What would be your pick?

What would be your pick?

This is a discussion on What would be your pick? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am currently looking at purchacing a ccw. The choices are Bersa 9mm compact, Bersa 380 compact ,kahr cw9. The size of the Kahr seems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would be your pick?

What would be your pick?

I am currently looking at purchacing a ccw. The choices are Bersa 9mm compact, Bersa 380 compact ,kahr cw9. The size of the Kahr seems to be of advantage for ccw carry. What do you think?

gsx

Senior Moderator
    If price is not an issue, I'd pick the Kahr

If price is a factor I'd pick the Bersa UC 9

If price is not an issue why just these 3?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I am willing to take others into consideration. I need to keep the size, weight and caliber about the same though.

I personally love the bersa thunder 380, but fully agree with pgrass about why just these three?
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

Senior Moderator
    Look at Taurus PT-111's
    Glocks
    Sig P232
    M&P 9c
    Taurus 24/7 compact
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Kahr.......discussion over
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Have you held, checked the function or fired any of the guns on your list?

What is your experience with guns in general?

For a carry gun, you need to be comfortable with the function and size of the gun, but reliability is of the greatest importance.

I am not trying to knock any particular gun, but it seems that Kahr's have been getting some posts lately related to reliability. I have very little experience with Kahr's, so I am not going to say they aren't a good gun.

There are lots and lots guns out there that have proven to be reliable have a small package and would work. pgras101 has given a short list of options, all are good guns, and I am sure that quite a few more can be added.

Then again, your going to hear from folks that carry full sized 1911's every day and say it isn't too big or heavy.

The only thing I will say is that if your not going to be a "gun" guy and don't intend on having a large number of guns in your stable, I would go with a 9mm as a starting point. Don't get me wrong I have a Bersa Thunder 380 and carry it sometimes but it is not my daily choice for a defensive gun.

Good luck, and get out and start fondling some pistols.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Out of that list, the Kahr CW9
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I dont own a Kahr or even fired one for that matter but I do own both of the other 2 choices, I carry Both from time to time,the 9mm is a little thicker than the 380 , but you get more power and in my case 6 more shots.A lot of people bash the 380 but I can promise you that NOBODY would want u to shoot them with one.I feel perfectly safe when I carry either of mine.And O yeah if the Kahr is anymore accurate than the Bersas, I would have to see it to believe it.
    Well You Boys Gonna Pull Them Pistols, Or Whistle Dixie.

I have a PT111 and the Bersa .380. I feel that with the polymer frame and steel slide that the pt111 is top heavy, it just doesn't feel balanced. The Taurus has also jammed on several occasions at the range. Thus the PT111 is uncomfortable for me and unreliable so I don't carry it. If I had to pick from the list you posted and price was an issue. IE your short on cash. The cheapest and lightest is going to be the Bersa .380 however its going to have the least power of the weapons you posted. If your OK with that, then that's not a bad choice. My daily carry is a Bersa .380. Anyway, I don't have much experience with the Khar but they do make good guns, they are more expensive though. I know Bersa has a lifetime warranty, does the Khar have that? Does anyone know?
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

IMHO, I would not carry any of the firearms you mentioned other then the Kahr CW9 until I owned them a while and was able to trust them from 1st hand experience.

You should also consider a snubby .38 +P.

You should also consider a Glock, it is a great firearm. Don't just put the Glock in your hand, rent or join someone at the range. Until you fire a Glock, you will not understand how it can feel. If you don't like it after you shoot 20 or so rounds, I understand why you would make a different choice.

However, considering the number of rounds you get out of a sub-compact 9mm Glock vs a slim sub-compact Kahr CW9, I would be hard pressed not to choose the sub-compact 9mm Glock. Part of the reason I have this view is I prefer a .38 +P light weight snubby pocket carry over a slim sub-compact 9mm.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I've tried the snubby. The only down fall is the cylinder dia. I needt to keep it as concealed as possible. It also needs to be 100 percent reliable. I am leaning toward the Kahr cw9. Like I said before I am willing to listen to other ideas though.

gsx

if price is no object the best single stack concealable pistol going IMO is the Para ordnance LDA 45 (I have one) and love it!!!!!!!!!!!or the LDA 9mm if a 9mm is your deal...
    USMC 1984-1992
    To err is human.
    To forgive is divine.
    Neither of which is Marine Corps policy.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

VIP Member
    I have a CW9 & my son has the Bersa. There is very little size difference between the two. I'd pick the CW9 and 9mm over the 380 anyday.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Any would be a very good choice. Choose the one that fits you hand and you will CARRY!

My choice is a Bersa Thunder 380.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links