Kahr?? - Page 2

Kahr??

This is a discussion on Kahr?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thank you kindly, RR!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kahr??

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Thank you kindly, RR!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Erich not to poke any sacrid cows or anything among affacincos of either but since you appairently have both or access to both , how about a little post on the Kahr and Rorbagh with the strong/weak points of each for the ccw/defense role they both are designed for i have been curious as to how they actualy stack up with each other side by side

It would sort of be comparing apples to crabapples - I don't really see them as filling the same niche.

The Rohrbaugh is very much smaller than the P9 Covert - it's like the difference between carrying a .25 vs. carrying a .380. The Rohrbaugh is more finely finished and has a nicer trigger pull - it also costs about 140% what the Kahr costs. The Kahr can use +P+ ammo. The Rohrbaugh offers second strike capability (but has never required it). The Kahr does not (and has required it once - but I truly believe that to be the fault of the ammo, and it was during the 200-rnd break-in period. The Rohrbaugh doesn't require a break-in period, but I found it more of a prima donna in terms of how it must be held in order for it to function 100% (but my odd-shaped thin-palmed hands have something to do with this - regular folks don't seem to have the problem).

If I were going to carry in a Speedo, the Rohrbaugh would work. For super-deep cover, I don't know that it can be beat. I've worked on cases in which narcotics detectives were required to carry .25s because they were the only pistols small enough to evade detection. This is no longer the case - the R9s can do the job and carries a real round.

For my everyday dress mode, though, the Kahr P9 Covert allows me to bring along a little more oomph in an easier-to-shoot package.

Since I don't own a PM9, I can't compare that to the R9s. I've held them at the same time, though, and the Rohrbaugh is observably smaller and feels it.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Erich; February 5th, 2006 at 08:46 PM.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Ok now I'm impressed. I have never heard of a Rohrbaugh. Never seen a write up about it or nothing. Is this thing a piece of junk or just not talked about? Now I'm doing research. Same weight as my 340PD, has sights, good deep BUG and still potent. Now how much does it cost. Ok Erich you brought it up its up to you to fill in the voides. LOL.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Chris should share some info on the Rohrbaugh.

They seem to be good guns though expensive at somewhat hard to get ahold of unless there's more of them out there

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I look at the pm9 / pm40 as some what of a " lodgepin" gun similar to what the ppk/ppks used to be ( the Rohrbaugh would be the masonic ring gun i guess lol ) . Now before anyone jumps i carry a pm9 and am well pleased with it , i am just speaking about the almost cult that the two brands have garnered ( both of lovers and haters ) myself i dont think i would want a Rohrbaugh ( nor could i easily afford one ), since my pm9 pretty well fills the same role cheaper , and handles +P as a steady diet but i would like to see a side by side compairison of the two as stated above . i do see erich's point on the p9covert and the Rohrbaugh not really being appliable , but general action impressions , ect are informitave anyway thanks erich

De nada, RR.

Fed, it's NOT the same weight as the 340PD!

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/

Assistant Administrator
    fed - the Rohrbaugh is only really just getting into its proper 2nd year of production - with regard to orders being filled. It has had some reviews and some publicity but I reckon it takes quite a long time for a new gun to be known about by all. Plus too of course - a small gun costing near a grand is not of interest to quite a few!!

It has had a few small teething problems as has about any new gun - not forgetting too how some high end 1911's can be less than perfect every time out the box.

As Erich mentioned too - method of grip and use is a major factor.

Go explore the R9 forum a bit (link in sig below) - and also if you look there in that sig line (I am R9SCarry there!) - there is a link to my small FAQ site - and that explains some of the odd problems folks have come across, as well as other aspects.

Weight BTW, loaded, is about 17 ounces.

In fact - if you want to see FAQ site first Click here

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I'm sorry Erich, I was going off the info on Rohrbaugh's website listing the basic model as 12.8 oz and S&W as 12oz. Thanks for the link and info. Now I'll have another weapon to consider.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Can't say that I've had as much trouble disassembling my P9. Holding the gun in the left hand, line up the marks on the slide and frame. With the right hand, give the slide release a good tap with the plastic base of the magazine. Should be able to pull it out from the other side once thus started.

The barrel on my example looks perfect on the inside - nice, shiny and smooth.

As for malfunctions, I had a couple FTF's in the first couple hundred rounds. I've never had a FTE. I've had no failures of any kind in the last several hundred rounds, with FMJ or JHP ammo.

Oh, no problem, Fed - I just didn't want to be misrepresenting the R9s to you as being lighter than it is (and I was afraid that I'd done that in my initial post). The R9s is definitely heavier than a 340PD (I suspect that 12.8 oz weight you found might be w/o mag), just not very much heavier. Figure about a pound or maybe a tad less when it's fully loaded. It's not like the Kel-Tec P32 that I've actually put into my pocket, forgotten I'd done so, and then spent ten minutes freaking out and looking all over the house for it. You'll know the R9s is in your pocket - you just won't be burdened by it at all.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Like my P9, but if I had known about the Covert and being able to pocket carry easily, I probably would have bought a Covert. I have had NO feed/extraction/return to battery problems in the several hundred rounds I've put through it. Light, accurate and easy to shoot. Don't pay MSRP, though.

VIP Member
    Erich, thanks for posting your outstanding review on your P9 Covert.

My Covert's (or PM9 or P45) frame seemed to be a bit better "finished" and didn't exhibing sloppy molding. The outside of the barrel has a strange "mottled" discoloring, but the bore is fine.

If you let Kahr know about your barrel, I'm sure they'll replace it for you.

Are you getting night sights for your gun?
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Hi Santos,

Nah. I used to be really into night sights, but I've come to realize that I'd either be using a Surefire in conjunction with my sights or else I'd be shooting up so close that sights don't matter. Anyway, if they were free I'd take them, but I haven't been dropping the extra $100 for every gun lately. (I still have a couple of house guns that are night-sighted, of course.)

Interesting to know that Kahr would probably replace the barrel. I'm tempted, from an aesthetic standpoint (and to see if I got any more velocity out of a new one), but that old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is shouting at me.

I've SmartCarried it and pocket-carried it (in a DeSantis Nemesis) so far, but I've got a nice Don Hume 715 IWB with belt loops speeding my way from Gunner's Alley, and I just special-ordered a R.L. Graham "Pop-Top" IWB from Pale Horse Holsters.

http://www.palehorseholsters.com/poptop.jpg

The price is right, and it looks like it would conceal superbly IWB in the front. You poke the front of the gun on the outside of your pants, and it pops out the top like a toaster pastry!

http://www.palehorseholsters.com/IWB.htm

Well, after a second friend suggested exactly what srfl suggested in this thread (contacting Kahr about the rough barrel), I began to understand that my rough barrel really is an anomoly. So, I went ahead and took srfl's advice and sent Kahr a fairly specific email and asked for their opinion and a new barrel if they thought it was a good idea. I'll post when they reply.

Thanks for having my back, srfl!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links