Taurus 1911

Taurus 1911

This is a discussion on Taurus 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone had problems with this particular firearm not feeding hollow point ammo ? The 1st & 2nd round will never go into battery ? ...

Thread: Taurus 1911

Taurus 1911

Has anyone had problems with this particular firearm not feeding hollow point ammo ? The 1st & 2nd round will never go into battery ? This is my third one and all 3 have had the same problem. FMJ has no problem and I've tried every mag known to the industry so it's not the mag ? I thought the 1st one was just it but the other 2 same thing . Polishing the feed ramp doesn't work either ????? Anyone with any suggestions or the same problem .

Sorry, no help. But I was considering the Taurus 1911. I would like to hear if others had the problem. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If you really need it, you will need it really fast. ALWAYS one in the chamber.
    Nuf said!

VIP Member
    What type ammo are you using? Mine chambers Federal HST without a problem. You could also try Federal EFMJ ammo.

Federal Premium - Handgun

Mine has has had no problems with anything I've fed it, even SWC.

I had some problems with my USP not feeding reliably at one point. I put in a new operating spring and have had no problems since. If your PT in newer maybe try a heavier spring. Good Luck

Sam.
    And the old man said, "We'll see..."

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    The only problem I've had with mine is with 200 lswc reloads that I didn't seat quite enough.

.....and that would happen with ANY 1911....

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    None here. Not one Hiccup! Call Taurus! Tell em the problem, it has a lifetime warranty. Tell em to make it right. Hope it works out.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Nope! My PT1911 happily eats anything I feed it.

Not a hiccup here, feeds Win Ranger SXT's just like FMJ's
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

This was one of the pistols on my "get a larger gun" list...
    Im down to 3 or 4 now LOL
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

I've heard of 1911s, mostly the older ones without a polished feed ramp, failing to feed HP ammunition.

Personally, when I used to carry a 1911, I carried FMJ exclusively. Heck, they start out as large as 9mm when properly expanded. .45 caliber hardball feeds more reliably in 1911s, and it's plenty big enough.

JMHO
    Christian. Father. Marine.

YES, Sent mine back to Taurus today for 5 problems. One of them was it won't feed Gold dot hollow points. They seem to dig down instead of going up. I read alot of other forums saying it was a magazine problem and a wilson mag will fix it. But since i was having other issues i just sent it all back.

I spoke with customer service this morning and they said it will take about 4 weeks.

What really hurt was the $37.00 to send it fed-ex. Oh well, it is what it is. I like the gun alot. It is fun to shoot, hopefully when it gets back it will be as reliable as some of my other Taurus guns. I'm sure it will be.

Exclamation Problematic PT1911

Iím not only new to this forum but to the whole forum world in general. I have been out of the Marines for about 3 years and I have just bought my first handgun. I did my research and have herd the good and the bad about the Taurus, after inspection I decided to go with it. After I bought it I spent about 4 hours disassembling and reassembling the ol girl. I fell in love with its fit and its action, although the only thing I had to compare it to was the extremely abused M9 Beretta that I was issued in the Corp. Now I have fed about 300 rounds through her and she has had no issues but I was cleaning it after the range and the left side of the "ambi" safety fell out, not pried out but fell. I took it to the place that I purchased it from and they told me that it was common for the "ambi" safeties to perform this way. I had the option to send it back but I decided just to upgrade to single sided safety and see how that works. Does/has any one had an issue like this?

I shoot mostely fmj through mine but have shot a couple of "good rounds" trough it just to make sure it would function well. Seemed fine but i only shot
    8. They were .45 acp corbon dxp. Too expensive to shoot alot of when i have a stock pile of fmj. just my .02 worth. Good luck though.

None, mine shoots everything I have put in the magazines. The magazines that came with the gun where bad (would not lock the slide after the last round), called Taurus and they sent two new magazine and they run fine. I use the Taurus magazines for practice and carry with Chip McCormick magazines.
    Semper Fi

Links