This is a discussion on Newbie within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys just found this site tonight and pretty much love it already. that being said, its time for my first question. I'm thinking about ...

Thread: Newbie

Question Newbie

Hey guys just found this site tonight and pretty much love it already. that being said, its time for my first question. I'm thinking about getting my CCW permit and new gun. What do you guys reccomend? revolver or auto?
    also, I'm in college and can't break the bank on this new gun/holster. I don't own a pistol right now, I sold my m&p last fall cause i needed the money and somebody showed up with more than i paid for it. I've shot the springfield xd and I like it alot.
    last thing, I have to wear shirt and tie everyday so can't conceal by untucking my shirt. What should I consider? I realize I won't be able to carry on campus cause they will get all upset but even off campus I keep shirts tucked in. Do I just need to learn to wear untucked?
    ok so thats like 5 questions.....don't eat me alive on this.

thanks
    Last edited by HKing; February 14th, 2009 at 02:09 AM.

There's something called a super tuck by Crossbreed holsters. I would peruse the section on holsters in this forum for ideas. As for the weapon Bersa makes the thunder .380 which runs about $250 new and is a proven go bang everytime gun. Of course it's a .380 caliber which many consider somewhat under powered for self defense. I personally carry a Kahr CW9 which can usually be had for less than $400 used. Those are both semi autos. Should you carry a revolver? Maybe. A J-frame snubbie makes a nice conceal weapon but it will be a little wider than either of the two semi autos listed above.

If you can find a way to conceal it the Smith & Wesson Sigma 9ve is a tremendous self defense gun and can be had new for about $350. If you buy it used however, be sure you buy a VE and not one of the early Sigmas. The early guns had problems.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Hey HKing, welcome to the forum.

You should never get "eaten alive" on the boards. That would be plain rude, and we should never be rude!

Find a holster that is an inside the waistband (IWB in the lingo) that is "tuckable." That means that the clips for the belt attach low on the holster and loop up, allowing you to wear it and still tuck your shirt in. There are (naturally) plenty of models and types to choose from. Troll the forum or go visit a good range or gun shop in your area to check out a bunch of options.

Then go find a weapon that you can conceal well and, more importantly, you can shoot well. Go to a range that rents and rent a bunch of possibilities. Shoot them, invest a few bucks, and find the gun that works best in your hand. Then save your lunch money and get it!

FWIW, WV shooter has some great suggestions. I just bought my wife the Bersa Thunder .380 and it's a great little piece. If you get the right SD ammo for it, it's plenty deadly. I carry an XD and love it, though it is not nearly as concealable as that little Bersa.

I prefer SA to revolver, though both have their place in the SD world. That is a matter of opinion and preference; go to the range and shoot both.

Good luck!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Welcome from New York
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend a pock sized gun for campus carry needs. Shirt tucked in is no problem. Check out Kel-tec P3AT or J-frame for a pocket gun and one you can carry every where.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend a pock sized gun for campus carry needs. Shirt tucked in is no problem. Check out Kel-tec P3AT or J-frame for a pocket gun and one you can carry every where.
    He's heading you in the right direction.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

thanks for the replies guys. I'd really like to get something bigger than .380. maybe .357, .38, .40, or 9mm. with 9mm prob being my least favorite. One of these days, I'll have the kimber .45 but for now I gotta go cheaper. do any of you carry the xd sub compact or any of the walthers?
    also, since I always have my back pack with me at school, how would carrying in it work out?

My KelTec P-3AT in Desantis Super Fly pocket holster disappears into my dress khakis without issue. I put them in my right read pocket.
    Heavily Medicated For Your Protection

I'm not trying to answer all of your questions... some prefer a revolver, and some prefer a semi-auto... I prefer the semi-auto... if you've shoot the Springfield XD why not check out a Springfield XDsc... I would never say what to buy... it's too much of a personal choice... but I highly recommend going to a rental range and rent whatever you are considering before you purchase it.

Don Hume makes some very good, not expensive holsters... I would not recommend buying from them... I believe they take too long to deliver their produces... GunnersAlley.com has a good collection of Don Hume holsters in stock.

How to dress is totally up to you, but you do want to make that decision before you buy a holster, because your holster choice needs to work with how you dress... inside the waist band... on the waist band... deep cover (you might look at SmartCarry, which works well with very small carry weapons).
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

I recommend a revolver over an automatic due to basic shot to shot dependability. I prefer the largest handgun one can reasonably conceal on his person but, for some specialized purposes, there's a place for small handguns. They are much overrated and overused in my view.

These two do occasional duty when I can't contrive to hide something larger.

The ubiquitous Smith & Wesson 642 will dependably deliver five rounds of .38 Special +P goodness on demand with no fuss and bother. It always works and isn't troubled by brand or style of ammo. While this one receives good care, it would work if indifferently cared for.

The KelTec P3AT may easily be hidden anywhere and it along with similar models of .380 pistols from other manufacturers are many folks' "always" guns. Mine had a lengthy term of break in and I almost gave up on it. It has proven to be reliable for the last 600 rounds or so but I still have a niggling doubt in the back of my mind that simply isn't there with the Model 642. Seems to be sensitive to proper lubrication.

There's a thread elsewhere (with links to similar older DC threads) exploring the comparative effectiveness of .380 and .38 Special. While handguns are the weak sisters of the firearms world, I've long since satisfied myself that the best .38 Special ammunition, even when used in snubs, is distinctly more effective than the best .380 ammunition.

You may have a point in desiring a little more than a .380. I'll tote it on occasion but realistically consider that I'll be more apprehensive about depending on it if "push came to shove."
    Last edited by bmcgilvray; February 14th, 2009 at 02:44 PM.

thanks for the pointers guys. guess i'm gonna have to go spend sometime at the gun store and see what feels right and see what i can hide.

Bersa also make a ultra compact 9MM that is a good price.

Greetings and Welcome from Fayetteville, NC!!!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Welcome from Washington State.

Just to throw my own 2 cents worth in. I just recently got a Kahr PM9 and so far I love it. I have some of the same constraints that you described concerning the shirt and tie situation and not being able to go around untucked. My PM9 so far has been 100% reliable and it's very small and lightweight even thought it is 9mm. I can easily carry it in a pocket. I am using a DeSantis Nemesis and it works great. The Kahr is a little on the pricey side at $650, but I would rather pay a little more and know it is something I can depend on.

Links