Kahr P40 guys...a little help

This is a discussion on Kahr P40 guys...a little help within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After I plunked down my money, got the P40, ran a couple of hundred rounds through it and got my C-TAC in the mail....I find ...

Thread: Kahr P40 guys...a little help

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Kahr P40 guys...a little help

After I plunked down my money, got the P40, ran a couple of hundred rounds through it and got my C-TAC in the mail....I find this forum. Until that moment I'd all but cured world hunger. Some of you have some serious feelings, pro & con on the Kahr line up. My only issue to date is a slight reluctance to feed the first round from a full magazine. I'm leaving them fully packed to see if I can relax the springs a bit. All that said, I'm looking for P40 folks to weigh in with the good and bad. I need to stop second guessing my choice or go back to the 1991A1. So how bout it.....what's worked, what hasn't?
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

I purchased a Kahr P40 in 2003, and I absolutely love it. I carry every day and it's my favorite of my two carry pieces (other is a Kimber Tac II pro size).

The first 200 rounds it sucked. Next 300 rounds it was good. Next five hundred rounds is was dependable. After 1,000 rounds it's as reliable as my glocks.

It is thin, light, easily concealable. The finish (I have a bi-tone) remains flawless after almost five years of carry. It has a smooth, easy trigger that doesn't stack ... maybe a little long of pull but at least smooth and easy. Both and I my kids shoot it very well, hitting small targets at ranges beyond what I'd expect.

As with all Kahr, you have to load the first round by locking the slide backward, then inserting the mag and then releasing the slide by manually lowering the slide lock with your thumb. It's a steep climb up the feedramp for the ammo, so if you do it too slow or too gingerly you'll get a hangup. But, at the intended cycle speed it's no problem.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Thanx for your response. Had it been any other day, this would have been exactly what I was looking for (to feel better). The other night I broke it down, cleaned it well after 200 rounds, and took it back out today. EVERY round locked the slide back. Now it won't break down without damaging the gun, as best I can tell. Sure, I did something reassembly but ..... what? I'm done. Going wheel gun I guess. I'm so irrate. It's not tolerable in a carry gun.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Links