably do - use a CLP cloth wipe or Boeshield.

Hope it'll shoot well for you.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The XD claims another victim. There's the light side (1911s) the dark side (Glocks) and the right side.

I think you did good at 390.00, and that guy wanting 500+ is nuts. For that kind of money it outta be the new XD45ACP he's selling!

Out of curiousity, is there any difference in concealment, controllability, or feel between using the nine round mag with the Pierce extension and the full capacity mag with the magwell extending sleeve? I've often pondered an XD40 SC but the two finger grip is just not something I want.

I wonder how it compares to the XD40 Service.

Sounds like you got a good deal Congrats

Sweet deal! and yes another victim down, and thousands more to go!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Sounds like a great deal at that price point. I paid just under $500 or so for my XD9 Service about 7 months ago. I carry that as my CCW IWB with a Desantis Pro-Stealth. Works great.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Out of curiousity, is there any difference in concealment, controllability, or feel between using the nine round mag with the Pearce extension and the full capacity mag with the magwell extending sleeve? I've often pondered an XD40 SC but the two finger grip is just not something I want.
    I carry the extra, 12 shot mag, in my pocket as a spare. IMO it's easier to hide more barrel length than grip length. The sub is about an inch or so shorter in barrel length and nearly an inch shorter in grip length. If you buy the sub for concealability, you'ld be giving that benefit back by using the 12 shot mag and may as well go to the Service. The Pearce grip only adds about a 1/2 inch to the trigger side of the grip, so the "give back" in concealability is pretty nominal. I actually think the Pearce grip may be better to shoot than the extended mag because it actually wedges my three fingers tightly (comfortably) together, keeping my entire grip a bit more stable. It has a bit of a flare on the bottom, trigger side. On the night stand and around the house the extended mag is in the gun.

I almost went with the Service just because, like you said, not getting that pinky into the action really doesn't feal comfortable. I did some reading on one of the XD forums and found a lot of references to the Pearce grip. They're about $10.

Consider also that if I need to go to my back up mag, concealability is no longer an issue anyway. Either I've just gone through 10 rounds, there was a malfunction while firing or I'm strategically reloading. Carrying the 12 shot mag in my front, left pocket isn't much different than carrying the 9 shot mag & having another 12 sure feals good.

A lot of guys carry the Service, though.

I really like the gun! Maybe SA will get to a .45Sub??
    Last edited by Kat; February 4th, 2006 at 10:37 PM.
    Luke 22:36 And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one."

Thanks for the input Kat. I like the XD series and I like the idea of a smaller gun that uses the magazines I already have (even though they'd stick out the bottom). I do carry the service size and prefer it, but I do confess I want to experiment with the SC.

I know a lot of guys are having the Service grip cut down so that it's the same size as the SC grip. I'm not sure I'm ready to mutilate a gun that way, hehe.

Does the Pearce extension replace the floorplate on the magazine?

Kat
    Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    Does the Pearce extension replace the floorplate on the magazine?
    Yup - Wrong. (I'm editing because the XD floorplate (locking plate) does stay. The Pearce extension slides over and snaps onto it.)

I wonder if SA just sells the sleave for the extended mag? You could add that to your current mags if you got to the Sub.
    Last edited by Kat; February 4th, 2006 at 10:45 PM.

Well if I did I'd get two of the shorties and two with the sleeve and call it good. The service sized mags will work in a pinch, which is nice.

One thing about the Pearce Floorplate is it pops off pretty easy.. At least the 2 i do off of any of my Xd mags.

If ya bump it it falls off and shoots contents of mag all over

Kat
    that would not be cool! Hasn't happened to mine. I'll have to bang them around a bit.

Could be they have changed too .

I got my Xd SC when it first came out got them then to and was a no go havent bother to try any out since

Well I finally made it to the range with my XD .40 SubComp. Ive read on various forums about peoples dislike of the .40 rd. Some say they just dont like the recoil, that its to snappy and just not fun to shoot. Well I bought the .40 for self defense not as a fun gun. My H&K P2000 is my fun gun. Let me tell you this little XD handles the recoil very well, it doesnt feel much different than my .9mm. The XD is very top heavy maby this helps to tame the recoil. I orderd a pinky extention for my mag but havent recieved it yet so all my shooting has been done with pinky hanging off the bottom of the gun. Dispite the short grip and a 3in barrel the XD was very accurate at 10yrds. I was able to keep a 3in to a 4in shot group my first time out. I was using WWB ammo, chapman stance/modifide weaver or what I like to call IssoWeaver,lol. I went through 200 rds with no problems at all. With the pinky extention and more range time Im sure my shot groups will only get better. Now I need a holster, Im going to order a Milt Sparks VM2. Theres about a 12 week wait for this holster and that will give me plenty of time to get better aquainted with this gun.
    Nothing begins, and nothing ends, That is not paid with moan; For we are born in others pain And perish in our own.

Links