Kahr PM9 and ammo

This is a discussion on Kahr PM9 and ammo within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I FINALLY was able to get to a shooting range to break-in my PM9 that I bought in January. I ran through 100 rounds each ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr PM9 and ammo

Kahr PM9 and ammo

I FINALLY was able to get to a shooting range to break-in my PM9 that I bought in January. I ran through 100 rounds each of Remington UMC and another manufacturer that I got from the local shop called Bronze. I had no problems whatsoever except for me getting used to the way the gun aims and not getting tight groups. (They did settle down significantly after the 200 round breakin was done. Probably because I figured out what the sight picture should be.)

Then I had a box of Winchester White box. In the 50 rounds that I shot of the WWB, I had 2 failure to feeds (one for each magazine) that were easily cleared. It looked like the round wasn't popping up like it should. It could have been from my fingers getting tired of loading the magazines and not pushing them back all of the way into the magazine. After this, I did shoot a magazine of Speer Gold Dots to get a warm fuzzy that it would load since I was going to carry with that. No problems with those 7.

I started wondering if I should even bother with the WWB anymore or go with the cheaper Remington for target loads. So that leaves me this question... What ammo does other PM9 owners use regularly? That way I don't spend $50 on ammo and find out what others already know.
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

2. Remove Ads

I don't have a PM9 (a friend had one that was a POS so that kinda turned me off)...

the reason I'm posting is simply to advise you to fire a lot more than just one magazine of your chosen "carry ammo." Seven rounds is not enough of a sample size to really prove anything.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I understand that 200 rounds is the accepted "test" of ammo. I only had a box of 20 and my main goal was to just break-in the gun per the manual. I'll be running through the ammo more later, but the expense would be significant and the wife would balk at me burning through $150 worth of ammo in about an hour. So I'm gonna spread it out a bit.
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

Distinguished Member
    My PM9 eats everything I've tried. I have found that the little gun needs to be well lubed. You hear/read people say that it needs to be "wet" to run well.

If I understand correctly, you fired 250 rounds. I have found that when shooting more than a 100 rounds through it in one range visit, I will shoot some lube into it before moving to the next 100.

My PM9 had some problems initially, so after a trip back to Kahr, I ran the break in a second time with the new barrel. I blasted it out with Gun Scrubber every 50 and sprayed lubed it with Rem Lube. Since then I have had no problems.

When I arrive at the range, I fire 3 magazines of my carry ammo - just as carried. With the mags empty, I move onto the practice rounds.

YMMV.

Mine will feed WWB, Speer Gold Dot and Win Ranger T ammo reliably. It does not like the Federal HST rounds, I think the nose is too flat. My preference is 147gr Speer Gold Dot, because it's on DocGKR's list of acceptably performing handgun ammo.

I used WWB for my PM9"s break in without a FTF. Since then I tested Gold Dots and Corbon DPX for carry. Both worked and I have decided to use the Corbon

Administrator
    My PM9 eats anything. I just shoot whatever is on hand.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Same here. So far, I've fed mine:
    Remington Golden Saber
    Federal HST
    Winchester Ranger
    Magtech
    WWB
    Blazer Aluminum
    Blazer Brass
    Remington UMC
    and it's never hiccuped.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Mine feeds on everything, including the steel cased Wolf crap

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Same here. So far, I've fed mine:
    Remington Golden Saber
    Federal HST
    Winchester Ranger
    Magtech
    WWB
    Blazer Aluminum
    Blazer Brass
    Remington UMC
    and it's never hiccuped.

Hoss

How many rounds of HST have you run through it? I haven't tried any since the early days of owning the PM9 and now I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle and cost of re-testing.

2000+ rounds 100% reliable
    Winchester Ranger
    Win Ranger T
    Remington UMC
    WWB
    Blazer Aluminum

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Life has been good to my PM9 eating the following:
    HST 147g
    WWB
    Blazer Brass

Ive been using "Independence" brand in mine which is made by CCI. I also have shot a few Speer Gold Dot 124g+P which also worked perfectly.
    God & Guns!

Up to almost 500 through mine.

Hornady TAP 147 HP
    Federal American Eagle 115 FMJ
    Winchester SXT 147 HP
    Blazer Aluminum 115 FMJ
    Remington UMC 115 FMJ
    PMC 115 FMJ
    PMC Starfire 124 SFHP

Still waiting for my orders to get HST 124 +P and non +P
    Jeff
    NRA Member
    Kimber Ultra Carry II, Glock G23 & G36, Kahr PM9, Winchester 1300 Defender 12gauge pump
    (my favorite but hard to hide)

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Me, too. I've run Blazer aluminum, WWB, Remington UMC, Federal HST and Hydrashock, and Remington Golden Saber through it with no hiccups or coughs. I found 124 grain standard 9mm (i.e., not +P) works best for me in that gun.

Btw, that gun uses a traditional revolver target type sight picture, not the "tactical" picture that glocks & sigs use. That is, the target appears above the front sight, not under it.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links